‘23 Nigeria C Rueben Abuchi Chinyelu

No, we wanted him because of his size, build, and potential.

Exactly, you don't find many Shaq sized people that are remotely athletic. I remember people saying he could only dunk earlier in the thread, but that was 99 percent of Shaq's game, Dunks, and shots within 4-6 feet of the basket. It makes it even more confusing when we are recruiting Chinyelu, who by all reports is way more raw on offense than Cyril. I guess maybe we felt better about landing Chinyelu initially? I'll be curious to see if Kentucky, Alabama etc back off Cyril as well.

Reactions: cncchris33
Exactly, you don't find many Shaq sized people that are remotely athletic. I remember people saying he could only dunk earlier in the thread, but that was 99 percent of Shaq's game, Dunks, and shots within 4-6 feet of the basket. It makes it even more confusing when we are recruiting Chinyelu, who by all reports is way more raw on offense than Cyril. I guess maybe we felt better about landing Chinyelu initially? I'll be curious to see if Kentucky, Alabama etc back off Cyril as well.
I think part of it is that Chinyelu seemed like an easier grab because he was so unknown. Then the cat got out if the bag on him.

The other part is that Chinyelu is already elite at one thing; rebounding, where Cyril is still mostly a potential-based player.

I think part of it is that Chinyelu seemed like an easier grab because he was so unknown. Then the cat got out if the bag on him.

The other part is that Chinyelu is already elite at one thing; rebounding, where Cyril is still mostly a potential-based player.

The ON3 article where he spoke highly of Tennessee said he was already an elite defender/rim protector. But at 6'11 250 that's probably easier in high school than it would be in college. It's just having a top 30 prospect in your back yard that visits the school a lot seems a lot of connection to back away from just because of high school development issues. You can teach basketball but not 6'11 240+ at his age.

The ON3 article where he spoke highly of Tennessee said he was already an elite defender/rim protector. But at 6'11 250 that's probably easier in high school than it would be in college. It's just having a top 30 prospect in your back yard that visits the school a lot seems a lot of connection to back away from just because of high school development issues. You can teach basketball but not 6'11 240+ at his age.
Those are Chinyelu’s measurables too though

Those are Chinyelu’s measurables too though
So is it a choice the staff is making between the two? Seems to me that it makes decent sense if Cyril is surely reclassifying to 2023. But if he stays in 2024, I see no reason why you can't stack both guys.

So is it a choice the staff is making between the two? Seems to me that it makes decent sense if Cyril is surely reclassifying to 2023. But if he stays in 2024, I see no reason why you can't stack both guys.
I think they’d like Chinyelu and if they land him they won’t pursue Cyril in 2023 imo, now if they miss on Chinyelu then they might, and if Cyril stays in 2024 then they also might.

Reactions: allvolrecruiting
Kentucky claimed to have backed off of BHH due to their perception of his work ethic. Could there be a red flag for SC besides lack of hs development?

Kentucky claimed to have backed off of BHH due to their perception of his work ethic. Could there be a red flag for SC besides lack of hs development?

I've no idea. Everything I've read about him is pretty glowing but I guess if the staff feels they found someone close in Chenyelu that they maybe had a shot of getting sooner they are going that direction.

It would definitely stink if Cyril went off to Kansas or somewhere and went on to the NBA. It's never fun seeing players leave the back yard and having them blowup somewhere else.

Reactions: walkenvol
I've no idea. Everything I've read about him is pretty glowing but I guess if the staff feels they found someone close in Chenyelu that they maybe had a shot of getting sooner they are going that direction.

It would definitely stink if Cyril went off to Kansas or somewhere and went on to the NBA. It's never fun seeing players leave the back yard and having them blowup somewhere else.
There’s a big difference between back yard like a Jordan Bowden who’s from the area and backyard like Plavsic or Cyril, guys who moved to Chattanooga from other states/countries to attend a prep school. That’s like saying Virginia or Virginia Tech should be getting all the Oak Hill kids because it’s their backyard.

There’s a big difference between back yard like a Jordan Bowden who’s from the area and backyard like Plavsic or Cyril, guys who moved to Chattanooga from other states/countries to attend a prep school. That’s like saying Virginia or Virginia Tech should be getting all the Oak Hill kids because it’s their backyard.

Whether we do or don’t pursue Cyril is going to be based on his maturity and development as a player on a team. The waiting may mean he goes somewhere else. Our staff is comfortable with that risk. They won’t do any damage with HS coaches by playing this cautiously. Barnes’ transparency is a trait that rarely backfires.

Whether we do or don’t pursue Cyril is going to be based on his maturity and development as a player on a team. The waiting may mean he goes somewhere else. Our staff is comfortable with that risk. They won’t do any damage with HS coaches by playing this cautiously. Barnes’ transparency is a trait that rarely backfires.
Honestly, I hope we take the chance on Cyril. No offense to Chinyelu, but I would look at him as a "project". I'm on record as wanting to avoid one and done types, but Cyril likely won't be that caliber of player. I like his upside vs Chinyelu and don't see him as a BHH type. Might be wrong, but I've been wrong before...lots of times.

Honestly, I hope we take the chance on Cyril. No offense to Chinyelu, but I would look at him as a "project". I'm on record as wanting to avoid one and done types, but Cyril likely won't be that caliber of player. I like his upside vs Chinyelu and don't see him as a BHH type. Might be wrong, but I've been wrong before...lots of times.
At this point Cyril is probably looked at as more of a “project” than Chinyelu.

Cyril is very much considered a project as well, and has been considered that for awhile, that’s part of the negative view staffs have on him.

Cyril has a CB prediction to professional on 247 I saw recently

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220907-201250_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220907-201250_Chrome.jpg
    747.8 KB · Views: 105
Do you know a timeline of when he would want to commit?
I don’t have any intel on this one to this point, so will defer to @Stoerner Fumbles, but if he doesn’t make the Florida trip which is scheduled for 9/15-9/17 then I would assume he goes public before that, just because it would be a bit of a giveaway if he doesn’t make that trip. With that said On3 said last night that his trip to Florida was still on, so guess we will see what happens over next 6-7 days.

Reactions: berryvol
I don’t have any intel on this one to this point, so will defer to @Stoerner Fumbles, but if he doesn’t make the Florida trip which is scheduled for 9/15-9/17 then I would assume he goes public before that, just because it would be a bit of a giveaway if he doesn’t make that trip. With that said On3 said last night that his trip to Florida was still on, so guess we will see what happens over next 6-7 days.
My info is pretty light. When he visited, he/family had been stirred up about NIL money/workarounds. He had a great visit here. They were overwhelmed by the size of crowds, fans, facilities. Blown away by the hugeness of college sports here. He talked to Spyre who gave him/family explanation of NIL rules vs student visa limitations. Originally they thought they would visit “many” schools as he’s been receiving lots of interest. He called coaches to thank them, and say that the trip was exhausting and they would not see several schools. When they left here, the Florida tripped was booked. I don’t know if he’ll go or not. I agree with BTO on timeline. If he doesn’t go, a decision is implied. Might as well announce. Our coaches feel very good that it would be hard to top his visit here.

VN Store

Back