Recruiting Forum Football Talk IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sometimes I wonder why we don't follow Saban's example and hire a bunch of "analysts" and then let them illegally help coach our players?

Seriously NCAA, have you ever considered looking into that??

Reactions: volinexile17
Haha. Delved into the dark side, that is the FF, and found this. Is from an article from Athlon sports on the 1st.

Some pretty salty comments.

Tennessee

"This seems like the team that everyone's in love with, at least after one season. Any time Tennessee does well, even if it's clearly because of a one-off situation, there's an immediate pressure to ramp back up to the Phillip Fulmer national title days."

"They're pretty easy to break down because that offense is pretty easy to break down: You're a six-win team if your quarterback is decent, and you've got a two- or three-game ceiling if he can make plays. Having [Joe] Milton as the backup is a big luxury; you don't want to be rotating them at all, but if you have an injury, you've got a guy with game reps in the system, which is rare in the portal era."

"Overall, the defense is average at best for that division, but that's a luxury Josh Heupel's system offers because it can hide them a little bit."

"They're missing a really dynamic playmaker right now. Finding that at receiver with one of the signees could be huge for them."

"When this staff came in, there was a pretty strong criticism of the simplicity they used at UCF. They did a good job adjusting in some games, but it will be interesting to watch how they advance and wrinkle their stuff as defenses get more and more tape on them."

"Give them credit — they've got an identity for the first time in years, and the scheme has kept them in games against teams with way more talent, especially at places where it matters most in this league, like the line of scrimmage."

Haha. Delved into the dark side, that is the FF, and found this. Is from an article from Athlon sports on the 1st.

Some pretty salty comments.

Tennessee

"This seems like the team that everyone's in love with, at least after one season. Any time Tennessee does well, even if it's clearly because of a one-off situation, there's an immediate pressure to ramp back up to the Phillip Fulmer national title days."

"They're pretty easy to break down because that offense is pretty easy to break down: You're a six-win team if your quarterback is decent, and you've got a two- or three-game ceiling if he can make plays. Having [Joe] Milton as the backup is a big luxury; you don't want to be rotating them at all, but if you have an injury, you've got a guy with game reps in the system, which is rare in the portal era."

"Overall, the defense is average at best for that division, but that's a luxury Josh Heupel's system offers because it can hide them a little bit."

"They're missing a really dynamic playmaker right now. Finding that at receiver with one of the signees could be huge for them."

"When this staff came in, there was a pretty strong criticism of the simplicity they used at UCF. They did a good job adjusting in some games, but it will be interesting to watch how they advance and wrinkle their stuff as defenses get more and more tape on them."

"Give them credit — they've got an identity for the first time in years, and the scheme has kept them in games against teams with way more talent, especially at places where it matters most in this league, like the line of scrimmage."
These people act like our offense just popped into existence out of nowhere. There is plenty of previous film on Heupel's offense. Just because the jersey color is different doesn't mean the offense is brand new.

On top of that, our playbook was probably around 50%. If they think that "now we have film and know what to do", they are wrong.

We're gonna embarrass some fools this year.

You keep saying all these cell phone types and I have to keep googling them. It is an I-phone 12 or something. Honestly, we had a much better camera at home but didn't want to take it on the trip. I wanted the majority of the trip to just be embedded into my memory. SO many people there were too worried about getting the right shot instead of just enjoying the beauty.
I've never understood how trying to get a great shot somehow means you are not able to really immerse in a place...it helps me.

Reactions: Orange Maniac
Lol I don't know what your arguement is but all I see from these stats are that 61% of five stars get drafted, 21% of 4 Stars get drafted, 6.4% of 3 stars get drafted and 4.2% of 2 stars get drafted. That would tell me that five and four star players have a higher likelihood of being good draftable players. That 4 stars are almost 3 times more likely to get drafted than 3 stars.

Looking at volume doesn't make any sense because even if all of the 101 five stars were draft, it would only be 13% of the total of 776 draft slots available.

No the POINT is that 450+ 2 and 3 stars PASSED about 1000 of the "BLUE CHIP" 4 stars. Only 264 of those guys got drafted for about a 20% . hit rate. There could have been about 500 left over 4 stars and not a single 2 or 3 star drafted over this 3 year period. So the four star group is loaded with over valued guys But with a big portion of the real deal guys, but a much bigger portion of the real deal guys are scattered among the lowly masses. So the bottom line is you don't guarantee you are getting the best players because they have been awarded 4 stars and you have to see the body of work of every 2 and 3 star. You get good players because they are good players regardless of their star ratings. Bama and GA and the other power brokers are fishing in the real deal subset of the 4 star group. When you do hit on a 4 star winner he probably produces early. Consistently sign real deal 4 stars with some cusp guys mixed in and the yield will bring you success. We have seen up close and personal that you can get ranked classes with a bunch of 4 stars that did not pay off and wanted to exclusively blame coaching and development when in reality they may just have been in some strata of the 80% from the get go. Good players, but not game changers. Late bloomers, guys behind older talented players until their SR year, guys with less than stellar coaching, and others did not get the recognition or earn those extra stars but given a shot they excel and pass the majority of the 4 stars. Sign a bunch of those and life gets better, add them to a bunch or real deal 4's and an occasional 5 star and you can get in the mix.

So inherently bad mouthing 3 stars on signing day is a worthless exercise. They may or may not be better than a lot of 4 stars. Only the shadow knows. The rest of us must wait for the multiyear reveal. Of course we also have to see which stata of 4 stars our guys EACH came from.

There have been a couple of mated pairs nesting somewhere around the marina for a few years at the Knox/Blount line on Old Knox/Old Maryville. How far are you from there? I live exactly one mile into Blount County from there in Rockford and they fly over our place all the time. Makes the wife real nervous since her 10 lb love bug dog has the run of our fenced in back yard and looks a lot like some of their food sources from height I bet. Pretty sure one pair of Bald and one pair of Golden. Lots of hawks work this area that has the big end of the Little River coming out of the mountains before it runs into the Tennessee off Alcoa Highway.

A couple of years ago what I believe was a large owl made a pass at our 10 wk old Australian shepherd pup in the back yard, in 6 AM twilight. I saw it happen but was too far away to do anything, but our fearless 80 lb American lab was on patrol and sent the big bird on his way before he got to his target.

No the POINT is that 450+ 2 and 3 stars PASSED about 1000 of the "BLUE CHIP" 4 stars. Only 264 of those guys got drafted for about a 20% . hit rate. There could have been about 500 left over 4 stars and not a single 2 or 3 star drafted over this 3 year period. So the four star group is loaded with over valued guys But with a big portion of the real deal guys, but a much bigger portion of the real deal guys are scattered among the lowly masses. So the bottom line is you don't guarantee you are getting the best players because they have been awarded 4 stars and you have to see the body of work of every 2 and 3 star. You get good players because they are good players regardless of their star ratings. Bama and GA and the other power brokers are fishing in the real deal subset of the 4 star group. When you do hit on a 4 star winner he probably produces early. Consistently sign real deal 4 stars with some cusp guys mixed in and the yield will bring you success. We have seen up close and personal that you can get ranked classes with a bunch of 4 stars that did not pay off and wanted to exclusively blame coaching and development when in reality they may just have been in some strata of the 80% from the get go. Good players, but not game changers. Late bloomers, guys behind older talented players until their SR year, guys with less than stellar coaching, and others did not get the recognition or earn those extra stars but given a shot they excel and pass the majority of the 4 stars. Sign a bunch of those and life gets better, add them to a bunch or real deal 4's and an occasional 5 star and you can get in the mix.

So inherently bad mouthing 3 stars on signing day is a worthless exercise. They may or may not be better than a lot of 4 stars. Only the shadow knows. The rest of us must wait for the multiyear reveal. Of course we also have to see which stata of 4 stars our guys EACH came from.
Yeah sorry I'm not trying to be argumentative but I really don't see your arguement. And I'm not sayings that 3 stars are bad or anything, I'm just saying you can’t build a championship team with them, which should be our goal.

If that data is accurate then statistically there's a higher percent that you get a draft worthy player when you have a team full of five stars and four stars. So if my percentages are accurate if you recruited 20 players that are four stars, 21% of them are going to be draft worthy players. If you recruit 20 3 stars, only 6.4% of them end up being draft worthy.

And it makes sense, there's a reason 247 talked about national champions being comprised of a certain percentage of what they call blue chip players. You actually want to be going after the same players that the best teams are going for.

And I get that you want to feel better about 3 stars, but the reality is that for us to compete for championships, we gotta recruit the top tier players.

But if you want to go just by volume, how about all of the best Tennessee players in the past few years:
-Jauan Jennings - 4 star (nfl)
-Derek Barnet - 4 star (nfl)
-Trey Smith - 5 Star (nfl)

-Hendon Hooker - 4 star
-AJ Johnson - 4 Stars (nfl undrafted)
-Jaylen Reeves Maybin - 4 star (nfl)
-Justin Hunter - 4 star (nfl)

-Curt Maggit - 4 star
-Marquez Callaway - 4 star (nfl undrafted)
-Josh Dobbs - 4 star (nfl)
-Raijon Neal - 4 star (nfl undrafted)

-Marques North - 4 star
-Robert Meachem- 5 star (nfl)
-Tiny Richardson - 4 star
-Cordarelle Patterson - JuCo 4 Star (nfl)
-Tyler Bray - 4 Star (nfl)
-Eric Berry - 5 Star (nfl)
-Erik Ainge - 4 Star (nfl)
-Montario Hardesty - 4 Star (nfl)
-Alvin Karmara - 4 Star (nfl)
-Juwan James - 5 Star? (nfl)

Hell even the ones we don't wanna talk about were 4+ stars
-Jalen Hurd - 5 stars (nfl)
-Henry To'o To'o - 4 stars
-Eric Gray - 4 stars
-Da'Rick Rogers - 5 stars (say what you want about him but he made an NFL team undrafted, albiet a VERY short stint)

I mean the only good players I can think of that were 3 stars and below were (and I know I'm missing some so sorry):
-Emanual Mosley - 2 stars
-Cedric Tillman - 2 stars
-Cam Sutton - 3 stars
-Arian Foster - I'm pretty sure he wasn't even ranked?

-Nick Reviez - 0 stars (we think he was good right?)
-John Kelly Jr - 3 stars (nfl)

Have we missed on 4 and 5 stars, sure but that just tells me that we need to get more 4 and 5 stars to balance out the once who do bust because if 21% of 4 stars are indeed draft worthy, then that means that 79% are not. And if 4.2% of 3 stars get draft, that means that 95.8% do not.

Sorry, I'm trying to be open minded here considering most of our players are 3 stars, but the data just does not support that we, or anyone for that matter, can build a top tier team with mostly 3 stars and below. But whatever we gotta tells ourselves to feel better I guess haha.

Last edited:

I couldn’t imagine turning down calls from scouts during the draft to take a marketing job. He’s lucky as hell Tennessee gave him a second run. And I don’t mean that as if Tennessee should’ve told him to kick rocks.. I just remember my uncle telling me stories about basically doing the same thing for different reasons. He transferred from Spartanburg Methodist College, a JUCO powerhouse at the time and played a season at Tennessee sometime in the mid 80s. He had a year of eligibility left, and had scouts from the Mets and Reds interested. He gave it all up because he had a girlfriend back home, and he was homesick. I don’t think he had any regrets in life besides that single decision as a 21 year old.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back