Bad news for UConn fans, maybe not for you

BYers believe this injury will gurantee paige stays a 5th year. I think it may be the opposite but time will tell . What do you guys think ?

The concerned responses from our members concerning an injury to another team's player is yet another example of why I enjoy most of our board members. The individual who titled the thread, a Connecticutt fan obviously does not, and thus I will only state - not an appropriate title.
Yeah the title to this thread was not appropriate imo. But we all say dumb stuff sometimes.

The concerned responses from our members concerning an injury to another team's player is yet another example of why I enjoy most of our board members. The individual who titled the thread, a Connecticutt fan obviously does not, and thus I will only state - not an appropriate title.
I completely agree, my thread does lack the compassion that we all feel. First reactions are not always the best, and I wish I could have taken it back. Paige is beloved in our neck of the woods, not just as a player, but as a person, and her recovery is all that matters. I am actually embarrassed by the post, and to have a LVOL fan point that out shows me that we all can share when something like this happens. Thank you all for supporting her recovery.

I completely agree, my thread does lack the compassion that we all feel. First reactions are not always the best, and I wish I could have taken it back. Paige is beloved in our neck of the woods, not just as a player, but as a person, and her recovery is all that matters. I am actually embarrassed by the post, and to have a LVOL fan point that out shows me that we all can share when something like this happens. Thank you all for supporting her recovery.
…pretty sure you can edit the thread title… 😉

BYers believe this injury will gurantee paige stays a 5th year. I think it may be the opposite but time will tell . What do you guys think ?

Paige and her mom were already talking about taking her covid year and staying through 2025. No idea what the future holds but money is not an inducement for Paige to go up to the next level.

Paige and her mom were already talking about taking her covid year and staying through 2025. No idea what the future holds but money is not an inducement for Paige to go up to the next level.
Money wont ever be an issue for Paige its the fact that she's close to being injury prone and not having a chance to thrive as a pro . Paige had stated previously that she was going to stay "4 years " for sure she never said anything about a 5th year but now they believe she may bc of the injury. A talent like her needs to go pro she will be an olympian and start her legacy before her stock drops post injury if she does not return the same.

Reactions: VA_VOLFAN
I hate to be the one to say it, but she came back kinda early last year and she was obviously favoring that leg in the tourney. You could see her hop around on her good leg at times to take pressure off of the bad leg. And she was wincing at times when landing on it, she had to come out also to rest it a bit…..she wasn’t 100%. Might have zero to do with this injury, we will never know.

And this is not directed at Geno. I know Paige and her family made that decision, I followed it. She loves to play so much, she was eager to come back and play. God bless her, that girl was born to play BB and she is one of the most natural/gifted players to ever play the game.

Even if she never played another game, I would say she is one of the most skilled players I have seen in WBB in my lifetime already. People, myself included, love watching her play the game. Her freshman year was simply amazing. I’m a huge fan of her talent.

Last edited:
I thought season starts in 3 months so she could be bk
I get that this is likely your second language and all, and so the intent does not always reveal itself in typed responses, but she tore her ACL and is done for the upcoming season.

Its hard for me to believe that she is going to stay to be a senior or 5th year player she will be almost 23. i doubt if she would want to stay at that age i think she would want to compete with the women in the W

Reactions: chuckiepoo and Lucy
she never said anything about a 5th year
Obviously you don't know what you are talking about. She said she was playing 4 years when asked about going pro as a junior eligible. It was in recent months she began to consider using her covid year.

Praying for a speedy recovery ❤️‍🩹 but i'm not coronating SC repeat champions yet just because the games have to be played and we see how injuries impact teams or if a team gets hot (Louisville vs Brittany and Baylor) can impact the tourney.

But less be clear SC will start off as number 1 as they rightfully should.

This is totally fair IMO. It's very difficult to go back to back with championships in sports as even if most or all the team returns a following season with young people the team chemistry changes year over year just due to them being young. No doubt Gamecocks should be #1 early, but there's a reason you actually play the games.

Only true PG we have is Nika Muhl, although Azzi has played the point. That is not a good Idea, as we need her off the ball. Muhl was told by Geno to work on her offense this summer, so if she has improved on that it could be her. That would mean no back-up. We will see how the chips fall, at least it didn't happen in December. I was really looking forward to seeing Paige and Azzi together healthy. I was really never worried about injuries until last year, and yes, its not just us, but it's happening too often these days.
Hate it for her. She will get another year, thankfully for Paige and UConn. We can certainly relate. You never want to see a player go down to injury. They all work so hard.

I don't care where she plays. She's the best woman's player imo. I wished she would have came to UT. Just because she didn't, no one but a pos would wish someone to get hurt over a BB game.

Hopefully this injury bug doesn't ruin her career.
It won’t. Remember how Catchings went down in an instant with her knee injury, got drafted by Indiana, anyway and now sits in WNBA Hall of Fame and has four Olympic Gold Medals.

A young super-student like, for example, Keyen Green, is guaranteed to take advantage of every opportunity to have another year of higher education paid for. If there’d been a way for Keyen to stay in school under scholarship until she was 30, I’d bet she’d have gladly continued piling up advanced degrees and enjoying that difficult course load.

But not everyone is built like that. Not everyone enjoys the challenge of balancing the demands of class work and court work. Not everyone gets excited about the idea of being in college 6 years.

I suppose even if someone isn’t that enamored with doing advance-level course work for a super-extended period COULD fill the NCAA semester hours requirements with extremely simple classes that don’t even require attendance, but even THEN people like that — the ones who identify more closely as athlete than they do student — are possibly going to feel a bit tied down by even having to bother with taking a final exam for a class titled “How to Make Macaroni Art.”

Time will tell. Getting an advanced degree may or may not be appealing.

Reactions: chuckiepoo and Lucy
I hate to be the one to say it, but she came back kinda early last year and she was obviously favoring that leg in the tourney. You could see her hop around on her good leg at times to take pressure off of the bad leg. And she was wincing at times when landing on it, she had to come out also to rest it a bit…..she wasn’t 100%. Might have zero to do with this injury, we will never know.

And this is not directed at Geno. I know Paige and her family made that decision, I followed it. She loves to play so much, she was eager to come back and play. God bless her, that girl was born to play BB and she is one of the most natural/gifted players to ever play the game.

Even if she never played another game, I would say she is one of the most skilled players I have seen in WBB in my lifetime already. People, myself included, love watching her play the game. Her freshman year was simply amazing.

I am sure her doctors had cleared her to play. Unfortunately, ACL's are part of the women's game and it is natural to want to find a potential cause for why an ACL happened to a specific player at a specific time and so you can always find something post hoc as a potential culprit. But honestly, such injuries seem to be fairly random events.

As for her career at Uconn, the NIL does change the equation. Though the WNBA is gaining momentum, WCBB is still the bigger media draw. I would not be shocked if she could not make better than a WNBA salary (200K i think) though her NIL.

On the flipside, college athletes do at some point want to move and go to the next level. If she has good return season in 23-24 and likes the situation with the 1st round pick team, I would not be shocked if pursues the WNBA.

But her injury is a big loss to the sport this season and like everyone else I wish her complete recovery.

Last edited:
There is a 0% chance Bueckers wasn’t 100% cleared to play. Now, could she, in her zealous desire to play, have under-reported discomfort levels to her doctor in order to get the release? Only she knows the answer to that.

That said, it seems to me there would almost have to be a certain amount of discomfort and “favoring” going on for at least a year, or maybe more, after such an injury, even if the knee was physically sound. Same with ACLs. It’s kinda hard to break the mental habit of being extra conscious of the once-injured limb.

VN Store

Back