Am I the only one who can admit im a horrible fan

So this might be a long post. Don't hate me. So my wife told me today that its "awkward" to watch the game with me. She also said that i'm a horrible fan. Keep in mind I have been a die-hard Tennessee fan since I was like 8 years old. This was back when we was dominate and owned the SEC. Also i've done this while living in Alabama in a city that loves Alabama Football. Anyways thats enough back story. So around the 3rd qtr I started to realize I'm not fun to watch the game with. I just get so hyped for the games and then Tennessee's Defense just plays awful and I'm that guy that is very negative. "This is why Tennessee will always be Tennessee". "This soft defense is why we only win maybe 7-8 games a year". I love Tennessee with a passion but with the last few years I have just become so negative during the games. I write this novel to ask....How do I watch the game and just enjoy it even if Tennessee plays awful. I'm taking the first step and admitting I'm a awful fan and I wanna change lol!!!
You have absolutely no control. The sun will come up regardless. Take care of your' family.

So this might be a long post. Don't hate me. So my wife told me today that its "awkward" to watch the game with me. She also said that i'm a horrible fan. Keep in mind I have been a die-hard Tennessee fan since I was like 8 years old. This was back when we was dominate and owned the SEC. Also i've done this while living in Alabama in a city that loves Alabama Football. Anyways thats enough back story. So around the 3rd qtr I started to realize I'm not fun to watch the game with. I just get so hyped for the games and then Tennessee's Defense just plays awful and I'm that guy that is very negative. "This is why Tennessee will always be Tennessee". "This soft defense is why we only win maybe 7-8 games a year". I love Tennessee with a passion but with the last few years I have just become so negative during the games. I write this novel to ask....How do I watch the game and just enjoy it even if Tennessee plays awful. I'm taking the first step and admitting I'm a awful fan and I wanna change lol!!!

I wouldn’t say this makes you a bad fan. What I would argue, is that this isn’t a super useful or helpful way to look at things in terms of your own happiness. You care, and that is good, but I think it is healthy to moderate how upset you become.

Some stoic quotes, because why not:

“You have power over your mind - not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength.” - Marcus Aurelius

“If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself, but to your estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” - Marcus Aurelius

“Never let the future disturb you. You will meet it, if you have to, with the same weapons of reason which today arm you against the present.” - Marcus Aurelius

“The soul becomes dyed by the color of its thoughts.” - Marcus Aurelius

“There is only one way to happiness and that is to cease worrying about things which are beyond the power or our will.” - Epictetus

“Any person capable of angering you becomes your master; he can anger you only when you permit yourself to be disturbed by him.” - Epictetus

“Freedom is the only worthy goal in life. It is won by disregarding things that lie beyond our control.” - Epictetus

Reactions: Vol in Buckeye Land
Passion is fine. Being an raging jerk isn't.

Grow up a little. We've had two solid decades to find coping strategies to lackluster football.

Walk it off, watch something else for a minute, play with or feed your pets/kids. Anything is better than just sitting there and stewing over something out of your control.

Last edited:
Reactions: VollyParton
Wife and kids leave the man cave when I watch the game. She asks too many questions, not to find things out, but to talk. 😒

Not so much bad as passionately invested year in and year out. I dont get so loud anymore when something goes wrong.....the last 15 years has triggered a mechanism that shuts all the negative out. We were spoiled winning so much throughput the 90s+ that I would literally get migraines. My wife did ask me if I was alright a couple of times during the game. Why sure I am....Ok just making sure your not in there stroking out on me.

Reactions: MackDaddyVol
I think the single biggest thing you can do to improve the experience for your family during games is this: keep in mind, on EVERY SINGLE PLAY, that football is not a game of perfection. There are no perfect plays. There are no perfect players.

Accept and embrace our team for who they are, not who you want them to be.

Forgive. Forgive instantaneously. Even as the lad is making the bone-headed mistake, forgive him right then and there. It's okay. The other side is making those bone-headed mistakes, too. You just don't notice their errors because you're too busy honing in on ours.

Football is a sloppy, clunky game. It's like a car with square wheels; things almost never go easy.

Accept that, be forgiving, love them regardless, and you'll enjoy the game a whole lot more. And your family will enjoy being with you more, too.

Good luck.

Go Vols!

Last edited:
I just watch the game alone. I try to watch the game sometimes with someone else, but then I get superstitious. Like the Pitt game, we started off bad and I thought I should just go watch it alone. I go to watch it alone and right when I do we get an interception.

Reactions: The_Big_Orange
It’s normal sir, you have a case of bvs.. I also suffer from this.

You’re not an awful fan. If you don’t get mad or frustrated at times you aren’t invested, which is OK too. A majority of fans view it as a social event, so people who post on message boards are the minority and are really passionate and invested.

Last edited:
I’ve followed the Vols since 1963. I’ve seen it all, good, bad, ugly, mountaintop, rock bottom, etc. I’ve been a season ticket holder 40 yrs. I was livid that Tennessee was sweating out a Hail Mary to end the game.

Reactions: orangebloodforlife
Two questions I'll ask.
Why did anyone think the Fla game was going to be easy??
We knew coming into the season the defense was the weak point.
Why did anyone think the defense would keep fla in check ??

September 2016, I’m sitting in Neyland Stadium watching my beloved Vols play the much hated gators… at halftime we were down 21 - 3. O wasn’t the least bit upset, in fact, I knew we were gonna win. I didn’t know how, I just knew. I continued to hope, I continued to believe and I continued to cheer on the good guys! If memory serves me correctly I believe we came out and opened the second half with an offensive turnover, but after that, it was pretty much all Vols. Believe, & never give up hope. Also, while it is extremely important, remember whether the Vols win, lose or draw you still love them, but there are other things in life that are important too!

Reactions: Stephen Gray
Exactly man. Like I'm still suffering from the LSU loss when we had 12 men on the field and everyone thought we stopped them for the win. Its sucks though because I could tell my wife was not having a good time. I'm okay with losing to a team with better players. I hate losing when we make mistakes. After today i'm going to deff work on it though.
I remember years ago Tenn was down 21 -0 to LSU playing on the road. I chunked my remote at the TV and just turned it off knowing we'd never come back. The next morning I turn on the TV and get this, ESPN is replaying the game like they often do to fill in air time....so the game is into overtime---about 5th one and Tenn winds up winning the game. I can't imagine being a LSU fan, being up 21 to zip at half time and losing at home in overtime. I think Clausen was the QB at the time

Battered Vol Syndrome (BVS) is indeed real.
I dont enjoy watching UT games with ANYONE. I want to be able to scream and rant and curse and turn the volume up or mute it and pace the room and change tvs that I watch.
I’m fully aware that none of this is rational appropriate adult behavior.
but I’m a fanatic when it comes to UT football.
always have been and always will be.
But I’m perfectly fine watching games with other people that the Vols aren’t involved in.

I did well until they went for in on 4th down at their own 28. I don't consider that straight up football philosophy. They "knew" they could do it, but most coaches would not have done that. I hate playing teams that always seem to get the calls, the plays, and the bounces. I lost it on that call. Then as I basked in the warmth of victory, they stole that warmth by almost winning the game. I was left with a hollow feeling instead of a warm feeling.

I just want to say that in terms of fandom, that the sheer number of people actively posting when I got up at 5:00 AM was both stunning and impressive. I had a watch party with some grilled gator that rolled on till after midnight, and I’m sure that many of you had a similar Saturday. Yet here we are, hungover with little to no sleep. Avoiding scooping up the beer cans on the patio to both celebrate and bemoan our victory yesterday. I hope this place never changes.

I remember years ago Tenn was down 21 -0 to LSU playing on the road. I chunked my remote at the TV and just turned it off knowing we'd never come back. The next morning I turn on the TV and get this, ESPN is replaying the game like they often do to fill in air time....so the game is into overtime---about 5th one and Tenn winds up winning the game. I can't imagine being a LSU fan, being up 21 to zip at half time and losing at home in overtime. I think Clausen was the QB at the time

You talking about the Rick Clausen Monday night game due to hurricane katrina (can’t remember which one for sure) I believe… great game!! I knew it went into it, I didn’t remember it being 5 ot’s though…

Reactions: VollyParton

I used to be that way myself. I would get upset at players that didn't execute and scream at them. My whole outlook on games changed in 1990.

Tennessee was a big favorite over Alabama and lost the game 9-6. For an hour after the game I sat in my seats watching Alabama fans celebrating to my right and I was just feeling so depressed. I sat there and said to myself, this just doesn't make any sense. I sit here with these feelings and I get angry when these kids don't execute and there is none of that in my control. That doesn't make any sense. You can't do anything to change an execution by either team. You do nothing to prepare for the games. Its all on 18-22 year old kids to do what they are supposed to. Since that day, my philosophy has been just to watch and enjoy the games. Don't get too high or too low. See the mistakes for what they are, kids trying to make plays but being human and making plays.

I've seen hundreds of Tennessee practices and watched the team prepare. I've seen coaches working with the players and seen how the players prepare. They work very hard to get ready for games. But being human, coaches make bad calls and players make bad plays. Just going to happen. Even easy plays they will make mistakes. I always remember something David Cutcliffe said to me, it only takes one mistake by a single player to blow up a plays execution. He said on almost every play call, at least one kid is going to miss his execution. As a coach, you just hope it doesn't impact the play negatively. A miss execution could be just because the kid on the other team caused it to happen because he was just better that time.

Its hard to get over being an intense fan. But it makes life easier.

VN Store

Back