2023 Recruiting

There is most certainly a disconnect somewhere. Kellie needs to figure it out.These kids should be committing right after their visit.

My gut feeling is that getting commitments right after visits probably happens less often — for any program — than we might think. I could be wrong, though, and sure would love for some obsessive-compulsive recruiting expert to come up with a spreadsheet to track that data.

Seems like kids take a lot longer to decide now than they used to. Or maybe that’s just my perception.

Reactions: Memvol44 and Peas29
My gut feeling is that getting commitments right after visits probably doesn’t happen very often for any program. I could be wrong, though, and sure would love for some obsessive-compulsive recruiting expert to come up with a spreadsheet to track that data.

I think our staff are pretty picky as well. If something is off with the visit it may be us pulling back more often than not. From previous interviews it’s pretty clear this is a no promises staff. For some people that’s a deal breaker.

Not an insider. Have little to no knowledge of any recruit. Sincerely believe if anything has changed in recruiting since Coach Summitt to Coach Harper it's access to information.
I read (in a publication several years ago) a Summitt recruiting story told by Coach Demoss. Michelle Snow called to speak to Coach Summitt, one afternoon while Summitt was conducting practice. Snow hadn't committed yet and was now (out of the blue) considering UNC and Sylvia Hatchell. Demoss took the call. Demoss stopped practice to inform Summitt of the situation. Summitt took the phone and informed Michelle in a harsh tone (Paraphrased)..."I'm in the middle of practice something that's very important to me. Now you listen to me, sign your paperwork and faxed to my office this afternoon. Do you understand me? I don't have time for recruiting games. Now have I made myself clear? " Michelle's paperwork was received that afternoon.
Perhaps it's time for Coach Harper to make herself clear!

Not an insider. Have little to no knowledge of any recruit. Sincerely believe if anything has changed in recruiting since Coach Summitt to Coach Harper it's access to information.
I read (in a publication several years ago) a Summitt recruiting story told by Coach Demoss. Michelle Snow called to speak to Coach Summitt, one afternoon while Summitt was conducting practice. Snow hadn't committed yet and was now (out of the blue) considering UNC and Sylvia Hatchell. Demoss took the call. Demoss stopped practice to inform Summitt of the situation. Summitt took the phone and informed Michelle in a harsh tone (Paraphrased)..."I'm in the middle of practice something that's very important to me. Now you listen to me, sign your paperwork and faxed to my office this afternoon. Do you understand me? I don't have time for recruiting games. Now have I made myself clear? " Michelle's paperwork was received that afternoon.
I think Kellie has made herself pretty clear . ‘99 and ‘23 are totally different times . Nice reach though.

I think Kellie has made herself pretty clear . ‘99 and ‘23 are totally different times . Nice reach though.

This story is fun but there's no way that it's true. No coach would ever demand that a prospect sign her papers--ever--much less someone who hasn't even committed yet.

This story is fun but there's no way that it's true. No coach would ever demand that a prospect sign her papers--ever--much less someone who hasn't even committed yet.

It's been told repeatedly at functions and on TV in an interview. I don't think it's made up if it's been said so much and in multiple outlets

I don’t think that would work for her like it did for Pat. Once proven as an elite Coach, then maybe 🤷🏾‍♂️

What if we win with transfers then is the HS aspect still a problem? Not trying to start an argument. I'm actually curious as to what people think. I can see where it's a problem but if you solve the problem with another solution is it still a problem?

Also, just to be clear i want a HS commit as much as the next person and am intrigued to see why it's been such an issue. The coaching staff has to know this is the narrative.
So they are supremely confident they can haul in good players or just unbothered lol.
You get your players where you get them.

Bottom line: Until we can have a couple of seasons in which we make deep runs into the NCAA Tournament, opposing coaches vying for the same recruits we are going for are going to hammer endlessly on the fact that it has been a good while since we've gotten beyond the Sweet 16. The recruiting chatter can be brutal.

This is why this upcoming season is the most critical of Harper's career. If her team plays up to expectations and is a legitimate contender for championships, that line of insult will be stopped. Until then, opposing coaches are going to be as harsh as they can be to convince kids to dump us.

THIS IS OUR YEAR TO TAKE THE NEXT BIG STEP.
Sam just got here. It takes several years to develop relationships with recruits.

We are relieved she signed and…hung around!
D0FF0749-264B-4775-8431-5D6B88021971.jpeg

Except transfers?

To be fair, Sam recruited Rickea and had an established relationship. I think she also mentioned being familiar with Jillian (or that may have been Joy). Kellie had recruited Jasmine Franklin and landed her at Mizz St. Jasmine Powell knew the Michigan girls from AAU. So relationships were established .

It's been told repeatedly at functions and on TV in an interview. I don't think it's made up if it's been said so much and in multiple outlets

Just because it's been repeated doesn't mean it's true. My strong bet is that it's apocryphal, for the reasons stated above. No coach would do that. It sounds like something made up to burnish the myth of the steely PS.

The great Michelle Snow!! Was at Vandy when she dunked. Awesome!!!

VN Store

Back