Tennessee Baseball Commitments 2024, 2025, 2026 and beyond

So he will be on the team this year?

I'm guessing he will, but I think he will be a development project, competing for a starting job or bullpen job his sophomore year. Something I read said he was committed to a small school before he decided for UT. With thaqt kind of size, he might be a real find for a pitcher of the future.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Who is providing the star ratings? Just curious, because I’ve only seen PG ratings for baseball recruits. Thanks.
I heard Sloop turned down the White Sox, and told them he was coming to Knoxville. 9th round I think. He’s a big kid. 6’8 235. FB 94-96. Should be interesting.

I heard Sloop turned down the White Sox, and told them he was coming to Knoxville. 9th round I think. He’s a big kid. 6’8 235. FB 94-96. Should be interesting.

Sloop wasn’t drafted. Are you sure you’re not thinking of Caden Marcum? He was the only high school signee drafted (R13, Texas), but didn’t sign. Still don’t know if he’s coming to Knoxville, as there was talk he would rehab his arm on his own and be eligible for next year’s draft.

Last edited:
Sloop wasn’t drafted. Are you sure you’re not thinking of Caden Marcum? He was the only high school signee drafted (R13, Texas), but didn’t sign. Still don’t know if he’s coming to Knoxville, as there was talk he would rehab his arm on his own and be eligible for next year’s draft.
No sir. My understanding is that they were going to take him, but before they actually announced it, that he verbally told them that was coming to school, so they instead took Elko of Ole Miss.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
No sir. My understanding is that they were going to take him, but before they actually announced it, that he verbally told them that was coming to school, so they instead took Elko of Ole Miss.

Gotcha. Turning down 9th round money is a big deal. Has anyone heard anything on Marcum? I think he’ll have to rehab a season regardless, but I hope he comes to Knoxville to do so.

Not if he only tops at 90. He will be bullpen guy or have to add Velo.
Not saying you're wrong with this prospect, preacherman, but if he throws five different pitches for strikes, he has a shot at starting, IMHO. There are pitchers who have been very successful in the majors who could only throw 90. "Work fast, throw strikes, change speeds." This kid also has another year to develop more velo, too. Time will tell, as it always does.

PS, I really enjoy your posts and insights. You are a tremendous resource to us on this site. Thanks for all you do here.

Thank you. I am definitely not disagreeing that he could be but I just don’t think he will be at Tennessee. If he is only topping at 90 we have too many arms that are 95 to 100 that will be starting. If he can add Velo then he definitely would be considered but in the three years we have been there no one throwing low 90s as their top and has been a starter. There are places he could start but as Kirby and others have said on the podcast with kirby topping at 93/94 last fall he definitely could at other places. What is coach Anderson told Kirby flat and straight at low 90s gets hit a long ways in the sec. I would say this young man taking Camden’s place if he has that little many legitimate pitches. Rather than have him throw the fastball very much he will make a living off of the off-speed stuff. But maybe he will be a Crochet or Joyce and add10 miles an hour to his fastball

Thank you. I am definitely not disagreeing that he could be but I just don’t think he will be at Tennessee. If he is only topping at 90 we have too many arms that are 95 to 100 that will be starting. If he can add Velo then he definitely would be considered but in the three years we have been there no one throwing low 90s as their top and has been a starter. There are places he could start but as Kirby and others have said on the podcast with kirby topping at 93/94 last fall he definitely could at other places. What is coach Anderson told Kirby flat and straight at low 90s gets hit a long ways in the sec. I would say this young man taking Camden’s place if he has that little many legitimate pitches. Rather than have him throw the fastball very much he will make a living off of the off-speed stuff. But maybe he will be a Crochet or Joyce and add10 miles an hour to his fastball
Will Heflin?

Will Heflin is a VFL who made important and valued contributions to the team. However, I think it's fair to say that he probably wouldn't be a starter on this year's team with Dollander/Burns/Beam et al. The competition to be a starter on this team has changed quickly.
I understand. Just playing devil's advocate. Pete Hansen at Texas was outstanding last year maxing out around 92 last year.

VN Store

Back