The Dugout - General Topics, Chat, Random Photos and Memes.......No Politics

After this pathetic game by the Braves last night, I think I don't care anymore for a repeat.
How can you not score just 1 run to tie & then go from there for a chance to win it?
Maybe the Braves players are burned out for some reason. It showed up on them last night.
I still want them to repeat because I always want them to win but there have been several games this season where they just have not shown up to play. I understand 162 games is a long season but don’t act like you haven’t had this schedule for a long time. They played 154 games for the longest time until they increased to 162 in 1962. And they are pampered like they never were in the past. It’s unacceptable and the majority of that falls on Snitker for not motivating his team imo.

I'm not watching them. I can't stand to see them fall off when they were so close.
I turned back to check the score & it was 4-0 Philly. The players have given up on winning.
Besides the 3 games with the Braves, the Mets have 3 games with Oakland, 2 games with Miami, and 3 games with Washington remaining. They are all but assured of winning the division at this point. If the Braves win the division, the word “shocked” would be an understatement.

On September 24 in Baseball History...
  • 1916 - Marty Kavanagh, Indians utility man, hits the American League's first pinch-hit grand slam for Cleveland in a 5-3 win over the Red Sox. The ball rolls through a hole in the fence and cannot be retrieved in time for a play at the plate.

• 1929 - Tom Zachary of the Yankees wins his 12th without a loss 5-3 over Boston. He is the first pitcher to go 12-0 for a season.

• 1934 - Idle Detroit wins the pennant, as the Red Sox beat the Yankees 5-0 in the season finale at Yankee Stadium. Babe Ruth walks in the first inning, limps to first base, and leaves for a pinch runner in his last home game as a Yankee.

• 1946 - Disappointing on the field, the Yankees nevertheless finish their home season with an attendance of 2,265,512. The best previous draw was the 1929 Cubs at 1,485,166. Total Major League attendance was 18.5 million, 75 percent more than 1945.

• 1948 - The Yankees whip the Red Sox 9-6 while Cleveland loses at Detroit, 4-3. New York, Boston and Cleveland are now tied for first place in the American League with identical 91-56 records.

• 1957 - In the last game at Ebbets Field, 6,702 fans watch Dodgers lefty Danny McDevittprevail over the Pirates 2-0. Gil Hodges has the last RBI.

• 1969 - Home runs by Donn Clendenon and Ed Charles, and Gary Gentry's four-hitter, clinch the National League East for the Mets, who defeat Steve Carlton and the Cards 6-0. As the game ends, a large number of the 54,928 fans pour onto the field ripping up huge chunks of sod. Seven fans suffer fractures in the celebration.

• 1974 - Al Kaline doubles off Dave McNally for his 3,000th career hit, as the Tigers beat the Orioles, 5-4.

• 1979 - Pete Rose singles as the Phillies fall to the Cardinals, 7-2. Rose reaches 200 hits in a season for the tenth time. He breaks the Major League record of nine such seasons held by Ty Cobb.

• 1980 - The Braves, with 24,897 watching, beat the Astros 4-2 at Atlanta-Fulton County Stadium, pushing the Braves over the one million attendance mark for the season. The eleven other National League teams have already reached that milestone, making this the first season ever in which all the teams in one league have done so.

• 1984 - Rick Sutcliffe pitches a two-hitter in a 4-1 win over Pittsburgh to clinch the National League East title for the Cubs, who will be making their first postseason appearance since 1945. The win is Sutcliffe's 14th in a row.

• 1985 - Expos outfielder Andre Dawson slugs three home runs, including a pair of three-run shots in a 12-run fifth inning, to lead Montreal to a wild 17-15 win over the Cubs at Wrigley Field. Dawson joins Willie McCovey as the only players to hit two home runs in one inning on two different occasions.

• 1992 - Toronto's Dave Winfield becomes the oldest player in Major League history to reach the 100-RBI plateau. The 40-year-old does the trick in his 2,700th career game.

Reactions: MAD and feathersax

VN Store

Back