Coaches on the hot seat

We know Frost can coach? Why? Because he did well at UCF? It’s obvious he isn’t that good of a coach. He needs to drop down to division 2 or a much smaller conference.

I am not sure that the situation is entirely the making of Frost. Nebraska as a football program is just sucking air. They screwed the pooch when they moved conferences.

Before that, most NB recruits came out of Texas and they lost their inroads. Nebraska would be best served by stepping down to the B12 assuming that league survives. Yeah, the money is very different but being just a small step above Rutgers in a conference has to be damaging to the psyche of a team before they even take the field.

Last edited:
I am not sure that the situation is entirely the making of Frost. Nebraska as a football program is just sucking air. They screwed the pooch when they moved conferences.

Before that, most Texas recruits came out of Texas and they lost their inroads. Nebraska would be best served by stepping down to the B12 assuming that league survives. Yeah, the money is very different but being just a small step above Rutgers in a conference has to be damaging to the psyche of a team before they even take the field.

I just think Frost is not cut out for big boy football.

I just think Frost is not cut out for big boy football.

That's certainly a possibility.

Just thinking about how bad Nebraska has been for a decade plus at this point and how many coaches they have gone through. Bo Pellini was doing OK there for a while, but things went to crap for him after the B10 move. They are just a poor fit for the B10 in general.

Believe that was near the end of the Paul Johnson era. Trust me, folks were more than ready to see him on his way at any point after 2015 or so..

Triple option is a great thing for the military academies, but why Tech ever went that route I will never understand. Might as well just put a cap and a floor on your win totals and be done with it.

Vandy would be very well served going triple option, IMO. They’re just never going to consistently pull their weight in conference trying to throw/catch/run with everyone else, but going triple-option would probably get them close to 6 wins per year or so and sneak out a few shocker wins every once in a while.

Vandy would be very well served going triple option, IMO. They’re just never going to consistently pull their weight in conference trying to throw/catch/run with everyone else, but going triple-option would probably get them close to 6 wins per year or so and sneak out a few shocker wins every once in a while.
I’ve said the same thing about Duke. If Army and Navy can be competitive, there’s no reason that Vandy couldn’t get better athletes than Army and Navy and also be better than they are now. That said, I would hate to have to play a triple option team the week before a potential SEC title game.

Reactions: VolPack22
I have to agree with BigOrangeTrain.

I’ve always thought Frost was overhyped.

I highly doubt he’d do any better in the SEC.

I have to agree with BigOrangeTrain.

I’ve always thought Frost was overhyped.

I highly doubt he’d do any better in the SEC.
Before their time in the P5 what was the difference between him and Huepel? It could be said, and argued down, that Huepel just rode Frost's coattails like Butch did with Kelly.

We know Frost can coach? Why? Because he did well at UCF? It’s obvious he isn’t that good of a coach. He needs to drop down to division 2 or a much smaller conference.
If he had went to Florida he might have had them in the playoffs...He is in a terrible place to recruit...He wold do much better in a place lke UF or Miami...He can coach but where he is right now is suicide.

I remember one year they came out in the wishbone and destroyed us in the first half and lead 28-3...We came back to win but they ran the ball up and down the field on us all day long...We got some breaks at the end....The triple option is a bitch to defend.

I remember one year they came out in the wishbone and destroyed us in the first half and lead 28-3...We came back to win but they ran the ball up and down the field on us all day long...We got some breaks at the end....The triple option is a bitch to defend.

Yeah it is. You’re not going to win a Natty with it, but you have a punchers chance in any game, regardless of what the other team is ranked.

Right now Vandy vs Georgia is just an unfair game that should be forfeit, but triple option Vandy vs Georgia could occasionally be interesting.

Reactions: Paper_Towel
If I was Nebraska, I'd be in the ears of the B1G commish about playing USC and UCLA every year. I imagine they'll have a 3-6-6 schedule or something like that. Tom Osborne used to recruit Cali pretty well when things were rolling in Lincoln. Snag those 2 and Iowa as your 3 permanent.

If I was Nebraska, I'd be in the ears of the B1G commish about playing USC and UCLA every year. I imagine they'll have a 3-6-6 schedule or something like that. Tom Osborne used to recruit Cali pretty well when things were rolling in Lincoln. Snag those 2 and Iowa as your 3 permanent.
I don’t know what Nebraska is going to do if Frost ends up getting fired after this year. I have friends that are Nebraska fans and they are definitely wearing a little thin on Frost. Everyone talks about how it’s hard to recruit to Nebraska these days but if you look at their recruiting rankings over the past decade, it isn’t bad at all. I mean they aren’t getting top 10 classes but they are typically in the top 25 and are definitely ahead of a lot of teams they routinely lose to.

Reactions: UTwild82
I don’t know what Nebraska is going to do if Frost ends up getting fired after this year. I have friends that are Nebraska fans and they are definitely wearing a little thin on Frost. Everyone talks about how it’s hard to recruit to Nebraska these days but if you look at their recruiting rankings over the past decade, it isn’t bad at all. I mean they aren’t getting top 10 classes but they are typically in the top 25 and are definitely ahead of a lot of teams they routinely lose to.
His lack of success on the field is catching up with him on the recruiting trail because this most recent class was not good at all. 41st nationally, 10th in the Big Ten.

But you're right - since Frost took the job, the only Big Ten schools that have consistently out-recruited Nebraska are Ohio St, Michigan, and Penn St, which you'd expect.

Reactions: Vols1891
His lack of success on the field is catching up with him on the recruiting trail because this most recent class was not good at all. 41st nationally, 10th in the Big Ten.

But you're right - since Frost took the job, the only Big Ten schools that have consistently out-recruited Nebraska are Ohio St, Michigan, and Penn St, which you'd expect.
Nebraska has invented new ways to lose under Frost each and every week. I forget what the absurd stat is about 1 score losses, but it’s unbelievable. He has to close out some of these games this year. You’re Scott Frost, nobody wants to fire you, just win 8 /9 this year and you’re good.

Reactions: 05_never_again
Nebraska has invented new ways to lose under Frost each and every week. I forget what the absurd stat is about 1 score losses, but it’s unbelievable. He has to close out some of these games this year. You’re Scott Frost, nobody wants to fire you, just win 8 /9 this year and you’re good.
I think it was really something where he took a redone buyout (i.e., less money) to stay on. He must really want to stay there. Lots of other coaches in that position would probably go "No, if you don't like what I'm doing, just fire me. I'm getting my full buyout."

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
They get to a bowl game he is safe. They get 9 wins and he is COTY.

I think it was really something where he took a redone buyout (i.e., less money) to stay on. He must really want to stay there. Lots of other coaches in that position would probably go "No, if you don't like what I'm doing, just fire me. I'm getting my full buyout."
Worked for Harbaugh. At least for one year.

20 of his 29 losses at Nebraska have come by one possession.

VN Store

Back