Tennessee Vols Basketball Recruiting

So was Row v Wade. What the court ruled on was players making money on NIL image. Not schools partnering (under the table) with 3rd party groups who are little more than a front for wealthy boosters to funnel money and broker $$ to players with little to no actual marketing obligations.

I’m 100% for players making $ on their image, by earning it honestly and openly on the market.

Players showing up and getting paid for autograph sessions? Love it. Commercials, appearances, and actually having reciprocity for their work? Perfect!

I’m also cool with what we saw with ZZ when his home burned. I think that was a purely organic and free market.

Comparing this to Roe is absurd. Again, the Alston decision was 9-0. The Dobbs ruling kicked abortion to the states to decide, after 5 decades of political posturing. Judges were specifically appointed from the top down during those 5 decades to overturn Roe. It was a hot political issue for over a generation.

Alston is an open and shut antitrust ruling that will not be heard by the Court again anytime soon and likely never. The distinction between who pays the players is legally meaningless. It’s here to stay. You can pay them, I can pay them, it doesn’t matter. No one has the right to step in and say what a person can and cannot be paid for. The old system was, from a legal and constitutional standpoint, wrong. Alston corrected that. We’re not going back.

Not UT related, but Memphis apparently lost a transfer to Western Kentucky at the last minute of school starting. They expected him to probably be their 3/4th best player. Local radio is discussing whether Memphis NIL offerings are not coming through.

Not UT related, but Memphis apparently lost a transfer to Western Kentucky at the last minute of school starting. They expected him to probably be their 3/4th best player. Local radio is discussing whether Memphis NIL offerings are not coming through.
Emmanuel Akot, who had transferred from Boise State and committed to Memphis.

Reactions: Ryno14 and VolGee4
I found this stat pretty enlightening considering a lot of folks tend to think Tennessee is unique with landing 5-stars that aren’t one-and-done. Three of the 2019 class of 5-stars about to enter their final year of college eligibility. Yet a lot of our fans consider JJJ a bust because he didn’t go pro immediately. There are quite a few multi-year or 4 year players these days. Roughly half.

I found this stat pretty enlightening considering a lot of folks tend to think Tennessee is unique with landing 5-stars that aren’t one-and-done. Three of the 2019 class of 5-stars about to enter their final year of college eligibility. Yet a lot of our fans consider JJJ a bust because he didn’t go pro immediately. There are quite a few multi-year or 4 year players these days. Roughly half.

Yea, there’s a difference for sure being ranked 1-10 and 11-30 imo…I know some say rankings don’t matter and to an extent that is true, but as I’ve said before many times not all 5 stars are the same. Whether there should be a 6th star or more 4 stars instead of 5 stars that is just the case.

Honestly, I do think recency bias is playing into the Oats over Barnes decision. I think a case could be made that Barnes has done a better job or as good of a job as Oats. But, I won’t nitpick over 2 spot differences.
Oates has 3 classes at Bama, they ranked 13, 14 and 5…Barnes last 3 classes rank 6, 5 and 20. Our current class ranks 14th with 2 commits, their current class ranks 51st with 2 commits.

I mean, are they just looking at what each coach has done at their current respective schools? That would make sense, but if they are just talking about each coach's full career, I don't know how Barnes isn't in the top 10 considering he has KD to his name, for one. But also a ton of other guys at Texas and the guys he's landed at Tennessee.

VN Store

Back