Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

HOW THE HELL DID JONI TAYLOR SWING THAT ONE ? NO wonder recruits are following her to A&M def using this as a pitch . Same with Kara i think she's our competition for ADR along with Mulkey . SC has too many bigs already so that's where i narrow it down. What has Joni done to be an olympic team AC ? Lol what the hell has she won ?

HOW THE HELL DID JONI TAYLOR SWING THAT ONE ? NO wonder recruits are following her to A&M def using this as a pitch . Same with Kara i think she's our competition for ADR along with Mulkey . SC has too many bigs already so that's where i narrow it down. What has Joni done to be an olympic team AC ? Lol what the hell has she won ?

Yeah. Idk what people see in Joni’s coaching ability. I just don’t see it. I think she’s going to crash and burn at A&M.

Her former assistant, Karen Lange, now works at Duke with Kara. I felt Karen was calling about 90% of the shots at UGA and was definitely the one drawing things up during crunch time.

Kara needs that as well as I have been pretty unimpressed with her coaching also. IMO she should be in Durham getting her team ready instead of messing with USA basketball. She has a boat load of transfers to work in and Duke was Jekyll and Hyde last seaosn. Looked so much like Holly’s teams I couldn’t watch them. Would play pretty good one night and then be a total no show on effort the next.

I just spent probably an hour looking at the roster of the SEC teams. With the exception of Missouri each of the teams has three-five transfers many who were successful elsewhere. The success of Lady Vols and the rest of the teams will be in creating chemistry. I was surprised at how well Mississippi State had filled their roster while U of Miss had not. overall interesting educational trip; would recommend if you have the time.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
I still firmly believe Kara cancelled the season bc she knew her team would not fare well the remainder in the ACC and wanted to keep her prestigious Team USA 3x3 gold as a recruiting tool smh .

Well, Geno did it for years and nobody challenged him to leave the national team until Candace Parker situation came up. I thought they said that college coaches can't coach national team any more.

I just spent probably an hour looking at the roster of the SEC teams. With the exception of Missouri each of the teams has three-five transfers many who were successful elsewhere. The success of Lady Vols and the rest of the teams will be in creating chemistry. I was surprised at how well Mississippi State had filled their roster while U of Miss had not. overall interesting educational trip; would recommend if you have the time.

Coach Yo’s recruiting bubble has popped. She landed some good players but didn’t do enough with them. Everyone has cooled now. She has about 10 players that are identical combo guards but no talented size. They are in for a long season I think.

Coach Yo’s recruiting bubble has popped. She landed some good players but didn’t do enough with them. Everyone has cooled now. She has about 10 players that are identical combo guards but no talented size. They are in for a long season I think.
Coach Yo is so overrated yeah shes a fun coach she gets in big time players top 5 but they dont ever choose Ole Miss for some reason lol

Reactions: VolBall09
Azzi Fudd uses NIL proceeds to donate to Pat Summitt Foundation.

The article may be behind a paywall, so here are excerpts.

https://www.ctinsider.com/uconn/sta...tar-Azzi-Fudd-hosts-17340931.php?t=bf595400cd

UConn women’s basketball star Azzi Fudd hosts summer basketball camp for charity: ‘Sense of purpose’
Maggie Vanoni Updated: July 31, 2022 4:01 p.m.
Maggie VanoniJuly 31, 2022
WASHINGTON, D.C. — The group of 10 girls sat in a circle.
Some had questions: Who’s your best friend on the team? When did you start playing sports?
Others wanted their basketballs and notebooks signed.
Azzi Fudd, sitting on one side of the circle, made sure every girl was heard.
She listened intently to each question, answering every one no matter how random or obvious. What’s your favorite food? What college do you go to? She signed every basketball, T-shirt or notebook placed in front of her and even took selfies with kids when asked.
The Q&A session was one of four stations during her summer camp Saturday at her alma mater, St. John’s College High School, in Washington, D.C.
However, instead of keeping the earnings, the 19-year-old said she has chosen to donate the entirety of the camp’s profit to the Pat Summitt Foundation in honor of her great-grandmother who died from Alzheimer’s disease.
For Azzi, hosting camps such as this weekend’s isn’t about furthering her own brand or financial future, but about giving back in any way she can.
“My great-grandmother passing away, that had a huge impact on my life and that is something that I care about, something I’m passionate about helping,” Azzi said Saturday. “(Pat Summitt) was a great coach, obviously ‘Go Huskies’ but she’s a great coach and I completely respect everything that she’s done for the women’s game as well. To be able to support a foundation that is supporting the things that I care about, but also being able to support the game and someone that has helped the legacy of women’s basketball is huge to me.”
Azzi’s great-grandmother, Lucy, moved in with the Fudds around the same time Azzi was born. At first, she was able to help Azzi’s parents, Katie and Tim, raise a newborn, but soon her diagnosis worsened, and her health declined. Lucy went from helping to raise Azzi to being her peer as the two often snuck ice cream out of the freezer together. Soon, Azzi became the one reminding Lucy to take her medicine.
Lucy passed away when Azzi was 5.
Azzi first had the idea to combine her passion for basketball with honoring Lucy when she was assigned a school project in eighth grade. That summer, Azzi, with the help of her parents, hosted her first day camp. It was free to attend and donations to the Pat Summitt Foundation were encouraged. Tim says often only 30 to 40 kids showed up.
Each year since, Azzi has continued to host the camp.
“She’s very selfless, she’s very caring,” Katie said. “She loves little kids and loves being with them and caring for them. So I just think that’s kinda who she is. … I think she felt a sense of purpose and a sense of worth in giving back and doing something that mattered.”
Added Tim: “Her desire to want to represent and honor a family member who passed, I think that makes you proud. We’re really big on family and we kinda preach that and model that in all we do and I think that’s one of the things that kinda makes you sit back and go, ‘She’s getting it. She gets the message.’”
With Azzi’s increased popularity and visibility since playing at UConn, the Fudds wanted to make this year’s camp bigger.
They rented out St. John’s gym with the help of Azzi’s former high school coach, Jonathan Scribner. Scribner used his sports camp business, Hoop Education, as a registration vehicle to help organize the camp’s sign-ups. Tim found someone to create flyers and Azzi posted them to her social media channels, knowing they’d reach more than just local kids. Players from St. John’s girls’ basketball team and Katie’s AAU team, along with Azzi’s brothers, volunteered to help coach the kids.
Esther Nilebemuo, from Ireland, first saw the flier on Azzi’s Instagram account, which has 216,000 followers. She already had plans to spend the summer in Baltimore to work on basketball and made it a priority to stop by Azzi’s camp while she was in town.
“I’ve been a fan of Azzi for so long, so when I saw it on her Instagram, I was like, ‘I have to come. I have to meet her and see her game,’” said Nilebemuo, 16. “She’s a big name. She plays for UConn; all the greats have played at UConn, Sue Bird, all of them.”
Azzi’s NIL partnerships also helped support the camp. Under Armour, which owns a deal with the NBA’s Stephen Curry, who partners with Azzi, donated custom-designed shirts for the camp, while BioSteel donated a whole pallet of cases of various flavors. St. John’s allowed the campers to use its basketballs and equipment while at the gym.
“I love this place,” Azzi said. “I just had so many good memories here and left on good terms with so many people, like the principal, all of them. So to know that they still care about what I’m doing and they’re allowing me to use this space, it means a lot.
“While I was here not a lot of alums came back and now that I’m in college I’m traveling a lot. I’m home for 10 days this summer, and that’s it, and I told myself I’d never be the alum that doesn’t ever come back. Like, I want to come to practices. I want to come to games and I want to do whatever I can to support them, and I think it says a lot for the school that they’re also supporting me.”
This year’s camp was held Saturday and Sunday with two three-hour sessions each day. The morning session was dedicated to kids in third through eighth grades and the afternoon for kids in seventh grade through high school.
Each session started with dynamic dribbling warmups and then moved on to shooting drills and various skill stations, including a Q&A session with Azzi. After each station was completed, the kids participated in the competition portion of the session. The younger kids competed in a skills competition, testing their dribbling, speed and shooting skills. The older kids competed in a free-throw contest and 3x3 games. Sunday’s sessions were devoted to playing games and scrimmages.
“I learned how to (dribble) between my legs a bunch of times without stopping like in a row,” said Kendall Cunningham, 9. “When I was talking with Azzi it was fun because she’s really nice and she let us (ask) questions so that was really fun. … I was really nervous (to meet her) because I’m like one of her biggest fans. I just admire her because she’s kinda like me, like she has the same interests.”
Candy and Phil Anderson surprised their daughter, Presley, with tickets to the camp. They told her they were driving down from their home in West Chester, Pennsylvania, to visit family in D.C. and packed a bag of her basketball clothes — including a shirt of Azzi and Paige Bueckers’ SLAM Magazine cover — without her knowing. Once they got to their hotel in D.C. they told Presley she was going to meet Azzi.
“I want to go to UConn and she’s one of my favorite players because she’s a good shooter and she’s a really nice girl,” Presley said. “I didn’t know we were coming so I was shocked.”
Gina Leonard grew up in Wethersfield and became a lifelong UConn fan before moving to Virginia. On Saturday, she brought her 12-year-old daughter, Adriana, to the camp to get a chance to learn from Azzi.
“I love UConn and I love women’s basketball really and she’s such a strong player,” Adriana said. “She’s amazing to watch. She’s probably one of my biggest role models. She’s kinda like a celebrity and I was kinda nervous because I didn’t want to make the wrong moves or anything. It was amazing. It was really fun.”
During the second session Saturday, former Husky and current Washington Mystics guard Evina Westbrook stopped by with her mom to make an appearance. When the camp ended, Westbrook stayed back to sign autographs with some of the campers.
Eighty-six kids attended Saturday’s session. At $75 for a one-day ticket and $125 for both days, not only will the Fudds be able to easily reimburse their costs for renting the gym and purchasing camp insurance, but they’ll more importantly be able to give back more than they have in years past.
“She is reaching back and encouraging and teaching and motivating the next crop of kids that are coming along, whether they make it or not,” Tim said. “We think it’s very important that you’re picking up the next guy. That you’re turning around and pull the next one along because this sport wouldn’t be where it is today without that older generation, the Sues and the Dianas (Taurasi), reaching back.
“The true desire of the Azzis and the Paiges, they really want to see the game grow. They want to leave the game in a better place than when they came into it, and I think the only way to do that is by impacting the ones behind you and continuing to be that kind of a role model.”

SC brought in 1 transfer, PG Fletcher from GT. The two freshman signees are top rate, but only one transfer in.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Paige Bueckers is out for the season sad to hear and of course UCONN fans saying this injury hurts the entire WCBB visibility and landscape as if she's the only player in the country smh. I pray she gets better honestly but some uconn fans may want to open their eyes and realize the last 7 years they have not been who they think they are in their heads lol

VN Store

Back