2023 Lineup Projection

Stanwich and Chapman are the two freshmen most likely to push for starting time, but Drieling is also a candidate. I do wish one of those top freshmen was an infielder to add some depth there.

My updated lineup projection based on today’s new information.

SS Maui Ahuna
LF Griffin Merrit
C Jared Dickey
1B Blake Burke
3B Zane Denton
2B Christian Moore
DH Kavares Tears/Logan Chambers
RF Colby Backus
CF Kyle Booker

I’m a little hazy on how the first 4 batters will go and in what order. That’s 3 lefties in your first 4, which I doubt we do. But, I think we’ll want speed in the Leadoff Position. And, then, hard to put Dickey anywhere but 3rd or 4th.
Did Ahuna lead off at Kansas? Do we have a true lead off?

SS Maui Ahuna
LF Griffin Merrit
C Jared Dickey
1B Blake Burke
3B Zane Denton
2B Christian Moore
RF Colby Backus
CF Kyle Booker

I’m a little hazy on how the first 4 batters will go and in what order. That’s 3 lefties in your first 4, which I doubt we do. But, I think we’ll want speed in the Leadoff Position. And, then, hard to put Dickey anywhere but 3rd or 4th.

Just a friendly debate, why is Tears starting at DH when he didn’t have a single at bat this past season?

Reactions: greasemachine
Just a friendly debate, why is Tears starting at DH when he didn’t have a single at bat this past season?

Projection. For one thing, it looks like Mookie has Tears platooning with Chambers at DH (which I agree with). For another, Tears has tons of upside and many project him to be an outstanding hitter. He didn’t have an at bat in 2022 because he was redshirting and polishing his game. Just like Dickey redshirted in 2021 and then became a vital piece in 2022.

It’s all projection and speculation as Greg said. We know there will be several contributors in 2023 that didn’t play one pitch or one inning this past year. I think he’ll be one of them.

Reactions: youcancallmeAl

SS Maui Ahuna
LF Griffin Merrit
C Jared Dickey
1B Blake Burke
3B Zane Denton
2B Christian Moore
RF Colby Backus
CF Kyle Booker

Mookie, Backus runs a 6.47 60, he was the fastest guy on the team at Walters State, and he is 6'4" and 230 ibs with lots of power. I can't see him hitting 8th. In your lineup, I think I would put him at fourth as a righty between Dickey and Burke, and let Burke protect him. And Griffin hit at the 3 and 4 hole in Cincy, I don't have a clue as to his speed. maybe he's got the speed to hit 2nd. I might switch Moore with him. Lots to conjecture about. Lotsa fun at this time of year. Point is: Looks like we have ourselves a murderers row goin on here!

Projection. For one thing, it looks like Mookie has Tears platooning with Chambers at DH (which I agree with). For another, Tears has tons of upside and many project him to be an outstanding hitter. He didn’t have an at bat in 2022 because he was redshirting and polishing his game. Just like Dickey redshirted in 2021 and then became a vital piece in 2022.

Tears and Chambers are both left hand hitters, I think, or am I wrong about that?

I wasn’t necessarily saying we should platoon them, it was more like those are the two I expect to be in competition for the DH. Chambers will likely compete for 2B, but I expect Moore to win it.

Gotcha. I'm wondering who would be the righty in a DH platoon. I guess that will play out in the fall and spring. All of this is fun to watch and speculate.

Looking at last season, Tennessee had 6 bullpen guys we could really count on in weekend/postseason games: Sewell, Kirby, Walsh, McLaughlin, Mabrey, and Joyce. Of course, once Blade returned, we had 4 weekend starters, so one could be used in the pen. But that was an embarrassment of riches.

So Tennessee needs 6 bullpen guys it can really count on in 2023. I think we have 4 already in Sewell, Evans, Kirby, and Halvorsen. I’m guessing Lindsey ends up being a 5th.

That means we need one or two of Orr, Loop, Zach Joyce, Ethan Smith, Fanning, Fitzgibbons, or one of the 4 JUCOs to step up and be a reliable bullpen arm. I’d say the odds of that happening are pretty good, especially considering who the pitching coach is.

In short, Sewell returning is huge. Not only does Tennessee look like it’ll have the best starting rotation in college baseball again, but there’s a great chance this is an elite bullpen again.

Looking at last season, Tennessee had 6 bullpen guys we could really count on in weekend/postseason games: Sewell, Kirby, Walsh, McLaughlin, Mabrey, and Joyce. Of course, once Blade returned, we had 4 weekend starters, so one could be used in the pen. But that was an embarrassment of riches.

So Tennessee needs 6 bullpen guys it can really count on in 2023. I think we have 4 already in Sewell, Evans, Kirby, and Halvorsen. I’m guessing Lindsey ends up being a 5th.

That means we need one or two of Orr, Loop, Zach Joyce, Ethan Smith, Fanning, Fitzgibbons, or one of the 4 JUCOs to step up and be a reliable bullpen arm. I’d say the odds of that happening are pretty good, especially considering who the pitching coach is.

In short, Sewell returning is huge. Not only does Tennessee look like it’ll have the best starting rotation in college baseball again, but there’s a great chance this is an elite bullpen again.
good assessment, and I agree that with the new folks coming in, freshmen and transfers, we should be just fine. We've been fairly fortunate with the injury bug, yes, we've had a few but not a lot at one time, let's hope that trend continues. Also, "Q" plays a big part in keeping the guys healthy, I'm glad he decided to return.....

Reactions: youcancallmeAl

Pulled the paragraph on Fanning….Article had numerous breakout players

– Hollis Fanning, RHP, Walnut Creek Crawdads (Tennessee)

The talk about Fanning was that he was a hidden gem-type of pro prospect, and it certainly looks like that is the case. The Crawdad righty has a 6’8, 220-pound frame and was heating up the zone with 94-95mph bee bees. Now, keep in mind he threw just 5.1 innings for the No. 1-ranked Volunteers last season, but he is starting to get his feet under him here in the CCL this summer. At the break he was sporting a sub-3 ERA (2.94) and had doled out 28 strikeouts against just three measly walks. That could be an indication of a pitcher who is ready to blossom in 2023. He had a little tough luck in the Showcase game as you could say he gave up the game-winning run. The first batter he faced, Tyler Ganus, reached first on an E6 and eventually coming around to score on a groundout, marking the first run of the game.

Pulled the paragraph on Fanning….Article had numerous breakout players

– Hollis Fanning, RHP, Walnut Creek Crawdads (Tennessee)

The talk about Fanning was that he was a hidden gem-type of pro prospect, and it certainly looks like that is the case. The Crawdad righty has a 6’8, 220-pound frame and was heating up the zone with 94-95mph bee bees. Now, keep in mind he threw just 5.1 innings for the No. 1-ranked Volunteers last season, but he is starting to get his feet under him here in the CCL this summer. At the break he was sporting a sub-3 ERA (2.94) and had doled out 28 strikeouts against just three measly walks. That could be an indication of a pitcher who is ready to blossom in 2023. He had a little tough luck in the Showcase game as you could say he gave up the game-winning run. The first batter he faced, Tyler Ganus, reached first on an E6 and eventually coming around to score on a groundout, marking the first run of the game.

LOVE seeing this.

Tennessee lost all 10 players selected in the 2022 MLB Draft, but its recruiting class fared well in the draft and the Vols have restocked their roster in the transfer portal. Let’s take a look at the signing bonuses for Tennessee’s players off to professional baseball while detailing where the Vols’ roster stands at the start of August.
Tennessee Baseball Roster Update Following MLB Draft Signing Period | Rocky Top Insider

Last edited:

VN Store

Back