A rational perspective...

Slow down, everyone. Reading the board and the way people are reacting, you would think Tennessee is playing for the national championship. For any rational fan, there has to be a lot more convincing to say that Tennessee has arrived. The volunteers had to squeak out a win, in overtime, against an average Pitt team, without their starting QB. I would not exactly call that the win of the century. Now, don't get me wrong. I am not saying Tennessee fans shouldn't be happy we were able to pull off the win, but a lot of fans are acting like Heupel is the next Saban already. It's way too early to be acting like that. Cautiously optimistic is where the more clear thinking fans should be.

I am looking forward to getting into SEC play. Let's see what happens.

I was up half the night last night thinking on this. I’m a bit concerned that Saban retires after this year. Bama offers Dabo for sure, but I don’t see them prying him away from Clemson. The next target will Heupel. He’s as good as gone.

I was up half the night last night thinking on this. I’m a bit concerned that Saban retires after this year. Bama offers Dabo for sure, but I don’t see them prying him away from Clemson. The next target will Heupel. He’s as good as gone.

You seriously think Bama will even have the opportunity?

Nebraska looking now, Auburn could be before the end of the season. He’ll be in Nebraska or Auburn next year.

(1) Show me one fan, anywhere on this board, who said or even implied that "Tennessee is playing for the national championship." You won't be able to. You created a strawman so you could waggle your finger at it.

(2) That wasn't "an average Pitt team, without their starting QB." That was the defending ACC champion Pitt team, with their starting QB, who our defense talked into taking a seat on the sideline for more than half the game. That's the very definition of "making your own luck."

I don't know what your goal was with this thread. I doubt it's working as you hoped.
Spot on post and well articulated.

Reactions: VFL-82-JP
Slow down, everyone. Reading the board and the way people are reacting, you would think Tennessee is playing for the national championship. For any rational fan, there has to be a lot more convincing to say that Tennessee has arrived. The volunteers had to squeak out a win, in overtime, against an average Pitt team, without their starting QB. I would not exactly call that the win of the century. Now, don't get me wrong. I am not saying Tennessee fans shouldn't be happy we were able to pull off the win, but a lot of fans are acting like Heupel is the next Saban already. It's way too early to be acting like that. Cautiously optimistic is where the more clear thinking fans should be.

Who said we have arrived? Who is acting like Heupel is Saban?

I haven't seen any such talk.

I'm excited because UT has a big game coming up, at home, against a bitter rival, that they have a chance of winning. Its been a while since they had one of these. Thats really all there is to be excited about. Win it and expectations might get a little bigger.

Hey Dad, idk if you remember or not, but UT was winning when Slovis went out injured…it’s not like we came back from down 21 once the backup came in. Slovis wasn’t/isn’t much better than their backup.

Reactions: Hacksaw
(1) Show me one fan, anywhere on this board, who said or even implied that "Tennessee is playing for the national championship." You won't be able to. You created a strawman so you could waggle your finger at it.

(2) That wasn't "an average Pitt team, without their starting QB." That was the defending ACC champion Pitt team, with their starting QB, who our defense talked into taking a seat on the sideline for more than half the game. That's the very definition of "making your own luck."

I don't know what your goal was with this thread. I doubt it's working as you hoped.
Most of us know his/her goal. Troll as much as possible.

After reluctantly taking a look at a few other teams’ message boards, I have to say that Tennessee fans are actually among the most reasonable and rational around. I think we lose sight of just how much delusion and jacka$$ery are rampant among other fanbases. We have our issues too, but overall Volnation is pretty darn good.

I remember when Jeremy Pruitt was as good as gone for an Alabama job offer

So you deem yourself the "rational fan"?

Here is a very rational perspective. UT took on a confident, well coached team and won. They won in spite of Hooker playing poorly to start the game and in stretches afterwards. In spite of giving up a fumble and muffed punt. The Vols were pretty clearly the superior team. After hearing all about how the Vols had a "physicality" deficit... they were clearly the more physical team. They shot themselves in the foot repeatedly... and still won.

My "rational" opinion is that you are for some reason offended by positive excitement. Who specifically is act as if UT is playing for the NC? UT just won the type of game that for the last 15+ years... the Vols have lost because of the culture. Any "rational fan" can see that... and most think it a positive development to be excited about.

Lots of things can happen from here on out. But recognizing the good that Heupel has done is hardly pretending he's the next Saban... unless you just can't be satisfied with good things happening.

My "clear thinking"... suggests you need to rethink your claim of being the "rational", "clear thinking" fan.
We’re not going to beat FL, LSU, Bama, GA or KY. This is a 7-5 team at best. A good 7-5 team but a 7-5 team at best. Hooker has to step it up.

We’re not going to beat FL, LSU, Bama, GA or KY. This is a 7-5 team at best. A good 7-5 team but a 7-5 team at best. Hooker has to step it up.

This is a 9-10 win team even if it pains the ears of Negavols to even have that confidence in the team. It must be hell to root for a team when you by reflex expect the very worst of the team every game and every season. I think if i thought that way i would find another team to root for.

Only an abject MORON would say definitely what you just said. It is simply stupid to make those kinds of declarations about future events that you do not directly and completely control.

This is a 9-10 win team even if it pains the ears of Negavols to even have that confidence in the team. It must be hell to root for a team when you by reflex expect the very worst of the team every game and every season. I think if i thought that way i would find another team to root for.
A rate troll. Read his post history.

Reactions: Jeff Clark

VN Store

Back