The Dugout - General Topics, Chat, Random Photos and Memes.......No Politics

On July 18 in Baseball History...

• 1882 - Ambidextrous pitcher Tony Mullane of Louisville pitched with both hands in a Major League game at Baltimore. Normally a right-hander, Mullane switched to the left hand in the fourth inning. He eventually lost 9-8.

• 1912 - The Chicago Cubs had twenty-one hits in eleven innings but still lost to the Philadelphia Phillies when Gavvy Cravath stole home.

• 1927 - Ty Cobb of the Philadelphia Athletics (the past 22 seasons with the Detroit Tigers) doubled for his 4,000th hit at Detroit's Navin Field off former teammate Sam Gibson in the first inning.

• 1948 - Pat Seerey of the Chicago White Sox hit four home runs in a 12-11, eleven-inning victory over the Philadelphia A's in the opener of a doubleheader.

• 1962 - Bob Allison and Harmon Killebrew of the Minnesota Twins each hit grand slams in the first inning of a 14-3 rout of the Cleveland Indians.

• 1970 - Willie Mays bounced career hit number 3,000 through the left side of the infield off Mike Wegener in the second inning of San Francisco's 10-1 romp over Montreal.

• 1987 - Don Mattingly tied Dale Long 31-year-old Major League record when he hit a home run for the eighth consecutive game in the Yankees' 7-2 loss to the Texas Rangers.

• 1998 - Donnie Sadler's first Major League home run was the first of Boston's record four two-out homers in a 9-4 victory over the Detroit Tigers.
I just spent 30 minutes reading about Ty Cobb and baseball during the “dead ball era”. So much history. Ty was a character.

I just spent 30 minutes reading about Ty Cobb and baseball during the “dead ball era”. So much history. Ty was a character.
Watch Ken Burns’ Baseball episode that includes Cobb. Saying he had a mean streak would be kind. It was interesting that either few or none (can’t remember which) of the people he played with attended his funeral.

Watch Ken Burns’ Baseball episode that includes Cobb. Saying he had a mean streak would be kind. It was interesting that either few or none (can’t remember which) of the people he played with attended his funeral.
Not surprised, sounds like he was a bad mean mf from what I read. Was wondering if there was a good show or movie. I can’t wait, thanks.

Take away the props if you want but please don’t put ghost runners on 2nd base for extras. I’ve hated it ever since MLB put it into place.
I do dislike the concept of the ghost runner, but just because I’m a baseball purist. I did see a game 20 years ago that was 19 innings, and as much as I love the game, that memory makes me willing to accept the runners referenced. I’ve also seen double headers live where both games went extra innings. As long as they don’t go from white to yellow baseballs, I’m fine.

I do dislike the concept of the ghost runner, but just because I’m a baseball purist. I did see a game 20 years ago that was 19 innings, and as much as I love the game, that memory makes me willing to accept the runners referenced. I’ve also seen double headers live where both games went extra innings. As long as they don’t go from white to yellow baseballs, I’m fine.
What if you didn’t start ghost runners until like the 12th inning?

VN Store

Back