Kirk Herbstreit

I'm happy Tennessee won but the Tennessee offense isn't built for running down the clock.
And the defense is not built for slowing down a team like Florida. Our offense won the game because our defense could not slow them down. I really believe the difference in the game was Richardson's fumble. Also, our long drive before the first half expired. Teams from the past would not have ended the first half and began the second half like it did. We are making progress but much work still needs to be done.

Reactions: Jeff Clark
We slowed down the pace almost too much allowing Florida to catch their breath. That allowed them to make it close and almost win it in the end. THANK GOD for the bye week so we can try to get this issue solved.

Isn't it nice to be able to correct these issues after a win during the bye week? I really like Coach Huepels approach to this point. He's a leader of people. Calm under chaos type of person that people, who want to be led, gravitate towards.

How sensitive some people in fanbases get over what a commentator says about their team will never cease being hilarious to me.

Kirk is one of, if not the best college football analyst in the business. He's going to be wrong sometimes, but more often he's right. And I've seen him both praise Tennessee and criticize Tennessee over the years, going back to the very beginning of gameday. He bases what he says about programs based off what he thinks about them in those current moments.

It's his job.

It's nothing to get upset about. There isn't some secret conspiracy where he's rooting against the Vols. It's just opinions in the moment.

I think the thing that separates KH from other ESPN analysts is his how unmasked he is about his dislike for TN. When the whole Schiano thing came down - he was THE most vocal critic of the TN fanbase, he looked directly into the camera and went off on all of us. preached at us. And then we find out that KH has the SAME AGENT at Schiano, and the whole thing had nothing to do with any of the things KH was shaming us over, it was all about money. He has made no attempt to be impartial or professional, and he has made no attempt to hide the fact that KH is really only about KH.

And as far as his care for Lee Corso - the man needs to go. Corso should have retired years ago, and it's embarrassing to plop him on that seat each week and have him ramble on incoherently.

I think the thing that separates KH from other ESPN analysts is his how unmasked he is about his dislike for TN. When the whole Schiano thing came down - he was THE most vocal critic of the TN fanbase, he looked directly into the camera and went off on all of us. preached at us. And then we find out that KH has the SAME AGENT at Schiano, and the whole thing had nothing to do with any of the things KH was shaming us over, it was all about money. He has made no attempt to be impartial or professional, and he has made no attempt to hide the fact that KH is really only about KH.

And as far as his care for Lee Corso - the man needs to go. Corso should have retired years ago, and it's embarrassing to plop him on that seat each week and have him ramble on incoherently.
100% true Corso should have retired after he had a major stroke.

Given what has happened with Nashville's population, no, unless the Titans are super hot/winning a lot(like last year the stadium was packed pretty well towards the end of the regular season with Titans fans, then the playoff game vs Cinci it was rocking pretty well) they're not going to have anywhere near the fan support of UT. That's the case with 95% of the NFL teams though really. You've got the Steelers, Packers and weirdly Raiders given their troubles of late(success wise anyway) who will always pack their stadium and/or travel really well. Beyond them(and maybe I'm blanking on like a 4th or something), it's all dependent upon how good the NFL team is. NFL teams don't have built in fan bases via students or alumni like colleges do.

Back in 99 through, 2008ish? I guess?, the Titans were probably in the top 10 in the league in fan support I'd argue. Now they were really successful from 99-03 and some decent success 06-08 which obviously factored in, but Nashville was still largely native Tennesseans.

Nowadays Nashville is filled with so many people who have moved from out of state(started with an influx of people from Detroit/Michigan due to the automotive industry, and now Nashville just booming in growth in so many fields, so many people from so many other states now) that you don't really have quite the same Titans loyalty that you once did.

Much like Atlanta, Nashville is full of transplants and is a frontrunner. If the team is doing great, then the locals will show up. If not, then it's full of rival fans or empty seats....

I've seen Ravens fans take over the stadium a couple of times. It's not like that's a primetime franchise.

How sensitive some people in fanbases get over what a commentator says about their team will never cease being hilarious to me.

Kirk is one of, if not the best college football analyst in the business. He's going to be wrong sometimes, but more often he's right. And I've seen him both praise Tennessee and criticize Tennessee over the years, going back to the very beginning of gameday. He bases what he says about programs based off what he thinks about them in those current moments.

It's his job.

It's nothing to get upset about. There isn't some secret conspiracy where he's rooting against the Vols. It's just opinions in the moment.

Agree 100%. There are more important things to get upset about than what a professional sports broadcaster/prognosticator says about your team. He’s doing his job, which he’s very good at, and like every meteorologist in the world, is sometimes wrong. Many of the posters on here need to get over themselves.

Reactions: peaygolf
I don't get it, Herbie has been very complimentary of UT under Heupel. And he has said Nico is the best player in the country so props on recruiting too. If someone is mad that he was hard on UT under Pruitt, Butch or Fooley, was he wrong?

People don't like a hypocrite. You saw all the crying a couple of years ago but a couple of years before that, you saw a huge unconscious racial bias with how he compared Gaulden and Baker Mayfield..

People don't like a hypocrite. You saw all the crying a couple of years ago but a couple of years before that, you saw a huge unconscious racial bias with how he compared Gaulden and Baker Mayfield..
I mean, when someone's opinion is constantly on the record it's easy to find inconsistencies. If you or I had everything we said on record we might want to take a few things back. I got no issue with Herbie like I do other media members that I feel genuinely root against UT.

"There’s been three hours of Tennessee. I live in Nashville. . .. All this talk about Tennessee, I just picture Florida sitting in their hotel getting mad,” Herbstreit said.

(He followed the statement with a mini-Gator chomp.)

*Herbstreit after turning off his mic at the end of his beloved Ohio State game...

TENNESSEE WINS!!!!

4dyi65.gif
View attachment 494194
To be fair, he wasn’t totally wrong. Florida came out ready to play and executed at an extremely high level. AND WE STILL WON!!!!!

Man, I just can’t stop saying that! I love it!

Let’s be real. Herbstreit IS biased - and it shows….

If Tennessee or Alabama or ANYBODY was play Ohio State - which side do you think ole Kirk would be on?

NUFF SAID!

He picked FL to win yesterday, **** him.
I couldn't care less what they say in the studio. Fact is, we had the game won ON THE FIELD where it counts. Up by 11 with a few minutes to play and allowed them to score again and almost win was inexcusable . If that had happened, our coaches contract would have been canceled immediately. I'm enjoying the win, but bigger slices are on our plate. We need to learn how to sustain a lead if we get it.

I couldn't care less what they say in the studio. Fact is, we had the game won ON THE FIELD where it counts. Up by 11 with a few minutes to play and allowed them to score again and almost win was inexcusable . If that had happened, our coaches contract would have been canceled immediately. I'm enjoying the win, but bigger slices are on our plate. We need to learn how to sustain a lead if we get it.
Just win baby!

I mean, when someone's opinion is constantly on the record it's easy to find inconsistencies. If you or I had everything we said on record we might want to take a few things back. I got no issue with Herbie like I do other media members that I feel genuinely root against UT.
I agree with part of what you said. Many of my volnation posts have been done 9 beers and 4 hours deep into reading the board. I would love to have a lot of those back.

That being said, screw the virtue signaling Kirk Herbstreit. I hope I live long enough to have a football weekend without him.

Contract cancelled? WTF!

QUOTE="Manchester Vol, post: 21734015, member: 86352"]Anyone have his address-I know a guy that would like to help him move back to Ohio.[/QUOTE]
His phone # is 867-5309. He will also answer to the name Jenny.

Last edited:
Y'all hate the guy because he picked Florida to win? SMH. You can't blame him for that based on past results. The guy loves college football and does a good job of providing good PR for the sport.
Yep. Hard to go against history. I'll confess that I also picked UF to win. Having seen...I now believe. Yeah...me of little faith. So glad to be wrong.

VN Store

Back