2022 Depth Chart Speculation

I don’t see Keyton being ahead of McCoy.
Don’t see Keyton starting. Keyton should have been starting last year. Came in highly rated. Like the kid. Hope he gets some catches. McCoy should ball out unless he is lazy or doesn’t have football IQ. Don’t expect either one. Hendon got a good group of receivers. One of best in the country. 40 tds, 9 interceptions.

Overall, OL is a better situation than last year. But, there is still a big drop off to the 2’s. I think Nichols will be a good one, but it is a lot to ask of a freshman to backup the center. Davis has the build for a tackle but needs to be quicker than he was last year to compete against our better opponents. Herring is a mystery to me in terms of position and talent - anxious to see how he develops.

This has got to get addressed with coaching for now and better recruiting going forward.

OL and DL are the foundations you build upon - scheme only goes so far.

Go Vols !

Overall, OL is a better situation than last year. But, there is still a big drop off to the 2’s. I think Nichols will be a good one, but it is a lot to ask of a freshman to backup the center. Davis has the build for a tackle but needs to be quicker than he was last year to compete against our better opponents. Herring is a mystery to me in terms of position and talent - anxious to see how he develops.
We will have to see but I think the OL has more guys they can play in part because they were forced to go deeper than they wanted last year.

UT didn't get good play at LT last year. I don't know why Wright can't adjust well to the left but he seems intent on playing RT... even though it could cost him money or even an opportunity in the NFL.

Crawford and Mincey appear to be competing closely... but hard to make anything much of that. UT could have two great options or... maybe they both stink.

I had not seen the news on Kingston Harris until the other day. I hate that for him. He was meaningful depth. However, I think Spraggins plus a year and Carvin make a good starting pair. Lane is one of the guys who played when they probably didn't want to play him. Still he got time in and got better. Lampley is either undeveloped talent or another whiff by the recruiting sites. He came in as a 4* and the #16 OG in the country. Hopefully they get his potential- now in his 4th year. Nichols would have to develop really fast to be the next option. They would probably slide Carvin over which I personally hate. I think he's a great OG but a mediocre center.

Still I like the bodies and experience better on the OL. Just the year of experience helps depth. It will be interesting to see how it all shakes out.

Reactions: VAVol85
Bryson Eason seems to have worked his way into the 2-deep.
I think there were some arguments over where he would end up playing when he signed. Some thought he would stay a LB but most thought he would move to the DL. Really excited to see what he can do with his size and athleticism. He could be very, very good.

Charles can play all 3. He showed last year he could play safety.
very underrated Pruitt recruit.
Yeah. He's a strange one for sure. He was a 3* but his offer list may not have supported that. But like you said, he is a pretty talented guy who seems to be a lot more adaptable than most. Personally I hope he lands at CB but they'll probably play him in multiple spots.

I think there were some arguments over where he would end up playing when he signed. Some thought he would stay a LB but most thought he would move to the DL. Really excited to see what he can do with his size and athleticism. He could be very, very good.

Agree…eager to see if his athleticism on this DL. Big, fast and athletic..

I wouldn't have... but Keyton looks quicker and fast in those practice videos. It won't be a shock... if he shocks a lot of people.
It seems to me Keyton is annually the guy that's going to have a good year, that finally lives up to his potential and finally figures "it" out. Yet he doesn't ever seem to quite get there. Hope this season is different for him

Last edited:
I don’t see Keyton being ahead of McCoy.
Being as he’s not cleared yet and doesn’t appear to be in great shape.. he’ll be a 2nd half of season factor if he’s a factor at all. They’ll make all the new guys earn it but doesn’t sound like he’s moving up the depth chart so far

We will have to see but I think the OL has more guys they can play in part because they were forced to go deeper than they wanted last year.

UT didn't get good play at LT last year. I don't know why Wright can't adjust well to the left but he seems intent on playing RT... even though it could cost him money or even an opportunity in the NFL.

Crawford and Mincey appear to be competing closely... but hard to make anything much of that. UT could have two great options or... maybe they both stink.

I had not seen the news on Kingston Harris until the other day. I hate that for him. He was meaningful depth. However, I think Spraggins plus a year and Carvin make a good starting pair. Lane is one of the guys who played when they probably didn't want to play him. Still he got time in and got better. Lampley is either undeveloped talent or another whiff by the recruiting sites. He came in as a 4* and the #16 OG in the country. Hopefully they get his potential- now in his 4th year. Nichols would have to develop really fast to be the next option. They would probably slide Carvin over which I personally hate. I think he's a great OG but a mediocre center.

Still I like the bodies and experience better on the OL. Just the year of experience helps depth. It will be interesting to see how it all shakes out.
Great summary. I agree with all of this except that I thought Wright played pretty well at LT. I thought pressure mostly came up the middle or around RT when Cade was injured. The wiffs by RBs in pass protection did not help either.

Great summary. I agree with all of this except that I thought Wright played pretty well at LT. I thought pressure mostly came up the middle or around RT when Cade was injured. The wiffs by RBs in pass protection did not help either.
I'm not condemning him but there were times when he just flat out got whipped.

There were problems all around. Spraggins who I have always liked got beat too often. IMO, Carvin was much worse as a C. But I think we maybe expected more of Wright. They keep talking about his comfort on the right side. I'll be honest and say I don't know if that means his footwork feels more natural or he's better against SDE's/DT's than rush Ends or some combination of things.

I took a shot at a depth chart today based on practice reports and prior year observations. Please give corrections/modifications. I plan to update this as we approach kickoff. The defensive secondary is complete spitballing at this point.

View attachment 477250

View attachment 477251
Where’s nimrod, the way they talk at practice he will see the field this year.

Where’s nimrod, the way they talk at practice he will see the field this year.

I had to pick Webb or Nimrod for the last WR spot. Picked Webb based on practice reports. WR is very fluid other than Tillman. McCoy probably starts at some point this year but I can't consider listing him as a starter until he's at least eligible.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Where would we speculate Dixon lands on the depth chart? I would assume ahead of the freshmen for now, but could he end up #1 or #2?

Where would we speculate Dixon lands on the depth chart? I would assume ahead of the freshmen for now, but could he end up #1 or #2?
It depends.
I would say you are correct.

The staff will still make him work it just like everyone else. See Bru McCoy right now.

And they're banking on their talent and experience to eventually rise to the top.

It would be nice to have Small and Dixon both have 1,000 yards total offense while Jaylen Wright has another year to get stronger and come along at his own pace.
Still use him in packages. Let Dixon also return KOs with Sampson .

Reactions: 37620VOL
Thing is, we may still need all 5 of our scholarship RBs this year. Small, Wright, and Dixon all have a history of getting dinged up.

Thing is, we may still need all 5 of our scholarship RBs this year. Small, Wright, and Dixon all have a history of getting dinged up.
Most schools use up to 5 backs these days.
Not evenly distributed obviously, but 5 RBs will have gotten carries during the season.

We had
Small 700
Evans 600
Wright 450
Whitehead 200
Walk-on 100
Beckwith 2 carries lol

UGA also had that many touches the ball and even started had Cook start. WR for a few games.

Florida etc...

Reactions: 37620VOL
Being as he’s not cleared yet and doesn’t appear to be in great shape.. he’ll be a 2nd half of season factor if he’s a factor at all. They’ll make all the new guys earn it but doesn’t sound like he’s moving up the depth chart so far

We’ll see. Huepel seems confident McCoy will be cleared. If he is then he’ll be more productive than Keyton.

Reactions: 67Vol
Watching the SEC network at the gym and just saw they had UT’s odds of winning the East at 1%.

I know it’s a long shot…but 1% and behind Kentucky too.

VN Store

Back