The Official Johnny Majors Classic Game Thread: #24 Tennessee @ #17 Pittsburgh, 3:30 PM ET, ABC

Hooker was great after the first few series. Tillman had a few he should've caught, but it was the running game which was concerning. Small and Wright were bad today.
We knew coming in Pitt was going to stack the box. I’m not worried about the offense

Reactions: minorvol
Why?

Tennessee just went on the road and beat the 17th ranked team.

Before you start murmuring about backup QB……their 1st string wasn’t lighting anything up.

Tennessee proved they can beat a good team.
they proved they can win a close game.
They proved they can do it on the road.

But somehow……now expectations are lower?

Maybe it was the lack of pass coverage. Maybe the 80 yard td run. Maybe the fumble, muffed punt, and terrible O-line play. We still have a lot of good teams to play that are way better than Pitt. There’s a lot to be concerned about if it isn’t fixed.

Reactions: tdd
Pitt played with real guts when it could have been over at any point in the second half.

I didn't expect that out of our defense in the second half. Defense wins football games. The Vols looked like the Delta Tau Chi fraternity house at Faber College on Sunday morning but fans should enjoy any Top 20 win on the road.

The offense had a pretty bad day and we beat a ranked team on the road. I'll take it. All day.

Yes, very good point..!!

It has been a crazy day in football today! Even though there are more questions than answers on the Vols, the team played hard until the end (and a little more after the end).

At times both the defense and offense looked bad.......but at other times things looked good. Overall, I think it is safe say the offense didn't have a good second half, while the defense played better.

To go on the road against a higher ranked opponent, give a frustrating performance, and still get the win? Hell yeah we're gonna love it!

This could easily have gone the other way, folks. BUT IT DIDN'T. It. Did. Not.

TENNESSEE WON! We won, dammit! Great road win! 🧡🍊🏈
Last year we choked and LOST. This year we choked and WON. That's literal improvement.

VN Store

Back