Tennessee Lady Vols Softball 2022.

The “various issues” were injuries and personal issues with pitching. It’s not an excuse, but when you look at why teams 16-18 didn’t advance in the postseason, it’s very clearly the reason. In that three-year stretch, you had pitchers break an arm, develop worsening food allergies and deal with severe throat issues due to a medical condition. You also had a top pitching recruit (that they had to pass on others to get with enough scholarship money) not pan out because she looked like a generational talent in the bullpen, but led three different conferences in wild pitches when she tried to throw in games.

Not exactly things you can blame on “various issues with the program” IMO.
I may be confused, but what was the name of the "generational talent"?

Has there a bigger bust than Gabby Sprang?

I've never seen anything like it. Was so impressive in the bullpen. Was virtually unhittable in practice. And was going to be brought along slowly as the #3, with plenty of help in front of her, she wasn't going to have to be an ace, although she looked like she could be in practice. Things were mixed in fall games, but her offseason looked great. Then spring came and she couldn't find the strike zone in games. Never found it anywhere else, either.

I hate it, so much talent, and was a genuinely great kid from a great family. But could just never bring the stuff from practice to the game field and no one could have seen it coming.

I've never seen anything like it. Was so impressive in the bullpen. Was virtually unhittable in practice. And was going to be brought along slowly as the #3, with plenty of help in front of her, she wasn't going to have to be an ace, although she looked like she could be in practice. Things were mixed in fall games, but her offseason looked great. Then spring came and she couldn't find the strike zone in games. Never found it anywhere else, either.

I hate it, so much talent, and was a genuinely great kid from a great family. But could just never bring the stuff from practice to the game field and no one could have seen it coming.
It was mental with her which is hard to overcome. Matzek with the Braves overcame it but few do when it goes that far.

Reactions: anecwnrjcns12
The “various issues” were injuries and personal issues with pitching. It’s not an excuse, but when you look at why teams 16-18 didn’t advance in the postseason, it’s very clearly the reason. In that three-year stretch, you had pitchers break an arm, develop worsening food allergies and deal with severe throat issues due to a medical condition. You also had a top pitching recruit (that they had to pass on others to get with enough scholarship money) not pan out because she looked like a generational talent in the bullpen, but led three different conferences in wild pitches when she tried to throw in games.

Not exactly things you can blame on “various issues with the program” IMO.

Food allergies and throat issues? Those are new ones, for sure--and yet another example of a program beset by weird issues of all kinds. There were plenty of program issues. For starters, Ralph's age--and the dual coach thing just seemed to stop working. Beyond that, too many left-handed hitters for a few years. There were a couple of years, as I recall, when we didn't have more than one halfway dependable right-hand hitter. Also, never being able to have two good, dependable pitchers despite being one of the top programs in the country--which was astounding. Then, yea, on top of that, we had players leave, a starter quit because the coaches were always criticizing her, etc. There was always stuff--and not sure that's changed. I hope so.

Seen the girls on the field a couple of times but they weren’t in fielding positions so I have no idea who was being looked at where. Anyone with any early info on who’s taking reps at SS? Donihoo, Sarvis, Pannell? I’m assuming the starter against Pfeiffer in the first game and later Duke, our strongest opponent, is the favorite for the spring.

Seen the girls on the field a couple of times but they weren’t in fielding positions so I have no idea who was being looked at where. Anyone with any early info on who’s taking reps at SS? Donihoo, Sarvis, Pannell? I’m assuming the starter against Pfeiffer in the first game and later Duke, our strongest opponent, is the favorite for the spring.
I am not too sure, but someone mentioned that Donihoo was brought here to fill in Davis at SS. Pannell could slide in there, but I know she primarily played 3rd. I don't see anyone unseating Pune at 3rd so Pannell may take over at 2nd given that Lair's ability to heal and come back. However, I read somewhere that Lair was supposed to play outfield though.

I am not too sure, but someone mentioned that Donihoo was brought here to fill in Davis at SS. Pannell could slide in there, but I know she primarily played 3rd. I don't see anyone unseating Pune at 3rd so Pannell may take over at 2nd given that Lair's ability to heal and come back. However, I read somewhere that Lair was supposed to play outfield though.
Agree, I’m thinking Puni, Donihoo, Pannell, and Gibson in the IF based on what I’ve heard and read. I see a healthy Lair in the OF in the spring.

Here is what EI said about her. Have her slotted at #8

"Emma combines DI size and athleticism, allowing club head coach Monte Sherill to say, in a complimentary way, “She’s a freak in that she’s 6-foot tall and likes like Madison Shipman (the former Tennessee great) all over again. Emma is a crazy instinctive base runner but has power and speed that’s unbelievable, too.” The outstanding athlete can play shortstop, first base and also catch without missing a beat. At West Roway (Mt. Ulla, N.C.) High, she batted .575 in 25 games as a sophomore and drove in 54 runs with 13 home runs, eight doubles and four triples for a .609 on-base percentage, a strong 1.328 slugging mark and an OPS of 1.939 to earn All-Region honors. Emma helped her team advance to the second round of the 3A state playoffs where they lost to Central Cabarrus High, which walked the sophomore every time she came to the plate. A three-sport talent, she also plays volleyball and basketball at a high level."

Seems with the 2024 class they are going bigger athletic with Esther White (recent visit) and now Emma Clarke on board. Next year their biggest non-pitching priority will be a local kid about the same size as Clarke.

Seems with the 2024 class they are going bigger athletic with Esther White (recent visit) and now Emma Clarke on board. Next year their biggest non-pitching priority will be a local kid about the same size as Clarke.
You care to identify the young lady?

Reactions: Majors
You care to identify the young lady?
Elsa Morrison, moved to Knoxville a few months ago. Plays C/MI, she plays at Farragut which has been one of the best programs in the state the last few years. Plays for the Bombers National Team as the only 2025 at this time, which is pretty telling that this kid is next level.

Here is what EI said about her. Have her slotted at #8

"Emma combines DI size and athleticism, allowing club head coach Monte Sherill to say, in a complimentary way, “She’s a freak in that she’s 6-foot tall and likes like Madison Shipman (the former Tennessee great) all over again. Emma is a crazy instinctive base runner but has power and speed that’s unbelievable, too.” The outstanding athlete can play shortstop, first base and also catch without missing a beat. At West Roway (Mt. Ulla, N.C.) High, she batted .575 in 25 games as a sophomore and drove in 54 runs with 13 home runs, eight doubles and four triples for a .609 on-base percentage, a strong 1.328 slugging mark and an OPS of 1.939 to earn All-Region honors. Emma helped her team advance to the second round of the 3A state playoffs where they lost to Central Cabarrus High, which walked the sophomore every time she came to the plate. A three-sport talent, she also plays volleyball and basketball at a high level."
Sounds like a player for sure.

Majors are we recruiting Addison Linton and if so where do we stand? Thanks.
We will be. Solid player, last year probably the number 3-4 LHP in the state. She throws hard and plays A ball in school and #3 pitcher on her Unity team (behind Heavener and Lilly Parrish). She’s hitting the camps and promoting her training on social media that gains interest. Her numbers need to climb in K’s if she wants to pitch at this level.

Last edited:
We will be. Solid player, last year probably the number 3-4 LHP in the state. She throws hard and plays A ball in school and #3 pitcher on her Unity team (behind Heavener and Lilly Parrish). She’s hitting the camps and promoting her training on social media that gains interest. Her numbers need to climb in K’s if she wants to pitch at this level.
Thanks

VN Store

Back