Recruiting Forum Football Talk V

Status
Not open for further replies.
so do you pay $1200 for a plane ticket to Santa Fe and drive an hour to Taos or pay $475 for a plane ticket to Denver and drive 4 and a half hours to Taos?

Reactions: VolsDoc81TX
All the hits were perfect hits. None went low. We won’t get flagged.

This is more about timing than tackling form. In some cases the ball had just come out and we still made the hit. It was clean IMO but a ref can still throw a flag and there’s nothing that can be done about it.

When Slovis was sacked and hit his head on the turf it could have been flagged for unnecessary roughness for slinging him to the ground. These things are just too subjective and I think it’s on purpose so the refs can control games for the league favorites.

so do you pay $1200 for a plane ticket to Santa Fe and drive an hour to Taos or pay $475 for a plane ticket to Denver and drive 4 and a half hours to Taos?
475 to Denver hit the smoke shack up grab a loud pack few edibles for the road with the few extra hunnits u saved..Mcds rite before exit 420 and were on our way...

Gotta add in the cost of the uber ride or car rental...plus that's 5.5 hours of road time (which depending on what you're typical hourly rate is should be treated as a cost item as well)

Reactions: bignewt
Looking ahead to Florida –

Heupel said on Wednesday’s SEC teleconference that our fans are prognosticators (future-casters) and of course they’ll be looking ahead to the Florida game but the staff and players this week will be focused on Akron and getting better at some of the things we didn’t do so well with last week.

I watched the first half of the Florida Kentucky game and was really impressed with Florida’s defensive front. They had some picture perfect hits on Levis. They came screaming into the backfield and just flat out laid the wood to him.

Nick said yesterday he hadn’t figure out Florida this year yet and I was thinking about what I’d seen so far. Florida had 7 QBH and 3 sacks against Kentucky, 5 TFLs in all. Kentucky was only able to net a total of 70 yards rushing on 38 carries. One might get the idea that Florida has a formidable defensive front. They had given up 230 yards rushing to Utah on 39 carries so there are obvious questions.

In week 1 Pittsburgh had given up 190 yards rushing to WVU on 39 carries. Narduzzi was livid about that. His defensive front was one of the best in the nation last year, top 10, and most everybody was back. He apparently got that fixed before our game. So when the coaches say they did such and such because of the way the game unfolded it’s because the way the game unfolded is we couldn’t run to ball against Pitt’s defensive front. No one did last year and I suspect few if any will this year either. Last year our running game was well over 200 yards in 8 of our contests, around 150 in 3, and around 50 yards in 2, Georgia and Alabama. Pitt, Florida, and Kentucky were the 3 that held us to around 150.

A solid DL like Pitt, Georgia, Alabama, etc., that can stop the run, well, they can and do stop the run against everybody, including each other. DL personnel are far better athletes than OL personnel. Throw in a good to elite LB corps and no one is running the football against that front. Period. You either go around it or you go over it. jmo.

So does Florida have a good defensive front this year or not? I don’t think we’re going to find out until we play them because even though they stopped Kentucky’s ground game it’s important to note that Miami of Ohio also stopped Kentucky’s ground game, giving up only 50 yards on 26 carries. Miami also sacked Levis 4 times and added 2 QBH. Kentucky has OL problems this year so it’s hard to measure Florida’s DL performance from their Kentucky game. jmo.

Florida had success running the football against Utah and much less so against Kentucky. The real difference in the two games was mostly Anthony Richardson. Against Utah he had 106 yards rushing; against Kentucky he had minus 4 yards rushing. Heupel said on Vol Calls Wednesday night that this year we were so far doing a much better job at maintaining rush integrity so I’m not expecting Richardson to find running lanes against us. jmo.

Our pass defense rating so far is 114.37. Florida’s is 129.84. Hooker’s passer rating on the year right now is 155.31. Richardson is at 90.04. We proved last week that if our run game isn’t there we can go to the air and with our receivers we have a matchup edge. Florida not only has issues at QB but there’s not a lot of faith among their fans as to the caliber of their receiving corps this year.

After week 2 was put into the books ESPN’s FPI gave us a 78.4% probability of beating Florida this year. I don’t think Florida can beat us but I do think we can lose. Heupel addressed that in the Sunday meeting with the players and to a certain extent Golesh in answer to a media question Monday also addressed it. Even though the offseasons weren’t in any way comparable I was seeing shades of 2016 after the Pitt game, where some of our older players may start taking some things for granted and not preparing in the way the staff expects. Heupel said a couple of our practices last week weren’t up to par. He addressed that with the team on Sunday. If the guys, presumably some of our more famous leaders, take that to heart we may still get to the Alabama game undefeated. jmo.

I think everyone probably knows that the Florida game is sold out but Bob said on Vol Calls last night that the Akron game is also almost sold out. I think he said there's only about 700 tickets left so they're expecting the stadium to be packed Saturday night. That's pretty impressive if it turns out that way. Expectations are running pretty high for this team. If we can get and keep our heads on straight this could be the team we've been waiting for since seemingly this almost 20-year long struggle to get back began. jmo.

View attachment 490137

I’d say yes they have a good defensive front but lack the depth that FL normally enjoys

I rewatched the Pitt game and really enjoyed seeing all the pressure we put on Slovis and Patti. Those hits were clean and the refs called a good game in that regard.

However, in SEC play against the likes of Bama and UGA those will get flagged. Roughing the passer is way too subjective and will likely screw us in those situations. I do like how our players have learned to “pull up” if the QB gets the ball out before the hit. Just something to think about when we play the darlings of the league.

That is likely to be a correct assumption. Birmingham will be in full damage control mode. I still hope we keep doing it even if it is flagged. Hold them to FG's and keep smoking the QB's. It works when you have a high octane O that can score quickly.

That is likely to be a correct assumption. Birmingham will be in full damage control mode. I still hope we keep doing it even if it is flagged. Hold them to FG's and keep smoking the QB's. It works when you have a high octane O that can score quickly.
Birmingaloosa is in DEFCON 3 right now that Bama’s slightly exposed thanks to Texas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back