Change one game

Super Bowl XXXIV.

But since this is the NCAA forum, I'll say the 2008 SECCG. Win that and Bama likely wins Saban's first NC a year early.
I’ll take that a step further . The game where Drew Brees got injured. He doesn’t get injured, Dolphins sign off on him and you guys don’t get Saban and hire RichRod instead. I still think Drew Brees signing w/ the Saints was the biggest butterfly effect in football.

Last edited:
1993 Florida. Tennessee wins that and then the SEC title game against Bama and they enter bowl season 11-0-1 and would have had a great chance of winning the National Championship.
I’d say 1996 Florida to be different. I thought about 1995 Florida but that Nebraska team was unbeatable so I’ll go 1996 as I bet UT doesn’t flub the Memphis game if undefeated and that gives us a shot at the title. Yours was an obvious choice and that Miami team was pretty special too but not unbeatable like 95 Nebraska. We would’ve given them one helluva game.

Reactions: -GiveHim6-
Super Bowl XXXIV.

But since this is the NCAA forum, I'll say the 2008 SECCG. Win that and Bama likely wins Saban's first NC a year early.

I’ll go a year later and say the 2009 SECCG.

It would have been nice to cross the Rose Bowl off the bucket list, win or lose against Texas.

LSU 2001 is the easy answer I’m sure for a lot of Vols fans. Z. I’ll go 2007 since that’s more memorable to me. Win a conference title that year and who knows. Maybe Fulmer gets a second wind.

Non Vols related game would be Oklahoma State and Iowa State in 2011. If Okie State takes care of business it’s them vs LSU in 2011 instead of that boring rematch we got. Who knows the playoffs may not be a thing if Iowa State just doesn’t upset Oklahoma State lol

I'll go against the grain here.

Most people have responded with big games against great opponents which did not go the Vols way.

Gentlemen, there is certainly shame in getting beaten by the Alabamas, Georgias, and assorted other schools, but there is certainly also honor in going up against the best.

In that vein, I give you the 2019 Georgia State game. Inferior opponent. Home game. Season opener We should have mopped the floor with them, but we didn't. Getting beat by Alabama sucks but it certainly doesn't leave your program in an existential crisis. There was no honor in getting beaten by a Sub Belt team

Runner up would be the Tiger High debacle.

Reactions: MAD
I'll go against the grain here.

Most people have responded with big games against great opponents which did not go the Vols way.

Gentlemen, there is certainly shame in getting beaten by the Alabamas, Georgias, and assorted other schools, but there is certainly also honor in going up against the best.

In that vein, I give you the 2019 Georgia State game. Inferior opponent. Home game. Season opener We should have mopped the floor with them, but we didn't. Getting beat by Alabama sucks but it certainly doesn't leave your program in an existential crisis. There was no honor in getting beaten by a Sub Belt team

Runner up would be the Tiger High debacle.
This ☝️

That Georgia State game was definitely the worst loss and a low point in Tennessee history.
That said, so happy that coach is gone.

That game cost Tennessee a trip to the Rose Bowl to play Miami. And while Miami was talented, so was Tennessee. Far more than Nebraska that season or OSU the following yr. I still think it would have been a great game.
And they had that game well in hand until late. That is when we all knew that Fulmer without Cutcliffe just wasn’t up to the job

2001 SECCG. Without a doubt. That could have started the UT dynasty. Potentially 2 NC’s in three years. Instead, we sh!t the bed against a lesser LSU team and we’ve been mostly irrelevant ever since.

2001 SECCG. Without a doubt. That could have started the UT dynasty. Potentially 2 NC’s in three years. Instead, we sh!t the bed against a lesser LSU team and we’ve been mostly irrelevant ever since.
Still cannot/ will not watch a replay of that game. It’s too infuriating. I feel like every December during the SEC title game CBS shows replays of Matt Mauck keeping the ball and scoring and Gary saying “only once has this game kept a team out of the National Championship”. Pisses Me off

Reactions: feathersax
Still cannot/ will not watch a replay of that game. It’s too infuriating. I feel like every December during the SEC title game CBS shows replays of Matt Mauck keeping the ball and scoring and Gary saying “only once has this game kept a team out of the National Championship”. Pisses Me off
When that day started, we were probably on the outside looking in, IIRC, but everything fell into place and all we had to do was take care of business against LSU. We trounced a decent Michigan team in the Citrus Bowl. I would have liked our chances for the natty.

When that day started, we were probably on the outside looking in, IIRC, but everything fell into place and all we had to do was take care of business against LSU. We trounced a decent Michigan team in the Citrus Bowl. I would have liked our chances for the natty.
I’m pretty sure we were solidly in the BCS title game if we beat LSU. I’m not so sure I share your same confidence about our chances in the title game vs an all-time Miami team, but we would’ve been better than Nebraska.

I don’t get why some say the 2001 LSU game. If everyone was being honest and not homerish, we all know Miami would have destroyed us.

For me I am gonna go with a recent one, 2015 Oklahoma game. Remember that year we lost close games to OU, UF, Arky and Bama. But I get the feeling if we would have beaten OU, our confidence level would have been up and we may not have lost any of those other games.

I don’t get why some say the 2001 LSU game. If everyone was being honest and not homerish, we all know Miami would have destroyed us.

For me I am gonna go with a recent one, 2015 Oklahoma game. Remember that year we lost close games to OU, UF, Arky and Bama. But I get the feeling if we would have beaten OU, our confidence level would have been up and we may not have lost any of those other games.
Because we would’ve gone to the National Title game and its probably the worst, most meaningful loss in school history, other than that I can’t think of any other reasons.

As a Gator fan, hard to think of a game that dearly cost Florida that people really hang their hat on.

No Gator fan is going to say the Fiesta Bowl vs. Nebraska because Florida got manhandled. The idea of a do-over causes PTSD.

The 4th and dumb game against Georgia cost Florida an SEC title in 1976. Steve Spurrier would certainly like a do-over against Georgia in 1966.

One game I'd personally like to have back is the Sugar Bowl loss to Notre Dame after the 1991 season.

Reactions: ENGRVOL

VN Store

Back