Tennessee Vols Basketball Recruiting

Barnes isn’t perfect especially in tourney time but he is perfect for TN basketball. You can make your upgrades in the next hire when he retires as he will have created a sustainable brand easy to sell to a big time coach. I’m also a firm believer in those who consistently do things the right way will eventually reach their ultimate goal. Barnes winning SEC tournament was a good sign of some things turning in terms of his coaching in tourney setting. We just got screwed matched with a preseason top 5 team as our 11 seed opponent. I think Barnes gets a national title before he retires just my opinion.
Lol at that last line.

Barnes isn’t perfect especially in tourney time but he is perfect for TN basketball. You can make your upgrades in the next hire when he retires as he will have created a sustainable brand easy to sell to a big time coach. I’m also a firm believer in those who consistently do things the right way will eventually reach their ultimate goal. Barnes winning SEC tournament was a good sign of some things turning in terms of his coaching in tourney setting. We just got screwed matched with a preseason top 5 team as our 11 seed opponent. I think Barnes gets a national title before he retires just my opinion.
Not weighing in on the Barnes thing for the nth time but I will say I don’t think we should complain about running into Michigan. They didn’t really even have the resume of a tourney team, and it looks real pathetic when we complain about facing a double digit seed in the second round. We should’ve won that game whether it was UM or Colorado State, and it wasn’t luck that made it so we didn’t, full stop

Not weighing in on the Barnes thing for the nth time but I will say I don’t think we should complain about running into Michigan. They didn’t really even have the resume of a tourney team, and it looks real pathetic when we complain about facing a double digit seed in the second round. We should’ve won that game whether it was UM or Colorado State, and it wasn’t luck that made it so we didn’t, full stop
I think Michigan was a particularly bad matchup for us considering how that game was refereed (Dickerson getting deserved star player treatment like Pippen Jr), but I don’t know if anyone else agrees

From Basilio's blog this morning on Hoops recruiting:

The Vols have failed to close on anybody for whatever reason. We're getting into a critical period where Tennessee needs to hear some good news soon (which I think they will ... more below). Tennessee has used 21 of 30 official visits for the 2022 class thus far.

Cade Phillips out of Alabama is Tennessee's lone commitment thus far. This isn't how this was supposed to go to this point.

Who Joins Phillips In Tennessee's Class?

Tennessee is in excellent shape with Silas Demary from Charlotte. The hope is that Demary will reclassify once he commits. The 6-4 combo guard a four star player and top 120 player nationally, visited Knoxville last week along with Coen Carr a 6-7 forward from Greenville SC. Justin Gainey is recruiting both of these guys for Tennessee.

Demary is thought to be a guy that could play some quality point guard at this level. The belief internally is that he's going to fall Tennessee's way soon.

As far as Carr, at top 60 players goes, your guess is as good as mine. Tennessee feels like he had a solid visit here but where other potential suitors are with him is a bit of a mystery. He's a take for Tennessee for sure as the 6-7 Carr is an athlete supreme. He can jump out of the gym.

http://karnsmotor.com/
Others To Prospects To Watch With Tennessee:

Freddie Dilione, point guard Raleigh NC. At one time there were whispers he was a reclass candidate but Dilione had a terrific summer. It would be a major upset if this happened anywhere. The smart money now is in Dilione seeing through several visits. Alabama and Louisville are involved.

JP Estrella Center Portland, Maine. A 4 star talent that was Crystal balled to Duke until that one took a swerve. He would easily be the most offensively ready big man Tennessee has signed in the Barnes era. Duke fell by the wayside when the parents dared John Scheyer to take another big man and Duke took them up on the offer. Bad blood. It's all silly when feelings get hurt but somebody is going to get this guy and thank the heavens above. Syracuse and Iowa are involved as well. Estrella has been to Tennessee twice. He visited Iowa over the weekend. Estrella will be visiting Syracuse in the next few weeks. Tennessee isn't getting a ton of buzz about possibly landing Estrella but they feel pretty good about him as you read this on Tennessee's staff.
https://facebook.com/AdventKnoxville
No Silver Medals In Recruiting:

Whispers internally are that Rod Clark is the king of silver medals thus far. Last year Clark missed out on Cason Wallace (Kentucky) who is a player Clark TRAINED in middle school. I chalked that one up Tennessee not being ready NIL wise. So that was some bad luck for this recruiting ace.
Clark (and by proxy Tennessee) also finished second for top 50 point guard Aden Holloway last night who chose Auburn ...
Clark finished 2nd for Justin Edwards with Kentucky. Tennessee was in there before Kentucky ... Rick Barnes was heavily involved as well. As we documented here Tennessee threw the entire kitchen sink at him.
Both Wallace and Edwards were thought to be Tennessee's at one point before Kentucky swooped in. This is a tough reality ...
https://collinsinsurancetn.com/
Tennessee hasn't gone head to head with a blue blood and won straight up since beating Kentucky and Duke for Kennedy Chandler. It should be pointed out that Chandler was the only point guard on the board at the time for both blue bloods. In case you're wondering, Chandler was recruited to Tennessee by Kim English who did a masterful job in that one.

Meanwhile Justin Gainey has done a solid job on the recruiting trail. Gainey has found a real sweet spot in the Carolina's with guys that are just a tick off from prospects Duke and UNC would heavily recruit. It's worked well for Tennessee thus far ... It's too early to say what Gregg Polinsky brings on the recruiting trail.

By The Numbers:

Tennessee is at a spot where they need to fill at least 5 spots with probably 4 of them filling in the fall. You do the math on the guys out of eligibility plus I'm factoring in at least one or more guys that will enter the portal.

August 29th
The last day to drop or add a class which is the absolute latest a new player could join the roster. This is just around the time Tennessee found Zeigler last year. If the spot goes unused it seems Tennessee could try and add someone from the portal.

From Basilio's blog this morning on Hoops recruiting:

The Vols have failed to close on anybody for whatever reason. We're getting into a critical period where Tennessee needs to hear some good news soon (which I think they will ... more below). Tennessee has used 21 of 30 official visits for the 2022 class thus far.

Cade Phillips out of Alabama is Tennessee's lone commitment thus far. This isn't how this was supposed to go to this point.

Who Joins Phillips In Tennessee's Class?

Tennessee is in excellent shape with Silas Demary from Charlotte. The hope is that Demary will reclassify once he commits. The 6-4 combo guard a four star player and top 120 player nationally, visited Knoxville last week along with Coen Carr a 6-7 forward from Greenville SC. Justin Gainey is recruiting both of these guys for Tennessee.

Demary is thought to be a guy that could play some quality point guard at this level. The belief internally is that he's going to fall Tennessee's way soon.

As far as Carr, at top 60 players goes, your guess is as good as mine. Tennessee feels like he had a solid visit here but where other potential suitors are with him is a bit of a mystery. He's a take for Tennessee for sure as the 6-7 Carr is an athlete supreme. He can jump out of the gym.

Others To Prospects To Watch With Tennessee:

Freddie Dilione, point guard Raleigh NC. At one time there were whispers he was a reclass candidate but Dilione had a terrific summer. It would be a major upset if this happened anywhere. The smart money now is in Dilione seeing through several visits. Alabama and Louisville are involved.

JP Estrella Center Portland, Maine. A 4 star talent that was Crystal balled to Duke until that one took a swerve. He would easily be the most offensively ready big man Tennessee has signed in the Barnes era. Duke fell by the wayside when the parents dared John Scheyer to take another big man and Duke took them up on the offer. Bad blood. It's all silly when feelings get hurt but somebody is going to get this guy and thank the heavens above. Syracuse and Iowa are involved as well. Estrella has been to Tennessee twice. He visited Iowa over the weekend. Estrella will be visiting Syracuse in the next few weeks. Tennessee isn't getting a ton of buzz about possibly landing Estrella but they feel pretty good about him as you read this on Tennessee's staff.
No Silver Medals In Recruiting:

Whispers internally are that Rod Clark is the king of silver medals thus far. Last year Clark missed out on Cason Wallace (Kentucky) who is a player Clark TRAINED in middle school. I chalked that one up Tennessee not being ready NIL wise. So that was some bad luck for this recruiting ace.
Clark (and by proxy Tennessee) also finished second for top 50 point guard Aden Holloway last night who chose Auburn ...
Clark finished 2nd for Justin Edwards with Kentucky. Tennessee was in there before Kentucky ... Rick Barnes was heavily involved as well. As we documented here Tennessee threw the entire kitchen sink at him.
Both Wallace and Edwards were thought to be Tennessee's at one point before Kentucky swooped in. This is a tough reality ...
Tennessee hasn't gone head to head with a blue blood and won straight up since beating Kentucky and Duke for Kennedy Chandler. It should be pointed out that Chandler was the only point guard on the board at the time for both blue bloods. In case you're wondering, Chandler was recruited to Tennessee by Kim English who did a masterful job in that one.

Meanwhile Justin Gainey has done a solid job on the recruiting trail. Gainey has found a real sweet spot in the Carolina's with guys that are just a tick off from prospects Duke and UNC would heavily recruit. It's worked well for Tennessee thus far ... It's too early to say what Gregg Polinsky brings on the recruiting trail.
By The Numbers:

Tennessee is at a spot where they need to fill at least 5 spots with probably 4 of them filling in the fall. You do the math on the guys out of eligibility plus I'm factoring in at least one or more guys that will enter the portal.

August 29th
The last day to drop or add a class which is the absolute latest a new player could join the roster. This is just around the time Tennessee found Zeigler last year. If the spot goes unused it seems Tennessee could try and add someone from the portal.
Then maybe Rod Clark needs to be shown the door. That many high profile misses isn't acceptable.

Interesting. So, it seems like Demary has become a reclass candidate, now, in place of Dilione. I guess that will be one to watch over the next month.

The thoughts on Rod Clark are similar to my criticisms over the past year. I don't guess I solely attributed those efforts to him, entirely, but more of a joint staff failure to nail down their primary, and even secondary targets. It has started to play out that way, again, with Edwards and Holloway opting for not only other schools, but some of our biggest conference rivals, which doubly stings. Others, like Caleb Foster, Kanaan Carlyle, Kaleb Glenn, and George Washington III, didn't go our way, either.

Reactions: berryvol
Interesting. So, it seems like Demary has become a reclass candidate, now, in place of Dilione. I guess that will be one to watch over the next month.

The thoughts on Rod Clark are similar to my criticisms over the past year. I don't guess I solely attributed those efforts to him, entirely, but more of a joint staff failure to nail down their primary, and even secondary targets. It has started to play out that way, again, with Edwards and Holloway opting for not only other schools, but some of our biggest conference rivals, which doubly stings. Others, like Caleb Foster, Kanaan Carlyle, Kaleb Glenn, and George Washington III, didn't go our way, either.

Demary doesn't strike me as a guy who's ready to make an impact as a reclass. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Reactions: cardvolfan
I agree. The guy was an assistant in high school. If he isn't going to be an ace recruiter, he probably doesn't have much to offer at this level.
He was an assistant at UIC and Austin Peay in between his stint as an assistant at Sunrise Christian Academy and Tennessee, but your point remains. If he isn't closing the deal on these high-profile kids as the staff ace, then is the rest of what he brings to the table as a member of the staff warrant his inclusion, or should we be looking elsewhere? When is the last time Barnes relieved a staff member of their duties? It hasn't happened at Tennessee, which speaks highly of the guys he has had. No one is going to bat 1.000, though.

I agree. The guy was an assistant in high school. If he isn't going to be an ace recruiter, he probably doesn't have much to offer at this level.
We didn’t hire him as a high school assistant, many coaches get their start at the HS level, that’s hardly uncommon. As I’ve said for months I will wait and see how the class pans out (not saying the board isn’t thinning), but criticizing Clark for identifying 2 Top 10 guys early in the process and having us in great shape only to miss out when Kentucky comes calling at the last minute hardly seems like a fair reason to criticize. Maybe he shouldn’t target those guys and should just stick in the 40-100 range where his hit rate would probably be much higher 🤷🏻‍♂️

Demary doesn't strike me as a guy who's ready to make an impact as a reclass. Hopefully I'm wrong.
Yeah, I don't think the thought, or hope, is that he comes in and saves the day as your starting PG. I think the hope is that he can come in and help provide you with 5-7 minutes of relief for ZZ.

I don’t think anyone knows for sure, who thought Zeigler would be ready? Demary has had a great summer and is tracking as a Top 40-50 prospect, I don’t think it’s totally out of the question. Best case is he can contribute something at PG this year, worst case is you land a 2023 roster addition and he gets a year to learn and develop.

He was an assistant at UIC and Austin Peay in between his stint as an assistant at Sunrise Christian Academy and Tennessee, but your point remains. If he isn't closing the deal on these high-profile kids as the staff ace, then is the rest of what he brings to the table as a member of the staff warrant his inclusion, or should we be looking elsewhere? When is the last time Barnes relieved a staff member of their duties? It hasn't happened at Tennessee, which speaks highly of the guys he has had. No one is going to bat 1.000, though.

I stand corrected. I forgot that he was an assistant at those programs prior. Really just feels he was brought in because of his relationship with Chandler. That is an interesting point that Barnes hasn't fired any of his assistants at Tennessee to this point. It's just hard not to think there is a better fit out there.

I don’t think anyone knows for sure, who thought Zeigler would be ready? Demary has had a great summer and is tracking as a Top 40-50 prospect, I don’t think it’s totally out of the question. Best case is he can contribute something at PG this year, worst case is you land a 2023 roster addition and he gets a year to learn and develop.

That would certainly be ideal. Have you heard the reclass talks in regard to him?

We didn’t hire him as a high school assistant, many coaches get their start at the HS level, that’s hardly uncommon. As I’ve said for months I will wait and see how the class pans out (not saying the board isn’t thinning), but criticizing Clark for identifying 2 Top 10 guys early in the process and having us in great shape only to miss out when Kentucky comes calling at the last minute hardly seems like a fair reason to criticize. Maybe he shouldn’t target those guys and should just stick in the 40-100 range where his hit rate would probably be much higher 🤷🏻‍♂️
That's a point I started to mention. Basilio seems to be heaping praise on Gainey and criticizing Clark, while also admitting that Gainey has settled in an area where it's a bit easier to hit on. Clark is swimming with the sharks, which makes his hits more visible, but also highlights his misses, as well. Not entirely fair to hold those guys to the same standard when they fish in different ponds, but perhaps fair to question if Clark is spending his time wisely fishing in the pond he's in.

I stand corrected. I forgot that he was an assistant at those programs prior. Really just feels he was brought in because of his relationship with Chandler. That is an interesting point that Barnes hasn't fired any of his assistants at Tennessee to this point. It's just hard not to think there is a better fit out there.
Chandler was signed before we ever even considered hiring Clark

Reactions: berryvol

VN Store

Back