A rational perspective...

Slow down, everyone. Reading the board and the way people are reacting, you would think Tennessee is playing for the national championship. For any rational fan, there has to be a lot more convincing to say that Tennessee has arrived. The volunteers had to squeak out a win, in overtime, against an average Pitt team, without their starting QB. I would not exactly call that the win of the century. Now, don't get me wrong. I am not saying Tennessee fans shouldn't be happy we were able to pull off the win, but a lot of fans are acting like Heupel is the next Saban already. It's way too early to be acting like that. Cautiously optimistic is where the more clear thinking fans should be.

I am looking forward to getting into SEC play. Let's see what happens.
blinkgif.gif

You already are……and have been.

You:
“It looked bad to me. The passing game looked stiff and predictable.”

“Tennessee is winning. That was a given, but”

“Well, it's a good thing Tennessee didn't play a good team”

“it's no surprise that Tennessee is 3-0 with Thursday openers, look at the teams they played.”

“I am not trying to poop on anyone's parade here”

“Tennessee should win easily, but I don't understand why a lot of you seem happy about that. To me, it shows some disrespect to start an SEC team out, the caliber of Tennessee, playing a team that most High School teams could beat”

Me: Are you a Vols fan? Or do you simply miss all the old drama and negativity?
He's probably a Kentucky fan who thinks the Mildcats are world beaters since they're ranked #9 and Tennessee always has a place rent free in their heads.

Slow down, everyone. Reading the board and the way people are reacting, you would think Tennessee is playing for the national championship. For any rational fan, there has to be a lot more convincing to say that Tennessee has arrived. The volunteers had to squeak out a win, in overtime, against an average Pitt team, without their starting QB. I would not exactly call that the win of the century. Now, don't get me wrong. I am not saying Tennessee fans shouldn't be happy we were able to pull off the win, but a lot of fans are acting like Heupel is the next Saban already. It's way too early to be acting like that. Cautiously optimistic is where the more clear thinking fans should be.

I will agree that it is good to keep things in perspective. Wasn't Pitts top runner out as well? Still, Tennessee played a sloppy game on offense having one of their worst performances this season or last and still pulled out the victory on the road against a ranked opponent. That helps indicate they've turned a corner with their new'ish coach. Florida for me is an even bigger test. Please oh please let us get over that hump.

I love the "rational" take threads. Tennessee has about the closest thing you can have to a sure fire win on the schedule Saturday, which would have us ranked a top 15 team, undefeated heading into a HUGE matchup with Florida at home, and 3-0 for the first time since 2016. Yes, we took Pitt's QB out of the game, but Tennessee GIFTED Pitt that game multiple times and still found ways to win when it mattered most. That Pitt team is still going to be a tough out for everyone they play, and has an elite RB and D line. No one thinks we won the national title or will compete for it this year most likely, and no one thinks Heupel is Saban, but is it really too farfetched to just let people enjoy things, especially when it SEEMS like we are headed in the right direction for the first time a decade?
Heupel or someone will be the "next generation". Saban is established but someone else will rise to the national level over the next few years IMO because they figure out how to lead and manage a roster in the "new realities" of NIL and the portal. Some coaching styles (IMO B Kelly is an example) aren't going to play all that well over time when guys who feel mistreated can hit the door.

Dabo is another guy I think it making a lot of wrong moves at the wrong time. He had to know that his contract was being negotiated and that a public announcement would be made... yet he chose to complain about NIL loudly and publicly.

I don't know exactly how Heupel will end up. But he appears to have the right kind of leadership to go along with a pretty good football mind for this era. There are always a ton of things that can go wrong.... but he has IMO a lot of the right ingredients to be one of the next generation successes.

Whew……I feel better now. Got my head on straight. Thanks for slapping me back into reality.

He's probably a Kentucky fan who thinks the Mildcats are world beaters since they're ranked #9 and Tennessee always has a place rent free in their heads.

I’m not necessarily doubting someone’s “fandom”…….if he is a fan…..more power to him.

However I’ve personally never seen a fan of any sports team who was “only” negative……during the good times. Make no mistake, we’ve all lived through the past 15 years…….we are definitely in the “good times.” Not saying it will last, or saying championships or anything other than what it is, right now.

And I’ve been a NegaVol for many of those 15 years…..when being negative was being realistic……..it’s NOT right now.

I’m always hopeful “my” team will win and own several pair of rose colored glasses. Looking at it from a non-fan’s perspective, we possibly/probably have a ways to go. But I always try to be optimistic. Why CAN’T this be our year - or at least setting us up for next year or the next ? And if it IS I would much rather spend it in ignorant bliss and enjoyment than to waste the season in doubt. Ride the feel good train as long as we can VN !!! Otherwise what’s the point of being a FAN?

Reactions: Seattle Hillbilly

This is exactly what I was thinking.

Kentucky has the most insecure fan base in all of college football.

K

Is it Mindy Mon or Mind Demon? Either way, this username creeps me the fug out.

Reactions: sjt18
I think I'm rational and see us in the 8-4 to 10-2 window - and definitely hoping for the 10-2 (with one of those losses to Kentucky and you can have your own fantasy of which of the two big dogs we upset). We could lose games to Florida, LSU, Kentucky, Alabama and Georgia and none of those would be big surprises. But I don't think this team (even with some bad breaks) loses more than 3-4 of those games andhopefully no more than 2. This team most likely won't be in Atlanta for the SECCG but if they play well could be in a very nice bowl game.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

(1) Show me one fan, anywhere on this board, who said or even implied that "Tennessee is playing for the national championship." You won't be able to. You created a strawman so you could waggle your finger at it.

(2) That wasn't "an average Pitt team, without their starting QB." That was the defending ACC champion Pitt team, with their starting QB, who our defense talked into taking a seat on the sideline for more than half the game. That's the very definition of "making your own luck."

I don't know what your goal was with this thread. I doubt it's working as you hoped.

I remember an Auburn game back in the 80’s when some guy named Bo came to Neyland and our defense hit him so hard and so often in the first half, that he benched himself in the second. A defense that will hit and hit like they mean it can have a effect on a player - I saw it with Bo Jackson in that game - I saw it this past Saturday in Pittsburgh with their quarterback. I hope our D keeps hitting star players all year - then let’s see what the W’s and L’s look like in December. GBO!

We're ranked in the Top 15. We just beat a Top 20 team on the road. We are favored against one of our most hated rivals, and we got a legit shot at being undefeated come Bama time. If this doesn't get your juices flowing then your blood isn't orange. No one here thinks we're going undefeated. Let us have this Hoss.

Almost every post is putting down the Vols. Obvious troll account.

In every single post except one the OP talks a certain way.

It’s always “Tennessee”……and not even as a fan of, or the SEC, or something similar……never…..ever anything that he is a fan of or likes Tennessee.

Until this thread when inexplicably the OP states when “we” play Florida…….as to show some sort of fandom with this thread.

However if you look closely at every other post…….there is NOTHING, not one single word which computes to him being a Vol fan…….in fact the wording in his posts sounds like a non fan……not just the negativity…..the actual wording.

How many times have we all seen or even posted: “ hey I love Tennessee but”……or something……this guy has NOTHING.

Not a fan - sorry there’s a first time for everything……I’m calling out his fandom….because he clearly isn’t.

Hey OP it’s cool to not be a Vol fan……like whoever you want……but don’t “act” like your a fan to make posts.

You guys are getting played and fed on in this thread by Colin Robinson from- What we do in the Shadows.

How is calling out someone…….”getting played”

Wouldn’t it really be: he tried to play folks……but failed miserably?

VN Store

Back