The Grill and BBQ thread

Stubbornly holding out cuz my cast iron griddletop works out so well on the propane grill. But I’ll cave the first time a great deal comes along.
It did work very well. I just don't think it stayed as hot as it was at the start. Or, maybe I need to figure out how to remove the grease after each round of patties.

That’s the one. New issue is I have a combo shoulder/butt. Broke in half on the way to the board. Followed the recipe but maybe used too much hot sauce as the binder. Going to cook the two pieces side by side…looking at 8-10 hours smoking time.
I ad libbed a mango-habanero sauce about a year ago, trying to figure out what to the do with the habaneros I'd bought on a whim. Wifey likes mango, so that was on hand. I'd bought a sauce that used carrots and peaches with habanero a long time ago, and figured this was close enough. It was better. I'd forgotten all about it. Going to do it on purpose this time. Good idea.

I ad libbed a mango-habanero sauce about a year ago, trying to figure out what to the do with the habaneros I'd bought on a whim. Wifey likes mango, so that was on hand. I'd bought a sauce that used carrots and peaches with habanero a long time ago, and figured this was close enough. It was better. I'd forgotten all about it. Going to do it on purpose this time. Good idea.
I’m sure there’s a lot of mix and match elements to it. Next time I’ll cut the percentage of mango and orange wedge juice from the recipe. I’m more a savory heat guy but the wife differs.

Reactions: Orange.
Never done this before. Care to share the recipe and what you did?
I used an egg with a convection plate, but any grill you can keep at a 250-325 temp should work. Cut some chuck roast into manageable packages and sear. Throw it into a Dutch oven with a jar of pepperoncini, a packet of au just gravy powder, packet of ranch seasoning, stick of butter, and top it off with water, broth, or beer (I used shiner bock). Throw it on the grill and let it cook uncovered for awhile, add more braising liquid if needed, then cover and let it cook til its tender enough to fall apart.

I worked off a recipe I found on the internet for "Mississippi po'boys."

I used an egg with a convection plate, but any grill you can keep at a 250-325 temp should work. Cut some chuck roast into manageable packages and sear. Throw it into a Dutch oven with a jar of pepperoncini, a packet of au just gravy powder, packet of ranch seasoning, stick of butter, and top it off with water, broth, or beer (I used shiner bock). Throw it on the grill and let it cook uncovered for awhile, add more braising liquid if needed, then cover and let it cook til its tender enough to fall apart.

My wife does this recipe (which she got from a friend in New Orleans) in the crock pot. I think she puts onions in there, too. The pepperoncini give it a unique but wonderful flavor.

This is literally how we make Mississippi Pot Roast in the slow cooker except we use onion soup mix instead of gravy and don’t add any liquid (the liquid from the roast is enough). Every time we make it I wonder why we don’t make it more than we do lol.

I call this Mississippi Mud Roast. The pepperoncini gives it a zing/bite

Reactions: clarksvol00
This is literally how we make Mississippi Pot Roast in the slow cooker except we use onion soup mix instead of gravy and don’t add any liquid (the liquid from the roast is enough). Every time we make it I wonder why we don’t make it more than we do lol.
I really liked it. Shredded the roast and made sandwiches on hoagie rolls.

My wife does this recipe (which she got from a friend in New Orleans) in the crock pot. I think she puts onions in there, too. The pepperoncini give it a unique but wonderful flavor.
I've done something similar in the crock pot for italian beef sandwiches, but with Italian seasoning, beef broth, giardianara, and pepperoncini.

Over the top chili is the bomb.
Really intrigued by the chili. I've had a cast iron Dutch oven sitting around and decided to re-season it and look for ways to use it in the smoker. Over the top chili was one of the first things I saw and I considered making it, but it's too damn hot for chili.

Reactions: Boca Vol
Really intrigued by the chili. I've had a cast iron Dutch oven sitting around and decided to re-season it and look for ways to use it in the smoker. Over the top chili was one of the first things I saw and I considered making it, but it's too damn hot for chili.
Yep, definitely a cool late fall football Saturday dish.

I’m sure there’s a lot of mix and match elements to it. Next time I’ll cut the percentage of mango and orange wedge juice from the recipe. I’m more a savory heat guy but the wife differs.
Used one habanero with half the seeds and this round is sweet 🔥. Mango, with a touch of carrot, peach, and orange bell pepper, and a tad of olive oil. Did not smoke the fruit (so no savory). Put it in a blender. I could take it up to all the seeds but I think better half might consider that over the top. I might make his and her versions. I have two more habaneros. 🤔 Going to eat it on cobia tonight. And prolly beef tomorrow. Edit: I just looked back at the recipe. I should prolly add coriander. I have a bunch.

Last edited:
Reactions: butchna
Used one habanero with half the seeds and this round is sweet 🔥. Mango, with a touch of carrot, peach, and orange bell pepper, and a tad of olive oil. Did not smoke the fruit (so no savory). Put it in a blender. I could take it up to all the seeds but I think better half might consider that over the top. I might make his and her versions. I have two more habaneros. 🤔 Going to eat it on cobia tonight. And prolly beef tomorrow. Edit: I just looked back at the recipe. I should prolly add coriander. I have a bunch.
I added fresh cilantro and it worked really well

Reactions: Orange.

VN Store

Back