Flip Phone Nation Unite!

Back in the day, when I had to couple my phone attachment to a handset with velcro, then dial to get the connection tone before downloading info I was thinking soon people will have all the information that exists right on their phone for easy access. We do, but instead they are mainly used for Facebook, Instagram and it has turned our children into zombies. Flip phones for all would be great.

Agreed..I'm on the computer all day at work so a few years back I decided to go "old school" and got a Kyrocera DuraXV flip phone and love it! Military tough grade and not all the necessities that most can't live without these days. It calls, texts and takes pretty decent pics...that's good enough for me.

My dad who is 89 finally got a smart phone. It’s been a challenge teaching him but now he loves it and for the first time doesn’t use a flip phone.
Can I get you to convince my dad (84) to do the same?

Reactions: MAD
Can I get you to convince my dad (84) to do the same?
Be careful what you wish for, especially if your dad has you on speed dial. Major technology changes can be really hard to get into the older brain, even when it’s still percolating along pretty well. There’s understanding what you’re taught, but then there’s (1) retaining, and then (2) accessing this new stuff.

I’m already seeing it in myself (68 next month)

Reactions: malinoisvol
Be careful what you wish for, especially if your dad has you on speed dial. Major technology changes can be really hard to get into the older brain, even when it’s still percolating along pretty well. There’s understanding what you’re taught, but then there’s (1) retaining, and then (2) accessing this new stuff.

Ikr. I'm pretty much the same way. Lol I'm reluctant to change too.

Reactions: VolNExile

Ikr. I'm pretty much the same way. Lol I'm reluctant to change too.
I’ll add: I am BY NO MEANS writing off older people as unable to handle tech. Until she was 87-88, my mom ran a computer set-up that could do anything most people would want to do. She maintained Excel spreadsheets for her investments, she emailed without a hiccup, she was the queen of Photoshop.

And then things change.

Now, she periodically tries to change TV channels with her wireless phone and call me with the TV remote. (She’s 95, in assisted living.)

I encourage anyone who wants to transition an older relative to hand them your phone (mooch another for yourself) and show them how to do this, that, and the other. How do you make a call, how do you pick up an incoming call, how do you ignore same, what does it look like and what do you do if a second call comes in; receiving and sending texts; receiving and sending email; taking pics, saving them, and then sending them to their forty-’leven thousand online friends; navigating the web. If you’re brave, discuss security, phishing (“But Elaine sent it, she wouldn’t send anything bad!!!”), etc. If possible, let them mess with your phone for several days in a row. And then BUY THEM THE EXACT SAME MODEL YOU HAVE.

When they call you (and they will) saying that they tried to do [blank] but their phone did [blank], it’s so much easier to figure out on your end if they have the same model.

Happy electronic support for those of you dealing with us old farts. 🤪

I guess my sister and her husband have to deal with that crap. If my dad texts me, I call back without reading the text message.

Everything was fine, until just now, my dad called and I said “hello, hello” and all I hear is eating and glasses and silverware clanking sounds, finally hung up. I blame you🫵

VN Store

Back