Two Vols on Bruce Feldman's annual "Freak List"

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member

24. Jaylen Wright, Tennessee, running back
He had a good debut season in 2021, rushing for 409 yards and four touchdowns, but figures to be even more of a weapon in Josh Heupel’s system. The 5-11 Wright is up to 200 pounds but displayed some serious juice this offseason, clocking 23.6 mph in practice. Beyond that, Wright vertical-jumped 44 inches and did a 10-8 broad jump.​
94. Elijah Simmons, Tennessee, defensive tackle
A former middle school running back, Simmons has grown into a 6-2, 340-pound powerhouse who is the Vols’ strongest player. Simmons bench-presses 455, incline-presses 385 and power-cleans 345. He’s also a really gifted singer.​

Bruce Feldman's 2022 college football Freaks List: Michigan's Mazi Smith is No. 1

Good grief Simmons huh , will believe it when I see it. From what I can see he can’t play more than 2 plays in a row without near death from exhaustion. Needs to decide if he wants to be a big time player or just eat himself out of what could be a great career.
In Bruce Feldman's defense, this 'freak' list isn't necessarily about the best players, but who puts up the best tangible, physical asset numbers - kind of like measuring guys out at the NFL combine.

That said, I do agree - Simmons is a big ol' boy to not have more of an impact than he does at game time.

Reactions: Smokey19rt

24. Jaylen Wright, Tennessee, running back
He had a good debut season in 2021, rushing for 409 yards and four touchdowns, but figures to be even more of a weapon in Josh Heupel’s system. The 5-11 Wright is up to 200 pounds but displayed some serious juice this offseason, clocking 23.6 mph in practice. Beyond that, Wright vertical-jumped 44 inches and did a 10-8 broad jump.​
94. Elijah Simmons, Tennessee, defensive tackle
A former middle school running back, Simmons has grown into a 6-2, 340-pound powerhouse who is the Vols’ strongest player. Simmons bench-presses 455, incline-presses 385 and power-cleans 345. He’s also a really gifted singer.​

Bruce Feldman's 2022 college football Freaks List: Michigan's Mazi Smith is No. 1

Wright was a track guy. I don’t think his speed has gotten enough attention . Hopefully he’ll get healthy and be ready to go.

Wright was a track guy. I don’t think his speed has gotten enough attention . Hopefully he’ll get healthy and be ready to go.

Tennessee has alot of weapons that can make big plays at any moment.....Callaway, Wright, Hiatt, Sampson, Squirrel, etc in addition to proven vets like Tillman, Smalls, Warren....

^^^^THIS^^^^

This insane person keeps this massive website up and running for our enjoyment, and its free. I have even offered to pay, and he wouldn't accept my offer.
Personally, I think @Freak should add a donate button down on the bottom of the page. . . by the "contact us", "terms and rules", "privacy", "help", and "home" buttons.
Wouldn't be in the way and wouldn't be right in everyone's face all the time, but it would give us the opportunity to throw $5-$10 to VolNation every now and then.

^^^^THIS^^^^

This insane person keeps this massive website up and running for our enjoyment, and its free. I have even offered to pay, and he wouldn't accept my offer.
Just send the money to me and I'll get it to Freak----he's kinda shy when it comes to money stuff. Not me though :cool::cool::cool::cool:. Call me and I'll get you the pertinent information-------dial 911 and ask for me by name :):)

Good grief Simmons huh , will believe it when I see it. From what I can see he can’t play more than 2 plays in a row without near death from exhaustion. Needs to decide if he wants to be a big time player or just eat himself out of what could be a great career.
But, for those two plays he looks like a bulldozer! I keep looking for him to buy-in to the conditioning program, drop some unnecessary weight and be a beast. However, none of the practice reports I have read or watched even mention him this fall. It is really a waste of potential if he lets his opportunity slip away.

Edit: Oops...there's the first mention, media report from Practice 9 - he was dinged up and did some work indoors.

Last edited:
Personally, I think @Freak should add a donate button down on the bottom of the page. . . by the "contact us", "terms and rules", "privacy", "help", and "home" buttons.
Wouldn't be in the way and wouldn't be right in everyone's face all the time, but it would give us the opportunity to throw $5-$10 to VolNation every now and then.
I reached out to him a few years ago and offered to paypal or mail him a check. I don't have tons of cash but I was willing to send a little cash to help keep the servers and stuff going. He respectfully, declined. I literally get all of my Vols info from this site. I do not post a ton, but I really enjoy reading and keep up with my beloved Vols.

Also, I do not think he want to turn this into a money making scheme. He is just truly extremely passionate about our Vols and does this as a community service to all of us. He does a remarkable job of it, might I ad. There are also great moderators here that keep it clean and sorted out.

It's time for Simmons to step up and dominate.

He's had the physical gifts since he stepped onto campus 3 years ago and he's been my favorite player since that time... but the production hasn't matched the ability yet. He's got All-SEC ability. Time to act like it.

Your correct. He has his players mixed up.
Or JW also clocked a 23.6 and you weren't aware. Is that possible or is there a list of max speeds clocked by our players somewhere and 23.6 ain't it for JW?

I reached out to him a few years ago and offered to paypal or mail him a check. I don't have tons of cash but I was willing to send a little cash to help keep the servers and stuff going. He respectfully, declined. I literally get all of my Vols info from this site. I do not post a ton, but I really enjoy reading and keep up with my beloved Vols.
Not just Vols info, if you browse around the site, it has something for everyone. You could be a non-sports/UT fan and still enjoy using this site. It really is the best community site on the internet.

VN Store

Back