Am I the only one who can admit im a horrible fan

Jesus, I live in Roanoke, Va. My girlfriend is a VT Alum. We went to game Thursday against WVU. Ugly....we had people over tonight and I was a mess...no body understood and I was a wallflower - even after the final... it just takes an emotional toll most dont understand....
Most folks that have been a Vol Football fan for the past 10+ years probably need therapy.
I realized I need help last night as I was pretty sure Florida might win after their onsides kicks recovery. 🤦

Reactions: Big Al Orange
You talking about the Rick Clausen Monday night game due to hurricane katrina (can’t remember which one for sure) I believe… great game!! I knew it went into it, I didn’t remember it being 5 ot’s though…
Yeah, I looked it up and seems I'm wrong on the 5 ot's ....they won in ot but not 5. Still a great game I missed cause I gave up and turned it off early.

Yeah, I looked it up and seems I'm wrong on the 5 ot's ....they won in ot but not 5. Still a great game I missed cause I gave up and turned it off early.

I had class the next morning (I was a non-traditional college student at the time) but stayed up to watch the whole thing. I’ve learned over the years , with the Vols, the game isn’t over till the clock reads 0:00…

Reactions: HalfullVol
So this might be a long post. Don't hate me. So my wife told me today that its "awkward" to watch the game with me. She also said that i'm a horrible fan. Keep in mind I have been a die-hard Tennessee fan since I was like 8 years old. This was back when we was dominate and owned the SEC. Also I've done this while living in Alabama in a city that loves Alabama Football. Anyways thats enough back story. So around the 3rd qtr I started to realize I'm not fun to watch the game with. I just get so hyped for the games and then Tennessee's Defense just plays awful and I'm that guy that is very negative. "This is why Tennessee will always be Tennessee". "This soft defense is why we only win maybe 7-8 games a year". I love Tennessee with a passion but with the last few years I have just become so negative during the games. I write this novel to ask....How do I watch the game and just enjoy it even if Tennessee plays awful. I'm taking the first step and admitting I'm a awful fan and I wanna change lol!!!
I, too have VDS. I cant at present find a self help group for a 12 step recovery process. During the DBP(Dooley Butch Pruitt) era I would often turn the TV off and just occasionally glance at iphone scores. Yesterday's game was ,ore of the same. I just knew Florida would pull off a miracle pass and win the game. On a more positive note WE WON!!! Maybe this is the 1st step in recovering from VDS. I know this is heresy and should get me kicked off this board, but . . . I've hated Florida for most of my life, but things changed yesterday. They were gutsy and played out of their face. AR was astounding in his resiliency. I don't think they need to be ashamed of anything. We won because of Hendon just like the season he gave us last year. This might turn out to be a good thing. We have no reason to be overconfident in the games ahead. Just approach them like a mountain climber. If we can knock off another *** (Florida Alabama Georgia) team I will be overjoyed. Good day enjoy your Sunday everyone. Go to church!

So this might be a long post. Don't hate me. So my wife told me today that its "awkward" to watch the game with me. She also said that i'm a horrible fan. Keep in mind I have been a die-hard Tennessee fan since I was like 8 years old. This was back when we was dominate and owned the SEC. Also i've done this while living in Alabama in a city that loves Alabama Football. Anyways thats enough back story. So around the 3rd qtr I started to realize I'm not fun to watch the game with. I just get so hyped for the games and then Tennessee's Defense just plays awful and I'm that guy that is very negative. "This is why Tennessee will always be Tennessee". "This soft defense is why we only win maybe 7-8 games a year". I love Tennessee with a passion but with the last few years I have just become so negative during the games. I write this novel to ask....How do I watch the game and just enjoy it even if Tennessee plays awful. I'm taking the first step and admitting I'm a awful fan and I wanna change lol!!!
A Valium prescription

I remember years ago Tenn was down 21 -0 to LSU playing on the road. I chunked my remote at the TV and just turned it off knowing we'd never come back. The next morning I turn on the TV and get this, ESPN is replaying the game like they often do to fill in air time....so the game is into overtime---about 5th one and Tenn winds up winning the game. I can't imagine being a LSU fan, being up 21 to zip at half time and losing at home in overtime. I think Clausen was the QB at the time

Rick Clausen

I'm a bad fan too. I'm extremely pessimistic. I was still convinced we were going to lose when we went up 38-21. Yes, I have BVS, but considering some of the losses we have had over the last 15-20 years, can you really blame me?
I was convinced UT would go into prevent offense and the game would come down to the final play. I was EXACTLY right.

Heupel going all Fulmer on the last series is just as frustrating as watching our defensive backs.

So this might be a long post. Don't hate me. So my wife told me today that its "awkward" to watch the game with me. She also said that i'm a horrible fan. Keep in mind I have been a die-hard Tennessee fan since I was like 8 years old. This was back when we was dominate and owned the SEC. Also i've done this while living in Alabama in a city that loves Alabama Football. Anyways thats enough back story. So around the 3rd qtr I started to realize I'm not fun to watch the game with. I just get so hyped for the games and then Tennessee's Defense just plays awful and I'm that guy that is very negative. "This is why Tennessee will always be Tennessee". "This soft defense is why we only win maybe 7-8 games a year". I love Tennessee with a passion but with the last few years I have just become so negative during the games. I write this novel to ask....How do I watch the game and just enjoy it even if Tennessee plays awful. I'm taking the first step and admitting I'm a awful fan and I wanna change lol!!!

As a fan why would you expect to be able to enjoy a game when the Vols are playing poorly? Fans aren’t supposed to be able to enjoy bad play or losses by their team. Players have to be able to get their mind right and move on to the next play their next opportunity to make the play. Fans not so much, we get to dwell on plays and games for years never letting it go.

We are the most passionate fan base in the country. Hands down. We’ve stuck with this program through the worst of times and those of us who grew up in the late 80s and 90s were lucky enough to see some good times as well. I remember the year after we won the natty, we went 10-3 and people were calling it a “down year” lol. Tennessee fans are gonna be Tennessee fans. But we buy a ton of merch, pack that big ass stadium and travel well.

I'm a clone of you. Just ask my wife. But what gets to me the most is the same mistakes, same areas of the defense (DB's) and the same pos coach( Martinez) We went though the years of Butch with him and now he's Back. I cringed when Hep named him on staff. Just look at his Bio I bet he has stock in Two men and a Truck.

My dog runs outside when he realizes I am watching the game. but to be clear, I am not necessarily negative. Just very loud and angry. Mostly angry at the other team, but also at some of the bad plays by our guys. Maybe getting mad at a muffed tackle is a form of negativity, but what I typically don't do is give up in the middle of the 2nd like a buddy of mine I was texting with today started to do

I have a new puppy and it scares him when I watch the Vols with me yelling at the TV and cheering when something happens good. It’s funny.

Reactions: BanditVol
This is why I posted on here. I know some are going to troll me but I needed to know I wasn't the only one. I use to be superstitious to the point I would turn the game off because I always thought they played better when I wasn't watching. I've learned that I miss out on big plays in games and I had to just overcome that stupid crap lol
I will admit I did blaspheme when they got that onside kick. My wife took the grandchildren and went outside. I’m really sorry about that and I told them so.

Ya know, I used to be the same way. But the university itself took care of that by:

1. Replacing the Great John Ward with the neutral and Boring Bob Kesling.
2. Waiting way too long to fire Fulmer.
3. Replacing Fulmer with Kiffin.
4. Replacing Kiffin with Dooley
5. Replacing Dooley with Jones.
6. Replacing Jones by bringing back Fulmer, and him hiring Pruitt.

Now in between all that? Targeting became a thing, fans got addicted to singing Rocky Top, even when our QB was calling an audible, and if I tune in for the score on the radio, I have to STILL listen to Boring Bob. So that kinda cured me of what you are still afflicted with.

So, long story short (Too Late)? So far, the positives since has been:

1. Hiring Danny White (I hope)
2. Hiring Heupel (I hope)
3. Finally getting the Vols letters (TWICE) back where they belong.

Now, I may relapse back into hopeful mode, but I am still expecting an administrative 5h1t show to screw that up again. So, I
am still getting my sports fix with the Packers, the world champion Colorado Avalanche, and the Sydney Swans. ( anyone who caught the Grand Final Saturday morning? UGH!) But with a Florida defeat? I am still kinda happy about the Vols. And it's about time.

i feel you. I was there. I’m 35 and I too have been a fan since I was 8. The past 20 years has consumed us. People joke about a curse, but that’s exactly what it felt like. It’s happened so many times for so long, it has been engrained in us. I took a step back and focused more on the things that I can control that make me happy. We have no control over what happens in these games unless you attend a game and then you can give your all to help. Other than that, you just gotta realize it’s football. Step back and enjoy the game like we were meant to enjoy it. Yes winning helps. GO VOLS!!

Reactions: Stephen Gray
Also, my wife is in much more support now. When a bad play happens she does her best to distract me for a sec and take my mind off of it. Sometimes it works. I always have it in my mind, but the thought of her trying warms my heart and always makes me smile.

This is a really long thread on a really important issue! But I'm surprised no one has proposed an obvious solution to this problem - Buffalo Wild Wings. No, it's not comfy like the Screaming Orange A/V room you've spent millions on, but it's just you and other sport fans of all persuasions, eating junk food & watching any number of games at the same time. Everybody is yelling! Some are throwing chicken bones! The best thing about it is you can't hate on your beloved team as much as you can at home, because there are fans of the opposite team in the room with you, hollering about how bad your team is -- it's up to you to defend them! Of course you have left any non-obsessed family members & the dog elsewhere to do their own thing, while you safely go into hysterics & have more onion rings. Get an uber when it's over & you're ready to go be a normal human being again. Save the A/V room & the grill for the cupcake* game. Go Vols!!!

*I started to say "the Vandy game" here, but ... you know.

This is a really long thread on a really important issue! But I'm surprised no one has proposed an obvious solution to this problem - Buffalo Wild Wings. .... .

p.s. While typing this, I briefly looked up at the tv & saw the Titan defense intercept a tipped pass in the endzone, something I don't think I've ever seen before. You have to watch the games.

Enroll in the George Constanta school of Anger Management.

VN Store

Back