‘23 CA QB Nicholaus Iamaleava (Tennessee)

Agreed @LittleVol Nico is the real deal. And barring a breakout from Milton, will start his freshman year. Ray en May or may not transfer out. He’s had a pretty good camp from what I’ve heard.

I'm not going to lie, I get super irritated with the some of the fans one here. Not all of them. Some are really knowledgeable, level headed people that can see things as they are in regards to football.

But you have people on here asking
- "Why don't they just put pads on first day of practice??" lol
- "Nico can't process our offense fast enough yet" and just haven't even watched the kid. His release is the fastest in the country. He reads through his progressions faster than anyone at his level right now.

Before other people (M Farrell and others) actually started to openly criticize Arch Manning. I also made it known to many on here that Nico was better AND IT WASN'T even close. I said this earlier this year. In the past 10 years, I've only seen one other QB with similar arm talent, with the ability to quickly read a defense and quickly deliver it like Nico does. And that's Bryce Young.
Saban went after Nico while he was committed ...even when he had guys committed to Bama ...and Arch not committed yet! Just think about that what that means...what it really means!

Vols fans just live in fear. Seriously? START JOE MILTON????!!What!???

This isn't some wild gamble of an opinion. Saban wanted him badly! Because he would take over immediately after Bryce left. Yes...he would beat out Simpson, and Milroe. I'm extremely high on Simpson, and he wouldn't beat out Nico. A true freshman Nico.
This isn't ATH 5 star James Banks, 5 star Jon Crompton, or 5 star Harrison Bailey that needs to speed up his delivery. This is the most advanced QB will ever sign up to this point.
I've been wrong before , but I am not wrong about this.

This is as plain as the green grass on the field! There is not some secret knowledge about his talent. Its obvious in your face talent. Physical and intangible talent.

I'm not going to lie, I get super irritated with the some of the fans one here. Not all of them. Some are really knowledgeable, level headed people that can see things as they are in regards to football.

But you have people on here asking
- "Why don't they just put pads on first day of practice??" lol
- "Nico can't process our offense fast enough yet" and just haven't even watched the kid. His release is the fastest in the country. He reads through his progressions faster than anyone at his level right now.

Before other people (M Farrell and others) actually started to openly criticize Arch Manning. I also made it known to many on here that Nico was better AND IT WASN'T even close. I said this earlier this year. In the past 10 years, I've only seen one other QB with similar arm talent, with the ability to quickly read a defense and quickly deliver it like Nico does. And that's Bryce Young.
Saban went after Nico while he was committed ...even when he had guys committed to Bama ...and Arch not committed yet! Just think about that what that means...what it really means!

Vols fans just live in fear. Seriously? START JOE MILTON????!!What!???

This isn't some wild gamble of an opinion. Saban wanted him badly! Because he would take over immediately after Bryce left. Yes...he would beat out Simpson, and Milroe. I'm extremely high on Simpson, and he wouldn't beat out Nico. A true freshman Nico.
This isn't ATH 5 star James Banks, 5 star Jon Crompton, or 5 star Harrison Bailey that needs to speed up his delivery. This is the most advanced QB will ever sign up to this point.
I've been wrong before , but I am not wrong about this.

This is as plain as the green grass on the field! There is not some secret knowledge about his talent. Its obvious in your face talent. Physical and intangible talent.
I don’t care how talented any high school guy is, he has to come here and compete for the starting spot. We can’t just give anybody anything

This would be fine, IF HE COULD SIT AND LEARN. :rolleyes:
But we have a bad Joe Milton and a probable sophmore in Jackson. Milton has been "filled with potential" since his junior year in High School. That was 5 years ago.

Yes I'm very aware of the Peyton situation. What you all don't know is that he briefly considered transferring because he was better than any of the other QBs ,but Fulmer was stuck on his "stature".

Nobody said Nico needed to be a superstar right away. He WILL BE the best QB once he gets here. Stop overthinking stuff...
Why would you start an inferior QB? Dumb...

So you’re labeling Milton as bad, because he had struggles in an extremely shortened year 1 (didn’t show up until fall, no luxury of spring ball) in a new system in a town with new coaches?? Why so quick to say someone is a bad player based on a very small sampling! My thought is Milton has worked w/ Heupel & Halzle for a year now, he’ll get another year to work with them this year, next year he will start year 3 in the same system with the same coaches. I see great opportunity for improvement given the coaches that are coaching him. I’m not saying you hand the starting job to someone based on how many years they have been at a school, but I do think which ever QB is the most prepared, the most knowledgeable of the offense and most able to do what the coaches ask them to do should start. I’m simply not writing anyone off.

What is your source on that Manning story, never heard that before (plus transferring was nowhere near as common place during that time because the rules were entirely different) pretty sure he came in planning to redshirt based on everything his parents said in interviews.

Im not overthinking anything, I’m just actually thinking. I’m saying you can’t say any qb is inferior to another until they’re all on the same practice/playing field during the same season. I’m all for putting the best player on the field. However, if there is opportunity for a kid who was playing high school ball a year earlier to acclimate to college before throwing him in the fire that is going to be extremely beneficial.

And please don’t get me wrong, I am looking forward to seeing Nico as a Vol! I believe he is going to be great! I just don’t think he necessarily has to be the starter the moment he walks in to campus. Willing to bet he don’t either.

So you’re labeling Milton as bad, because he had struggles in an extremely shortened year 1 (didn’t show up until fall, no luxury of spring ball) in a new system in a town with new coaches?? Why so quick to say someone is a bad player based on a very small sampling! My thought is Milton has worked w/ Heupel & Halzle for a year now, he’ll get another year to work with them this year, next year he will start year 3 in the same system with the same coaches. I see great opportunity for improvement given the coaches that are coaching him. I’m not saying you hand the starting job to someone based on how many years they have been at a school, but I do think which ever QB is the most prepared, the most knowledgeable of the offense and most able to do what the coaches ask them to do should start. I’m simply not writing anyone off.

What is your source on that Manning story, never heard that before (plus transferring was nowhere near as common place during that time because the rules were entirely different) pretty sure he came in planning to redshirt based on everything his parents said in interviews.

Im not overthinking anything, I’m just actually thinking. I’m saying you can’t say any qb is inferior to another until they’re all on the same practice/playing field during the same season. I’m all for putting the best player on the field. However, if there is opportunity for a kid who was playing high school ball a year earlier to acclimate to college before throwing him in the fire that is going to be extremely beneficial.

And please don’t get me wrong, I am looking forward to seeing Nico as a Vol! I believe he is going to be great! I just don’t think he necessarily has to be the starter the moment he walks in to campus. Willing to bet he don’t either.
I didn't read past the 2nd sentence.
Because of what you said. There are at least 2 seasons of his tape on YouTube.

It's hard to be a great QB. But it's not super hard to be an average one. He's not even that...🙄. I don't understand what people need to see....TO SEE.

Reactions: Proud Army Wife
I didn't read past the 2nd sentence.
Because of what you said. There are at least 2 seasons of his tape on YouTube.

It's hard to be a great QB. But it's not super hard to be an average one. He's not even that...🙄. I don't understand what people need to see....TO SEE.
Everyday you make it more obvious that you never played high level football… If you listen to the TEAM and Coaching staff then you would know that everyone in the program believes in Joe… they respect that he stuck with the team and continues to work to improve after losing the starting job…coach heup said he has had really good command of the offense and that can’t be undervalued… you may have given up on Joe but to bash him constantly and act as if he can’t improve with proper coaching is just plain stupid… the potential is through the roof and I for one respect any man in this era that stays the course puts his head down and works to improve and I hope joe lights it up for the Vols when he gets his chance…

@SSVol and did you watch his game tonight?

Have you paid attention to him at all this off-season?

So he's skinny with a slow brain? How is he a 5 star again haha?

It's not JUST a good arm. Its a deadly accurate arm, attached to 6'6 dude that can launch from many platforms and kill you with his legs. And...maybe he can read a defense a little? Maybe he can understand down and distance ?

Oh I suppose the Hercules that is Bryce Young is where Nico needs to physically get to right :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:?

What's bad is that so many people liked your comment.
Some of yall are these old dudes that will slow play dating the younger lady just because she's young so you're uncertain. But you'll give all the trust to the older girl with her attitude and unchanging ways, because it's "safer".

Overreact much?

Bryce Young, #2 overall composite, redshirted his true freshman year, sitting behind composite 3* Mac Jones. Surely Saban knew that BY was better, and yet, he sat. Crazy.

Nobody is disrespecting or downplaying Nico. Simply stating that he would benefit from a chance to learn the system and develop his body without being thrown into games where he is facing Bama and UGA defenses. Not sure why that offends you.

If he earns the job as a freshman, I'll look forward to seeing him play.

Overreact much?

Bryce Young, #2 overall composite, redshirted his true freshman year, sitting behind composite 3* Mac Jones. Surely Saban knew that BY was better, and yet, he sat. Crazy.

Nobody is disrespecting or downplaying Nico. Simply stating that he would benefit from a chance to learn the system and develop his body without being thrown into games where he is facing Bama and UGA defenses. Not sure why that offends you.

Part of the reason Mac Jones played was beyond the fact that he turned into a top 15 draft pick. Mac Jones was the team leader, he owned the locker room. If you go back and see all of the receivers Bama had drafted and their pre-draft interviews, they were asked very subtlety by Dan Patrick or Cowherd, who’s the guy you’dwant to play with Tua or Jones? They all said Jones. Jones was easily the least talented, but his leadership abilities combined with his improvements allowed him to be Heisman finalist and National Champion. For perspective, Tua was the only the starting QB not named a captain in the NFL.

I’d have no problem if Milton took the reigns if he had shown a lot of improvement over these couple of years. I hope he does actually.

Overreact much?

Are you really comparing Joe Milton to 1st round Mac Jones?

Last edited:
Everyday you make it more obvious that you never played high level football… If you listen to the TEAM and Coaching staff then you would know that everyone in the program believes in Joe… they respect that he stuck with the team and continues to work to improve after losing the starting job…coach heup said he has had really good command of the offense and that can’t be undervalued… you may have given up on Joe but to bash him constantly and act as if he can’t improve with proper coaching is just plain stupid… the potential is through the roof and I for one respect any man in this era that stays the course puts his head down and works to improve and I hope joe lights it up for the Vols when he gets his chance…

I wouldn't even bring him up if silly people like you didn't actually want him to start over Nico...

Never said he wasn't a good teammate. Now you can go cry about how unfair the world is...

Next year is going to be interesting. I think the competition between everyone will probably be the most contested competition since Ainge won the job.
Tayven Jackson is a guy that in 2 years from now, can be a really good starting QB from somebody. He seems to be taking the coaching from Heupel well. Good runner with a strong arm. Led his school to 2 State Championships iirc. I hope he stays no matter what.

Ignorant post joe Milton will be in his 3rd year in the system and have sat behind one of the best QBs to wear Orange and white for 2 years studying competing and learning… he has the trust and respect of the team and coaching staff there will be a lot about being a college Qb that he can help Nico with… you guys who think Nico is walking in Day 1 with nothing to learn and improve on are crazy… joe’s size and skill is comparable to anyone in the nation he will win the starting job from game 1 how long he keeps it will be determined by his play In game… he ran the offense efficiently when he started just could not hit the deep ball… think Mahomes with Nico let em sit behind a seasoned guy and learn the little details of playing Qb and preparing to be a starting Qb in the toughest conference in America… then have em battle it out with tayven and let the best man win…
I suspect there is a mental aspect to Milton's development. I think he has trouble battling adrenaline when the game lights come on. That's why he is a practice king, and air-mailing in-game. If Heup can calm down game speed for him and relax him in the big moments, Milton will likely be one of the best QBs in the nation next year. If not, we'll need someone else to step up again.

Tayven Jackson is a guy that in 2 years from now, can be a really good starting QB from somebody. He seems to be taking the coaching from Heupel well. Good runner with a strong arm. Led his school to 2 State Championships iirc. I hope he stays no matter what.
All reports are he is taking to coaching very well and has the right attitude. He could be a completely different QB 12 months from now.

Are you really comparing Joe Milton to 1st round Mac Jones?

No...the 2019 Mac Jones who looked pretty pedestrian against Tennessee and got beat by Auburn. JG would've looked good throwing for Bama. The fact that 3* Jones went 1st round is really the point. He got time to prep and learn, so when he got his chance he shined. I assure you, he wouldn't have looked good as a true freshman.

Saban sat a higher ranked guy than Nico, and it's likely he would've sat Nico too had he got him...just like he does with most of his 5* QBs.

I wouldn't even bring him up if silly people like you didn't actually want him to start over Nico...

Never said he wasn't a good teammate. Now you can go cry about how unfair the world is...

No rational person wants to start Milton over Nico. Nobody. Every rational person wants the best guy to play, whoever that is. Some of us just think there is more to being the best than throwing dimes, and those other things might result in Nico needing a year. Why is this hard to grasp?

I’m silly because I rather let the freshman Qb sit and learn if he doesn’t have to play right away? I want every single player that plays for us to do well because I’m a real fan who understand the amount of work these guys are putting in… if Nico wins the job I will be happy and cheer him on I want him to break every record at UT but if we have a 5th year guy that stayed the course and didn’t run and put in work I want to see what he does with his chance as well… you act is if Joe isn’t 6”5 240 with the best arm talent in college football… this staff unlocked hooker I’m sure they can help Milton and if not thank goodness we have tayven and Nico behind him.

VN Store

Back