‘23 AL CB Rickey Gibson (Tennessee commit)

I like the kids name. It's a good football name. His measurables are 5 star.
But His junior film doesn't show me 5 star or even 4 star. Very interested to see how he looks as a SR. He and Conyers.

There are many other players out there still that that can play CB. I'm wondering why it seems like the staff is recruiting from such a small pool of players at that position.

So to be clear, you were wrong?
I quoted information that was not complete. I posted "incorrect" information... that was NFL.com's information. I trusted what they said- so I am wrong in that respect.

Not sure what you're trying to do... but I'm one of the few guys here that has admitted being wrong. Most either deny it, disappear, or change screen names. I've been on this board for 16+ years with the same screenname. I'm not running from my mistakes... but I'm not inclined to play whatever game it is you're trying to play either.

Since Kirby seems to look at who this staff is offering, then swoops in late to get them, maybe this staff should do the same to lower tier schools. Yes, it would upset the “we have to have blue chip recruits to win” crowd, but if we identify the right guys at CB, we can get some outstanding ones without having to fight Georgia and Bama.

The following CBs were just drafted in the first 6 rounds of April’s draft:

Ahmad Gardner-Cincinnati
Marcus Jones-Troy/Houston
Coby Bryant-Cincinnati
Joshua Williams-Fayetteville State
Damarion Williams-Houston
Decobie Durant-SC State
Tariq Woolen-UTSA
Zyon McCollum, Sam Houston State
DaRon Bland, Fresno State
Samuel Womack, Toledo
Christian Benford, Villanova
Gregory Junior, Ouachita Baptist
Ja’Sir Taylor, Wake Forest

All of these guys were 3 star recruits or lower. Some weren’t even rated. The key is identifying them. Willie Martinez did it before with Emmanuel Mosely. If Tennessee were to go head to head with any of these schools, it’s a no-brainer that the kid picks UT.

It looks like Luke Fickell is doing a good job identifying CB talent (a 1st round pick and a 4th round pick). Maybe see who he’s targeting. Or look at the kids Houston is targeting. Go steal their recruits. They’re out there. Just gotta find them.

Of course, this assumes UT misses on Gibson and Matthews, but it’s tending that way.

Here’s the current Cincinnati class: Cincinnati 2023 Football Commits

4 CBs committed. One is a 4*, but doesn’t have the offers to compete with UT. Why not kick the tires there, given Fickell’s ability to evaluate?
Emmanuel Moseley was an above average CB in college that went undrafted IIRC and improved more in one year in the NFL than his entire time at Tennessee. It wasn’t like Martinez coached him into an All SEC CB. He was picked up in free agency because of his speed and potential. Not because of how he played in college

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain
I like the kids name. It's a good football name. His measurables are 5 star.
But His junior film doesn't show me 5 star or even 4 star. Very interested to see how he looks as a SR. He and Conyers.

There are many other players out there still that that can play CB. I'm wondering why it seems like the staff is recruiting from such a small pool of players at that position.
That last sentence hits it right on the head. It makes no sense at all, and should be questioned

Emmanuel Moseley was an above average CB in college that went undrafted IIRC and improved more in one year in the NFL than his entire time at Tennessee. It wasn’t like Martinez coached him into an All SEC CB. He was picked up in free agency because of his speed and potential. Not because of how he played in college

He was a 3 year starter and a good college CB. Moseley was 140 lbs when UT signed him and had trouble gaining weight his first 2 years, which slowed down his development (I’m guessing Butch’s S&C program didn’t help much).

Martinez identified him as a 2* high school QB and projected his skill set as a good CB even though he hadn’t played the position and was light as a feather. Once he gained enough weight and learned the position, he developed into an NFL starter.

Whether WM developed him or the 49ers did (both did, to a degree, if we’re honest) isn’t my point. It’s that he was identified as having the projectable traits to grow into a high level CB. Those guys are out there every year for coaches who can spot them.

I've continued to talk with some sources over the past couple days coming off CB Rickey Gibson's visit to Georgia over the weekend, and despite the offer he received from Auburn today, I think Georgia and Tennessee are still the two main contenders for him.

As of right now, I think the momentum has shifted to the Bulldogs coming off his trip to Georgia. I do think he's likely to make a decision in the not-too-distant future, regardless of whether it happens this week, and right now I would say Georgia is at least the slight favorite to land him.
callahan

Cool. More of the same garbage.

See you in the portal in a few years.

I for the life of me cannot understand why parents eat this **** sales pitch up. I get why the kids do. Recent national champs with an NFL pipeline.

But you were a backup this entire time. In the coaches minds you’re not as good as who they wanted and you’re not as good as who they’re already targeting for next year. Plus it’s a loaded position already, so you’ve got to break into the rotation whilst also already being recruited over.

It’s insane.

I for the life of me cannot understand why parents eat this **** sales pitch up. I get why the kids do. Recent national champs with an NFL pipeline.

But you were a backup this entire time. In the coaches minds you’re not as good as who they wanted and you’re not as good as who they’re already targeting for next year. Plus it’s a loaded position already, so you’ve got to break into the rotation whilst also already being recruited over.

It’s insane.

He won’t play and will be in the transfer portal years from now.

Wouldn’t sweat it.

He won’t play and will be in the transfer portal years from now.

Wouldn’t sweat it.
Why do people say this??? We talk about competing w/ Georgia but tell kids WE want, if they go to school X, they will be in the portal. If they can’t play at Georgia why do we want them here???

I believe he only coached him for his 1st 2 seasons at UT. Those were his best seasons. Same for Cam Sutton, The individual DB play took a noticeable dive after WM left.

Reactions: barrylee
Bump, tired to warn y’all.
workaholics-thts-fine-i-get-that.gif

Why do people say this??? We talk about competing w/ Georgia but tell kids WE want, if they go to school X, they will be in the portal. If they can’t play at Georgia why do we want them here???

He might play. The odds are against him, though. For a variety of reasons, there are preconceived biases stacked against him before he even gets on campus. The UGA coaches literally wanted someone else. He will have to overcome that and probably be patient in a time when its easy to transfer.

That's why.

Reactions: titansvolsfaninga
He was a 3 year starter and a good college CB. Moseley was 140 lbs when UT signed him and had trouble gaining weight his first 2 years, which slowed down his development (I’m guessing Butch’s S&C program didn’t help much).

Martinez identified him as a 2* high school QB and projected his skill set as a good CB even though he hadn’t played the position and was light as a feather. Once he gained enough weight and learned the position, he developed into an NFL starter.

Whether WM developed him or the 49ers did (both did, to a degree, if we’re honest) isn’t my point. It’s that he was identified as having the projectable traits to grow into a high level CB. Those guys are out there every year for coaches who can spot them.
Lawson was heading the S&C when Moseley arrived and he was up to 170 by his first season. It (weight) ended up never being an issue with him. He lost track of the ball in the air way too many times for VN’s concern. Point is, Martinez made a NFL product out of him.

VN Store

Back