College Baseball - Transfer Portal Tracker

I actually used to do this with HS football teams. When I was refereeing HS football, I would go to a practice and talk through what the officials were doing and saying. I would also do a section on how to treat officials and do's and don'ts.
Have also done it with baseball. I tell my guys in lessons all the time the do's and don'ts when it comes to interactions with umpires.
Having done football, baseball, and basketball at a high level, I can guarantee you that officials talk with each other and talk during games about things that are happening. You see it in football and basketball all the time. Officials will come out after halftime and completely change how the officiate after talking to each other in the locker room. Leagues or assigning secretaries will send certain officials to certain games to make sure they clean stuff up.
I was sent to a state semi finals baseball game one night to make sure the coaches for both teams were "taken care of." I started the pre-game with I guess you guys know why I'm here tonight. You are warned. It was a completely different game. But if there had been any junk I was told to send them quickly and take nothing from them. That has always resonated with me.

I actually used to do this with HS football teams. When I was refereeing HS football, I would go to a practice and talk through what the officials were doing and saying. I would also do a section on how to treat officials and do's and don'ts.
Have also done it with baseball. I tell my guys in lessons all the time the do's and don'ts when it comes to interactions with umpires.
Having done football, baseball, and basketball at a high level, I can guarantee you that officials talk with each other and talk during games about things that are happening. You see it in football and basketball all the time. Officials will come out after halftime and completely change how the officiate after talking to each other in the locker room. Leagues or assigning secretaries will send certain officials to certain games to make sure they clean stuff up.
I was sent to a state semi finals baseball game one night to make sure the coaches for both teams were "taken care of." I started the pre-game with I guess you guys know why I'm here tonight. You are warned. It was a completely different game. But if there had been any junk I was told to send them quickly and take nothing from them. That has always resonated with me.

Thanks @preacherman20 for your insight and thoughtful information. I have read other posts from you that indicate you felt like Tennessee had extra eyes at their Super Regional.

Coach Vitello (TV) has all but said the same thing, while choosing his words carefully. TV has said in several interviews...We had been told there were some...ah...other things going on. We knew there ... might be some...ah... other folks in the stands.

With those insights into game management, TV took responsibility for not being more specific with Drew ...on controlling his emotions in the Super Regional. Perhaps the NCAA had decided to have other reps at our Super Regional. Umpires may have been under additional pressure to act quickly and decisively. We will never know. But we can learn from our mistakes.

Last edited:

Hope you all get as much of a kick out of this as I did

giphy.gif

That's some serious envy going on there!

I do think Tony is still relatively young for a head coach, and he will grow and learn. I never expect that we’ll lose that competitive fire under his tenure, but I do expect that he’ll change some of his behavior. I highly doubt we ever see Tony chest bump an umpire ever again, even if Jeff Mascia is a punk and he leaned into it.

I also think there is just a double standard with baseball that I wish would go away. Tennessee is trying to grow and evolve a sport that refuses to change. It needs this energy, but too many people confuse competitive fire and energy with classlessness. Should Beck have flipped the bird? No. I disagree with him there. But, football and basketball is filled with players chucking expletives across the field and court, trash talking, getting hyped up in big moments and “hot-dogging” when they do something cool.

You see that stuff in baseball and people throw out “concerns” about the character of the player which is just unfair, IMO. I’m one of the biggest baseball fans you’ll find, but the sport needs to let go of the past a bit and change. That is the biggest reason you see people making all of these dumbs concerns about our players. They’d rather those kids have zero fun, casually walk around the bases after a HR, etc.

My prediction….you’ll see a slightly different edition of the BaseVols this year. Tony will reel it in a bit.
Best years are ahead. Enjoy the ride!!

It appears Ethan Smith has entered the transfer portal...again. Saw a report that Gavin Brasosky was going into the portal, but his name hasn't appeared as yet.

VN Store

Back