‘23 GA DL Tavion Gadson

Part of me wonders if Garner being such an old school coach has something to do with why we don't have guys lined up out the door to play for him despite his reputation. Price and Hubbs were already joking today about how our new guys got their first real taste of him today at practice. It's no secret that this new generation of players is becoming soft and more sensitive to criticism. I'm not in the Rodney Garner can't recruit or develop camp by any means cause that is laughable, but it is something that's crossed my mind.

I know Rick Barnes is very similar and is why we recruit from such a limited pool of blue chip guys for basketball.

Part of me wonders if Garner being such an old school coach has something to do with why we don't have guys lined up out the door to play for him despite his reputation. Price and Hubbs were already joking today about how our new guys got their first real taste of him today at practice. It's no secret that this new generation of players is becoming soft and more sensitive to criticism. I'm not in the Rodney Garner can't recruit or develop camp by any means cause that is laughable, but it is something that's crossed my mind.

I know Rick Barnes is very similar and is why we recruit from such a limited pool of blue chip guys for basketball.

If that’s the case then blame the new generation of kids.

Criticism is part of sports and only drives you to get better.

Garner shouldn’t have to change his approach nor baby these kids to death.

If that’s the case then blame the new generation of kids.

Criticism is part of sports and only drives you to get better.

Garner shouldn’t have to change his approach nor baby these kids to death.

Agree 1000%. I'd much rather him get guys who might be slightly lower rated but will buy into his coaching style than a bunch of lazy blue chip guys who don't.

A9FBE354-A4A4-4301-B923-8FA6C68370EB.gif

And here is the follow-up to recruiting from a more limited pool (with Garner and Barnes); is the long-term big picture better because of that? Obviously it puts more pressure to get the talented players that fit that profile in the boat. Misses are amplified. But if you do get enough does that recruiting profile off-set the physical talent gap we missed out on by shying away from players that don't fit the profile (aka: can't take being coached)?

And here is the follow-up to recruiting from a more limited pool (with Garner and Barnes); is the long-term big picture better because of that? Obviously it puts more pressure to get the talented players that fit that profile in the boat. Misses are amplified. But if you do get enough does that recruiting profile off-set the physical talent gap we missed out on by shying away from players that don't fit the profile (aka: can't take being coached)?

I'd say yes especially when it comes to d-line recruiting. It's arguably the position where you have the most concerns as far as motor, work ethic, etc. I'll take a roster of Matthew Butler's over Khalil Mckenzie's all day long.

"This new generation of kids" has been "getting soft" since the beginning of mankind. Our parents said it, their parents said it, and so on and so forth. Doesn't make it true.
giphy.gif

"This new generation of kids" has been "getting soft" since the beginning of mankind. Our parents said it, their parents said it, and so on and so forth. Doesn't make it true.
That's fair! However, this is the first generation to really grow up on social media. Soft may not be the right word but there is no denying the majority of young athletes are much more sensitive to criticism than 8-10 years ago.

That's fair! However, this is the first generation to really grow up on social media. Soft may not be the right word but there is no denying the majority of young athletes are much more sensitive to criticism than 8-10 years ago.

I’m glad I didn’t grow up with social media. The things that can and are be put out there are awful. If anything, it would cause one to develop thicker skin. Or become suicidal.

As a student athlete, if you’re not able to take criticism from coaches that’s done this for a long time, then why even play sports at all?

This generation isn’t no where near as tough as it used to be.

As a student athlete, if you’re not able to take criticism from coaches that’s done this for a long time, then why even play sports at all?

This generation isn’t no where near as tough as it used to be.

It might be that some are tough and some aren’t. Just like every other generation that consists of thousands and thousands of individuals.

The great thing about broad brushes is that we can select an example of any individual color we want to paint an entire group with.

VN Store

Back