A rational perspective...

mindemon

Slow down, everyone. Reading the board and the way people are reacting, you would think Tennessee is playing for the national championship. For any rational fan, there has to be a lot more convincing to say that Tennessee has arrived. The volunteers had to squeak out a win, in overtime, against an average Pitt team, without their starting QB. I would not exactly call that the win of the century. Now, don't get me wrong. I am not saying Tennessee fans shouldn't be happy we were able to pull off the win, but a lot of fans are acting like Heupel is the next Saban already. It's way too early to be acting like that. Cautiously optimistic is where the more clear thinking fans should be.

I am looking forward to getting into SEC play. Let's see what happens.

Slow down, everyone. Reading the board and the way people are reacting, you would think Tennessee is playing for the national championship. For any rational fan, there has to be a lot more convincing to say that Tennessee has arrived. The volunteers had to squeak out a win, in overtime, against an average Pitt team, without their starting QB. I would not exactly call that the win of the century. Now, don't get me wrong. I am not saying Tennessee fans shouldn't be happy we were able to pull off the win, but a lot of fans are acting like Heupel is the next Saban already. It's way too early to be acting like that. Cautiously optimistic is where the more clear thinking fans should be.

I love the "rational" take threads. Tennessee has about the closest thing you can have to a sure fire win on the schedule Saturday, which would have us ranked a top 15 team, undefeated heading into a HUGE matchup with Florida at home, and 3-0 for the first time since 2016. Yes, we took Pitt's QB out of the game, but Tennessee GIFTED Pitt that game multiple times and still found ways to win when it mattered most. That Pitt team is still going to be a tough out for everyone they play, and has an elite RB and D line. No one thinks we won the national title or will compete for it this year most likely, and no one thinks Heupel is Saban, but is it really too farfetched to just let people enjoy things, especially when it SEEMS like we are headed in the right direction for the first time a decade?

Why was that starting QB out of the game?
When was the last time we won a game we usually find a way to lose ? Are we back ? Who knows but downplaying a good road win is stupid at best. Pitt is a good football team and will have a solid season. Every game is different. We have as good of coaches as any team out there. Do we have the talent probably not. Every game has to be played someone will win. Why not us ?

A program that has been mostly a grease fire for 15 years is going to be 3-0 with a top 25 win and favored at home against Florida. Take your rationality . . . turn it sideways . . . and . . . . lol

Reading the board and the way people are reacting, you would think Tennessee is playing for the national championship.

(1) Show me one fan, anywhere on this board, who said or even implied that "Tennessee is playing for the national championship." You won't be able to. You created a strawman so you could waggle your finger at it.

(2) That wasn't "an average Pitt team, without their starting QB." That was the defending ACC champion Pitt team, with their starting QB, who our defense talked into taking a seat on the sideline for more than half the game. That's the very definition of "making your own luck."

I don't know what your goal was with this thread. I doubt it's working as you hoped.

Thanks for killing my vibe. I remember when we lost to Georgia St. So, to say I am a little excited that we beat a ranked team, on the road, even with overtime would be an understatement.

This one is going to go well for you OP.

Everyone, remember to not get to excited or rowdy for Vols football. For some reason it offends people. Our first road win over a top 25 team in nearly 20 years was absolutely meaningless. Having a realistic opportunity to start 5-0 in the 2nd year of one of the biggest rebuild projects outside of Nashville in conference history, meaningless. Being excited that we have a young coach, who has done this in 20 months with a barebones roster and NCAA sanctions hanging over the program, no call to be excited. I can't believe all of y'all are calling him the next Saban. I must see it on here at least.....ummm...I've never seen it said on here but anyway the OP did and it apparently offended them. So clean it up!

Can you give all these examples of people on here thinking/claiming/acting like Tennessee would be playing for a NC?

Can you also give us a bunch of examples (after the Pitt game) of people on here claiming “Tennessee has arrived”?

Lol…….best out of conference road win Tennessee has had in a LONG time = true.

Tennessee beat a ranked team = true (while on the road)

Lol as much you try to “down play” it……Pitt was and is still a pretty good team. Their starting QB had 1 td and 2 turnovers, he threw for like 58%……..so maybe back up off that “back up crap”…..Tennessee also had the lead when the starter was in the game…….Tennessee made many mistakes and still won…….they were the better team……no down playing needed.

YOU think folks are “over reacting”….I say show us……because I say YOU are over reacting……because folks aren’t really acting like your saying they are. Possibly a couple….maybe, I haven’t seen many if any.

When was the last time we won a game we usually find a way to lose ? Are we back ? Who knows but downplaying a good road win is stupid at best. Pitt is a good football team and will have a solid season. Every game is different. We have as good of coaches as any team out there. Do we have the talent probably not. Every game has to be played someone will win. Why not us ?

I think both Slovis and Patti tripped over helmets in the locker room.

Season starts when we play and beat Florida, nothing else matters till that happens!
If we beat Florida, THAT would be exciting. It would be a game changer for the season. Now doubt Tennessee would be ranked, maybe in the top 10 or close, and then I might get a bit irrational myself. lol

So you deem yourself the "rational fan"?

Here is a very rational perspective. UT took on a confident, well coached team and won. They won in spite of Hooker playing poorly to start the game and in stretches afterwards. In spite of giving up a fumble and muffed punt. The Vols were pretty clearly the superior team. After hearing all about how the Vols had a "physicality" deficit... they were clearly the more physical team. They shot themselves in the foot repeatedly... and still won.

My "rational" opinion is that you are for some reason offended by positive excitement. Who specifically is acting as if UT is playing for the NC? UT just won the type of game that for the last 15+ years... the Vols have lost because of the culture. Any "rational fan" can see that... and most think it a positive development to be excited about.

Lots of things can happen from here on out. But recognizing the good that Heupel has done is hardly pretending he's the next Saban... unless you just can't be satisfied with good things happening.

My "clear thinking"... suggests you need to rethink your claim of being the "rational", "clear thinking" fan.

Last edited:
Chances are Pitt will win the rest of their games until they play Miami to finish the season.

If we beat Florida, THAT would be exciting. It would be a game changer for the season. Now doubt Tennessee would be ranked, maybe in the top 10 or close, and then I might get a bit irrational myself. lol
I think that is where a lot of us will be, I am cautiously optimistic at this time!

Reactions: marcusluvsvols
and then I might get a bit irrational myself. lol

You already are……and have been.

You:
“It looked bad to me. The passing game looked stiff and predictable.”

“Tennessee is winning. That was a given, but”

“Well, it's a good thing Tennessee didn't play a good team”

“it's no surprise that Tennessee is 3-0 with Thursday openers, look at the teams they played.”

“I am not trying to poop on anyone's parade here”

“Tennessee should win easily, but I don't understand why a lot of you seem happy about that. To me, it shows some disrespect to start an SEC team out, the caliber of Tennessee, playing a team that most High School teams could beat”

Me: Are you a Vols fan? Or do you simply miss all the old drama and negativity?

Tennessee is going to win 9-10 games this season. Why are you so upset that people are enthusiastic and charged up about this team?

Reactions: marcusluvsvols

VN Store

Back