What's the first restaurant you remember as a kid?

somewhere along the line that place was an L&N restaurant also....Sticky Fingers isn't there anymore. they are remodeling the place again
Titos was the first time I tried anything that wasnt a burger, chicken fingers or pizza at a restaurant. Seems like we went there for years, but I couldnt really say how long it was.

Big Ed's in Oak Ridge is the 1st pizza place I remember going to. Dad liked Godfather's off Merchant Dr too. Screenshot_20220715-233453_DuckDuckGo.jpg
***I would get Mr. Neusel to autograph a paper plate every time I saw him. That was a huge deal when I was a kid.

I worked at the Ingles in Clinton when I was in high school. Anytime Ed came in, I would bag and load his groceries into his car. He always tipped $20. That was a huge deal when I was a teenager.

Other restaurants:
The Richie Kreme, Little Dipper, and Druther's in Clinton
McDonald's on Merchants (used to love climbing on the train) and Krystal on Clinton Hwy.
If dad wanted to "splurge" we'd go to the Hungry Fisherman on Bearden Hill or Western Sizzling on Merchant Drive

Last edited:
Reactions: bignewt and MAD
Big Ed's in Oak Ridge is the 1st pizza place I remember going to. Dad liked Godfather's off Merchant Dr too. View attachment 472985
***I would get Mr. Neusel to autograph a paper plate every time I saw him. That was a huge deal when I was a kid.

I worked at the Ingles in Clinton when I was in high school. Anytime Ed came in, I would bag and load his groceries into his car. He always tipped $20. That was a huge deal when I was a teenager.

Other restaurants:
The Richie Kreme and Druther's in Clinton
McDonald's on Merchants (used to love climbing on the train) and Krystal on Clinton Hwy.
If dad wanted to "splurge" we'd go to the Hungry Fisherman on Bearden Hill or Western Sizzling on Merchant Drive
How old are you? Was TasTee Freeze still around in South Clinton?

Mr. Gattis in Halls, La Cantina (Mexican Buffet) on Merchants, El Sazon in Jefferson City. Thatā€™s the 3 that I remember the most, besides normal fast food.

Reactions: MAD
How old are you? Was TasTee Freeze still around in South Clinton?

Tastee freeze? Mmmm hmmm, what was it close to? Are you thinking of Sling Blade?

Edit: The Little Dipper was a little restaurant in South Clinton I remember going to. It was close to the Town Talk #2 but on the opposite side of 25W.

Last edited:

Tastee freeze? Mmmm hmmm, what was it close to? Are you thinking of Sling Blade?

Edit: The Big Dipper was a little restaurant in South Clinton I remember going to. It was close to the Town Talk #2 but on the opposite side of 25W.
The TasTee Freeze was just around the curve going south on CH from Ingles. I think it was gone by 1980/81. I remember the Town Talk also.

Reactions: TN-POSSUM
The TasTee Freeze was just around the curve going south on CH from Ingles. I think it was gone by 1980/81. I remember the Town Talk also.

I asked mom about the Tastee Freeze and she didn't remember that one either. She said there was a small diner on CH near Blockhouse Valley Rd but I don't think that's the same one you're talking about.

There was a pizza joint across from the Clinton courthouse, near Hoskins Drug Store, in the mid 80s. Do you remember that place or the name of it?

I asked mom about the Tastee Freeze and she didn't remember that one either. She said there was a small diner on CH near Blockhouse Valley Rd but I don't think that's the same one you're talking about.

There was a pizza joint across from the Clinton courthouse, near Hoskins Drug Store, in the mid 80s. Do you remember that place or the name of it?
I went into the USAF in June of 80. Anything after that and I'm unsure. 25 years later I moved back and every thing had changed. I used to know Knoxville and Maryville pretty well when I was a kid. Not any more. Lol

I went into the USAF in June of 80. Anything after that and I'm unsure. 25 years later I moved back and every thing had changed. I used to know Knoxville and Maryville pretty well when I was a kid. Not any more. Lol

Ok, so you're around 60 yrs old?

I grew up in Heiskell and have always lived within a 10 mile radius of Chestnut Ridge. I can't believe how many people are in this area now compared to just 20 years ago.....especially the Powell/Emory Rd area and Hardin Valley.

Reactions: malinoisvol
Ok, so you're around 60 yrs old?

I grew up in Heiskell and have always lived within a 10 mile radius of Chestnut Ridge. I can't believe how many people are in this area now compared to just 20 years ago.....especially the Powell/Emory Rd area and Hardin Valley.
I grew up in Claxton and now live right off of 441 near the AC/KC line.

Ask her what used to be in the building that is now El Tempe back in the 70's. My memory is for chit. Maybe instead of Tastee Freeze, it was TasteTs. Dang, I hate it when I can't remember correctly.

Ask her what used to be in the building that is now El Tempe back in the 70's. My memory is for chit. Maybe instead of Tastee Freeze, it was TasteTs. Dang, I hate it when I can't remember correctly.

I asked her about the El Tepame building and she said "Not in 70s , but family from FL owned diner, and had hamburgers, like Golden Girls food. Can't remember name at moment." Screenshot_20220717-173322_Maps.jpg

*We shopped at the IGA in the background, which is the NAPA now. We took our glass bottles to IGA for the deposit. I think Radio Shack was on the far right of that shopping center. I think there was a furniture store in that shopping center too

**Thanks @mad4vols for the thread. It's been fun to remember.

Reactions: MAD
I asked her about the El Tepame building and she said "Not in 70s , but family from FL owned diner, and had hamburgers, like Golden Girls food. Can't remember name at moment." View attachment 473341

*We shopped at the IGA in the background, which is the NAPA now. We took our glass bottles to IGA for the deposit. I think Radio Shack was on the far right of that shopping center. I think there was a furniture store in that shopping center too

**Thanks @mad4vols for the thread. It's been fun to remember.
Was that Millers IGA?

Is that the Exxon?
No.... Jerry's was on the left heading from Raccoon Valley to Halls....where Miller Rd crosses the freeway (past the s curves). It's been closed for a few years, the last time it was open it was called Twisters. No gas pumps, just food and a few groceries.

Was that Millers IGA?
I think so. We shopped there or the White Store (Food City location now), which was across the bridge in Clinton, for groceries. Mom loved getting those green stamps at the White Store/White Way, I don't know how many of those stupid stamps I licked when I was a kid.

Last edited:
No.... Jerry's was on the left heading from Raccoon Valley to Halls....where Miller Rd crosses the freeway (past the s curves). It's been closed for a few years, the last time it was open it was called Twisters. No gas pumps, just food and a few groceries.
The only place I've noticed is that Exxon. I'll have to keep an eye out next time down.

I m about 3/4s of a mile after turning left off the Raccoon Valley spur.

I think so. We shopped there or the White Store (Food City location now), which was across the bridge in Clinton, for groceries. Mom loved getting those green stamps at the White Store/White Way, I don't know how many of those stupid stamps I licked when I was a kid.
Mom shopped Turners IGA in Claxton and my aunt shopped the White Stores in Clinton and on the corner of Merchants and CH.

It was Miller's IGA. I knew the owners son later in life.

VN Store

Back