Places to stay?

Something is up with this. Collusion by the downtown hotels. The others at cedar bluff straw plains and turkey creek aren’t doing this

There are going to be seven hotels, yielding more than 700 additional rooms, opening in the next four years downtown and it'll simply serve to increase the median nightly rate. There's absolutely a ceiling at some point, guided in some sense by the maximum nightly rate posted on a room's door (though I'm sure that's malleable and exceptions exist), but the Hyatt Place was charging over $1100/night last year in the ~10 days leading up to the Ole Miss game so a Tennessee squad firing on all cylinders can and will command an even bigger premium for marquee conference games once Texas and Oklahoma join the fold.

There are around 2,700 to 3,000 hotel rooms in downtown Knoxville right now (call it 3,500 once the new hotels are built), and that density coupled with UT football and the region's beauty lend to the desirability. If you assume something like 1.8 fans per room and an occupancy rate of 82.5%, that's still just under 5,200 fans of the ~96,000 that can buy a seat in Neyland. The cost is outrageously high, especially relative to what it has been in the past (remember when people were scared to go downtown?), but it's not all that unthinkable for 3,000 or so groups to spend $2k+ on accommodations for a conference opponent weekend. Luckily, plenty of other hotels outside of downtown's confines provide a substantially better value at the minor inconvenience of being unable to walk to Market Square.

My advice to anyone intending to stay downtown or on campus without spending a huge premium is to book over a year in advance. A lot of hotels have thirteen month windows, but you should try to hop on it during that sweet spot between bookings opening and the conference schedule being announced (mid-late September) for the next year's season if you want the best chance of paying a reasonable rate. You won't know exactly who's coming to town when, sure, but if there's no cancellation fee just book a few weekends and see where the cards fall. Airbnb is also a good option, especially since a lot of the more traditional owners and newcomers might not be privy to the scheduling patterns and release date so you'll have some solid options albeit with a far more frustrating cancellation policy in many cases.

I booked 6 months ago and we are staying every game at Embassy Suites downtown for less than 300 a night. It’s all about timing.

We have stayed for decades at Comfort Suites in Farragut. Not cheap but very quiet, safe and family oriented. Lots of food close by in Turkey Creek. Easy access from middle Tennessee.

Good options. There are also some hotels on 75 north around the Merchants Dr. exit. You’re also closer to Littons!

I recommend Priceline for the best prices.

I wouldn't recommend anyone staying on Merchants. Especially with a 13 year old girl.

As @dobre_shunka mentioned, prices have gone absolutely crazy for hotel rooms since 2020 and this year really takes the cake. As an example, here are your cheapest options (before tax) downtown for a two-night stay beginning on September 16th:

Crowne Plaza: $485 per night (never stayed, but would not recommend)
Residence Inn: $557 per night
Marriott: $584 per night
Hyatt Place: $599 per night
Tennesseean: $757 per night
The Oliver: $880 per night

1658365586371.gif

Maybe if you stay at some cheap roacher,.. I stay out there all the time nothing wrong with some of them

Fairfield/Hampton/Holiday Inn might be Ok.

We stayed in a Red Roof Suites out there for a 2020 game (I think?). Last minute kind of thing so that is only place we could find on Saturday. Stayed over Sunday as the gf wanted to do some shopping. Everything was Ok until a guy got shot in the hotel.

Maybe if you stay at some cheap roacher,.. I stay out there all the time nothing wrong with some of them

Yeah I wonder when the last time he’s stayed out there. 20 years ago it was bad but it’s gotten much better in the last 10 years. Also, easier to get in and out.

Fairfield/Hampton/Holiday Inn might be Ok.

We stayed in a Red Roof Suites out there for a 2020 game (I think?). Last minute kind of thing so that is only place we could find on Saturday. Stayed over Sunday as the gf wanted to do some shopping. Everything was Ok until a guy got shot in the hotel.

Maybe it was your choice of hotel not location.

Maybe it was your choice of hotel not location.

Red Roof, Hampton Inn, and Tru are all basically in the same complex with one or two other hotels. Something happens in the parking lot of one, trust me it's not that far from the other hotels lol.

I always operated under the rule that under no circumstances even consider a hotel that requires you to make a "left" onto Merchants coming from downtown. Everything to the right used to seem Ok.

Our friends stayed at the Quality Inn that same weekend (also very close to the other aforementioned hotels) and they swear there was a "working girl" staying next door.

Red Roof, Hampton Inn, and Tru are all basically in the same complex with one or two other hotels. Something happens in the parking lot of one, trust me it's not that far from the other hotels lol.

I always operated under the rule that under no circumstances even consider a hotel that requires you to make a "left" onto Merchants coming from downtown. Everything to the right used to seem Ok.

Our friends stayed at the Quality Inn that same weekend (also very close to the other aforementioned hotels) and they swear there was a "working girl" staying next door.

I agree about staying on the east side.

There are working girls at all of them. Just at the cheaper hotels they have to work longer hours.

It’s been 5 plus years since I’ve been to a home game and would like to take my 13 yr old daughter to the game against Akron on 9/17 so she can get the Knoxville experience. I. E. Vol Walk, see the Vol Navy, etc. looking to arrive in town on Friday, roll out on Sunday. Before I start looking on AirBnB I thought I’d ask the braintrust here for recommendations on places/hotels to stay.

Try the Ole Cooter Inn… it’s my fav in Kville these days! Last time I stayed there, I saw a big hole 🕳 in the lobby.. and it looked old too… but yea it’s a freakin winner!!

Stay out west somewhere. On Friday, eat at Turkey Creek and take your kid to Main Event or see a movie at the Pinnacle or Cinnebar.

Take the shuttle from Farragut High School to the game. No fighting traffic or looking for a parking spot. They drop you off at Circle Park near the Torch Bearer and pick you up on Volunteer Blvd across from Circle Park.

Dad of the year.

The old scottish inns will probably let you pay by the hour or by the month.......but seriously how come some of these places are not condemned and torn down?

About 30 years ago had an early flight out of Tyson and because I couldn’t find a smoking room I stooped and stayed at Airport Inn. It was original roach motel. Had no towels or shower head and needless to say my 10 yo son and I got little sleep. But checked out as soon as Waffle House opened up so we could get out of there.

About 30 years ago had an early flight out of Tyson and because I couldn’t find a smoking room I stooped and stayed at Airport Inn. It was original roach motel. Had no towels or shower head and needless to say my 10 yo son and I got little sleep. But checked out as soon as Waffle House opened up so we could get out of there.
You realize…those types of places are meant to be rented hourly…right??!’

*don’t ask me how I know.

It's definitely not just Knoxville, nor just football weekends. We paid nearly $400 to sleep 5 hours in a semi-crappy nashville hotel near the airport last month. Downtown Nashville hotels are insanely expensive on any given weekend.

Airport Hilton in Alcoa is $169 + taxes, fees, etc. for 9/17. Don't know if there is a two night minimum but you probably want that anyway. Other Alcoa hotels near the airport are Holiday Inn Express $171, La Quinta $110, Mainstay $112. All are about 20 minutes to downtown/Neyland.

Market Street and State Street city garages downtown used to be free parking on game day. There was also a free shuttle from Krutch Park near market Square.

Last edited:
You realize…those types of places are meant to be rented hourly…right??!’

*don’t ask me how I know.
Call me naive but I did all that in the back seat of my 55 Chevy back in the day.

VN Store

Back