NBA to end one and done rule. Big blow to the blue bloods?

Don’t see this really hurting the blue bloods. With NIL Certain guys will want that one year of college experience “being the man” and collecting that spending money.

It’s not been said it’s ending, at this point it’s unlikely to change, and if it does it’s quite a few years down the road.

Reactions: butchna
They'll just recruit the top guys that aren't heading to the NBA and move everyone else down the food chain a few notches.
But once you get past the top 10 or so, the talent level starts to flatten out. There’s also a lot more uncertainty, so coaches’ evaluations are going to be more important for those schools used to getting the best of the best every year. Like the poster above said though, that’s assuming the top guys don’t still go to college with NIL potential.

I think it does hurt the blue bloods. The difference between the top 10 kids and top 50 kids is a lot wider then the kids ranked 11-20 and 40-50. Just my two cents. Brings everyone closer.

Reactions: ClockworkOrange
I think it does hurt the blue bloods. The difference between the top 10 kids and top 50 kids is a lot wider then the kids ranked 11-20 and 40-50. Just my two cents. Brings everyone closer.
The blue bloods when there was no one and dones are still for the most part the blue bloods of today, not sure why folks think that would change.

They'll just recruit the top guys that aren't heading to the NBA and move everyone else down the food chain a few notches.

Exactly! That's what would happen if the NFL ever created a farm system outside of the NCAA. It would actually IMPROVE both college basketball and football, IMO. All the athletes looking for the money needs to be able to go pro right out of HS or when they are 18.

The is about the further development of the G league into a true NBA minor league. The G league has finally figured out two financing/operating models that work. They now need an infusion of talent to get to the next level. The 18 and 17 year olds are needed. G league will be increasingly recruiting some of the same players as colleges. Situation will become similar to MLB/minor baseball poaching college commits into their system.

Reactions: ClockworkOrange
I don't think it changes a lot. The top guys already had the chance to go to the G League, get paid well, and not go to college. Only a few people took advantage of that per year. NBA teams are still largely not going to want to take a risk on someone they haven't seen play any real competition. There are clearly going to be exceptions to that, like Zion could've gone straight to the pros, maybe a guy like Banchero. It will certainly change it a little bit, but not too much.

I think I'd like to see the ability to be draft eligible going into college, and if you don't get drafted you just go to the school you were committed to. That certainly would complicate some things, but it could lead to better players staying in college longer as well.

The one and done has been good by for the players going overseas to play. They got some money and then cou be ready for the NBA. The NIL may be able to pay them enough to stay in school for a couple of more years.

VN Store

Back