Volunteer Cavalry Flag -- Input Request

Which Flag Do You Prefer

• Draft A Solid Background

Votes: 84 65.6%
  • Draft B Checkered Background

Votes: 47 36.7%

• Total voters
Being nice as was ask for in thread. However, A DOG!! REALLY!!. I can see many people on the other side of Voldom saying "yeah, play like one too!!"

They were just ideas, I even called them drafts and labeled them as such, but I get your point, and everyone else's too. The dog idea has been "put down" so to speak.

As far as the civil war era cavalry icons go, honestly those are great for a generation 2 flag, but I am in too deep with too little time left to keep changing things now. Maybe do like the cavalry guy @PineyBluff Vo suggested but carrying the flag I'm working on now.

Thanks for all the suggestions, God knows I needed them.

Capt

I have the final two drafts for the Vol Cavalry Flag in hand now, and would like some input or feedback on them.

For those of you that haven't seen nor cared about the New Volunteer Cavalry Formation here is the original thread explaining what I am up to. New Volunteer Cavalry Formation

Anyway, here are the final drafts. Thoughts, ideas, and constructive criticism are most welcome.

Draft A--

View attachment 477143

Draft B

View attachment 477144

Thanks in advance and God Bless Josh Heupel and GBO

Capt

It should be the Davy Crockett character on horseback with Smokey walking along side him. Putting Smokey on horseback, I'm just going to be honest, looks kind of goofy.

duly noted

Oh and one other thing, the horse should be a Tennessee walking horse! (though I'm not sure if you can convey that in a still image). Maybe something like this...

As for the background, the solid orange is better. The checkerboard pattern drowns out the foreground.

da07e521fdea3dd3d1cebd8be9fe38fb.jpg

I have the final two drafts for the Vol Cavalry Flag in hand now, and would like some input or feedback on them.

For those of you that haven't seen nor cared about the New Volunteer Cavalry Formation here is the original thread explaining what I am up to. New Volunteer Cavalry Formation

Anyway, here are the final drafts. Thoughts, ideas, and constructive criticism are most welcome.

Draft A--

View attachment 477143

Draft B

View attachment 477144

Thanks in advance and God Bless Josh Heupel and GBO

Capt
A.

War of 1812 US cavalry looked more like this:

View attachment 477378
In high school, I slept thru my Tennessee history classes…I slept thru all my classes actually.
which may be why I’m a 60 year old greeter at Costco.
but I seem to remember that there was some war when Tennesseans “volunteered“ to go save those Texas arses in such great numbers that we were therefore nicknamed the Volunteer State.
maybe use a uniform from that war?
and put Smokey’s head on one of the soldiers?
and before you say that dogs can’t ride horses 🐎, I seem to remember that monkeys 🙊 used to ride dogs 🐕 in dog racing.

(please click on this link. I guarantee it will make you smile).

Last edited:
In high school, I slept thru my Tennessee history classes…I slept thru all my classes actually.
which may be why I’m a 60 year old greeter at Costco.
but I seem to remember that there was some war when Tennesseans “volunteered“ to go save those Texas arses in such great numbers that we were therefore nicknamed the Volunteer State.
maybe use a uniform from that war?
and put Smokey’s head on one of the soldiers?
and before you say that dogs can’t ride horses 🐎, I seem to remember that monkeys 🙊 used to ride dogs 🐕 in dog racing.

(please click on this link. I guarantee it will make you smile).

There were a few times it happened.

During the War of 1812, Andrew Jackson (not yet President of the US, but a powerful military and political leader in Tennessee) and the US Army asked for volunteers to go down to Louisiana to fend off a British invasion. Tennesseans responded to the call in a big way.

Then, about 25 years later, in 1836, when the newly-declared Republic of Texas was fighting for its independence from Mexico, a number of prominent Tennesseans, including Sam Houston and Davy Crockett, went down to San Antonio to a place called the Alamo. The city of Houston, 4th biggest metro area in the US, is named after one of those two fellas; the other one only got a song and a Disney TV series.

Then another decade after that came the Mexican-American War, and yet again a call went out for volunteers from all the states, and yet again Tennessee responded way out of proportion to anyone else. I think this was the instance where each state was asked for 2,000...and more than 20,000 Tennesseans showed up.

So yeah, it's a long tradition, us Volunteering to help defend folks. Heck, it's even true today; you find Tennesseans in the US Army and Marine Corps (and I guess Navy, Air Force, and Coast Guard, though I don't have personal experience with those) out of proportion to our state's size.

Go Vols!

p.s. The video did make me smile, you were right.

There were a few times it happened.

During the War of 1812, Andrew Jackson (not yet President of the US, but a powerful military and political leader in Tennessee) and the US Army asked for volunteers to go down to Louisiana to fend off a British invasion. Tennesseans responded to the call in a big way.

Then, about 25 years later, in 1836, when the newly-declared Republic of Texas was fighting for its independence from Mexico, a number of prominent Tennesseans, including Sam Houston and Davy Crockett, went down to San Antonio to a place called the Alamo. The city of Houston, 4th biggest metro area in the US, is named after one of those two fellas; the other one only got a song and a Disney TV series.

Then another decade after that came the Mexican-American War, and yet again a call went out for volunteers from all the states, and yet again Tennessee responded way out of proportion to anyone else. I think this was the instance where each state was asked for 2,000...and more than 20,000 Tennesseans showed up.

So yeah, it's a long tradition, us Volunteering to help defend folks. Heck, it's even true today; you find Tennesseans in the US Army and Marine Corps (and I guess Navy, Air Force, and Coast Guard, though I don't have personal experience with those) out of proportion to our state's size.

Go Vols!

p.s. The video did make me smile, you were right.

thank you for the Tennessee history lesson. I’m a little embarrassed that I didn’t know that.
when people who don’t follow sports ask me why my favorite team is called the Volunteers, I always just say that Davy Crockett took a bunch of Tennessee volunteers to Texas to help save those people who have never even once thanked us and that’s why I hate Texans. that plus they are snooty and think their shoo shoo doesn’t stink. Lol.

I still need to squeeze or pigeonhole a RV/Camper theme in there somewhere too don't forget.
Edit:

I didn't see the original thread that this flag is for a RV club. How about a teepee with VOLS on it?

Last edited:
I still need to squeeze or pigeonhole a RV/Camper theme in there somewhere too don't forget.
Have Smokey driving an RV. Make 1:24 metal vehicles. Top 5 RV models make a collector’s set.

I’ve got a replica NASCAR #16 car somewhere.

I don’t have a replica RV.

VN Store

Back