Places to stay?

Shellwaster

It’s been 5 plus years since I’ve been to a home game and would like to take my 13 yr old daughter to the game against Akron on 9/17 so she can get the Knoxville experience. I. E. Vol Walk, see the Vol Navy, etc. looking to arrive in town on Friday, roll out on Sunday. Before I start looking on AirBnB I thought I’d ask the braintrust here for recommendations on places/hotels to stay.

It’s been 5 plus years since I’ve been to a home game and would like to take my 13 yr old daughter to the game against Akron on 9/17 so she can get the Knoxville experience. I. E. Vol Walk, see the Vol Navy, etc. looking to arrive in town on Friday, roll out on Sunday. Before I start looking on AirBnB I thought I’d ask the braintrust here for recommendations on places/hotels to stay.
It's been a few years since I was in town myself, but the last few times I was, I stayed at the Holiday Inn on Henley and had good experiences. Chesapeake's is across the street, and Market Square is walking distance. Actually, so is campus.

It's been a few years since I was in town myself, but the last few times I was, I stayed at the Holiday Inn on Henley and had good experiences. Chesapeake's is across the street, and Market Square is walking distance. Actually, so is campus.

It is now a Marriott and has been renovated. It is very nice and as you said, convenient to the campus and downtown. My daughter and I stayed there for the Paul McCartney concert and enjoyed it very much.

If you have the money, downtown has easy access to Market Square & Gay St, a lot of new hotels and is within walking distance to campus but expect to spend at least $250 a night. Prices have really climbed in the past several years. Plenty of options west of downtown along 40 and Kingston Pike but the Strawberry Plains exit just east of town has a number of hotels in various price ranges and is about a 10 minute drive to downtown.

Reactions: murfvol1
If you have the money, downtown has easy access to Market Square & Gay St, a lot of new hotels and is within walking distance to campus but expect to spend at least $250 a night. Prices have really climbed in the past several years. Plenty of options west of downtown along 40 and Kingston Pike but the Strawberry Plains exit just east of town has a number of hotels in various price ranges and is about a 10 minute drive to downtown.

Good options. There are also some hotels on 75 north around the Merchants Dr. exit. You’re also closer to Littons!

I recommend Priceline for the best prices.

As @dobre_shunka mentioned, prices have gone absolutely crazy for hotel rooms since 2020 and this year really takes the cake. As an example, here are your cheapest options (before tax) downtown for a two-night stay beginning on September 16th:

Crowne Plaza: $485 per night (never stayed, but would not recommend)
Residence Inn: $557 per night
Marriott: $584 per night
Hyatt Place: $599 per night
Tennesseean: $757 per night
The Oliver: $880 per night

In years past, those prices would have been good (fair, even) for Florida or Alabama weekend. This is Akron, though, and the rates are outrageous... yet, multiple downtown hotels (Hilton, Courtyard, Embassy Suites, Hampton Inn) are sold out this weekend and I doubt they were charging significantly less than similarly-tiered hotels.

There are no available Airbnbs downtown that weekend for cheaper than the rates listed above, which is also pretty nuts. Available Airbnbs start getting cheaper the further out you get from downtown/Neyland, but I truly don't believe that the value proposition is there to make them a good choice relative to a non-downtown hotel (rates are pretty low for Airbnbs in South Knoxville, but the area is still pretty sketchy regardless of how many brewery patios and taco shops they open).

If money is no object, go for the Hyatt Place or Tennessean. I prefer the former before even considering the price break, as I like the location on the 500 block of Gay Street for its proximity to Market Square/the Old City plus the rooftop lounge is superior to the alternative, but the Tennesseean is a little nicer overall (the Hyatt Place is very nice in its own right, though) and a closer walk to Neyland.

Otherwise, a more reasonable approach is to go with a name brand hotel in West Knoxville or North Knoxville for significant savings. There's an Aloft for $189 per night out in Turkey Creek, a Hilton Garden Inn near Cedar Bluff for $249 per night and a Hampton Inn up around Merchants in North Knoxville for $229 per night. All of these allow you to check in on Friday night, grab some dinner at one of the myriad restaurants near your hotel, grab an Uber downtown at around 1:00 p.m. or 2:00 p.m. on Saturday to enjoy Market Square/Gay Street before walking over to campus and then play the waiting game for an Uber back after the game is over. Finding a parking pass might be nice since there are admittedly few places to go in the campus/downtown area with a 13-year-old at 10:30 p.m., but you can also get an Uber pretty quickly if you don't mind paying a surcharge.

Downtown is great, but expensive. Market Square and Gay Street are both hopping and fun. Market Place in Cedar Bluff is about half price of downtown and a 20 minute or so drive to campus. I take Middlebrook Pike; less traffic and an easy drive.

As @dobre_shunka mentioned, prices have gone absolutely crazy for hotel rooms since 2020 and this year really takes the cake. As an example, here are your cheapest options (before tax) downtown for a two-night stay beginning on September 16th:

In years past, those prices would have been good (fair, even) for Florida or Alabama weekend. This is Akron, though, and the rates are outrageous... yet, multiple downtown hotels (Hilton, Courtyard, Embassy Suites, Hampton Inn) are sold out this weekend and I doubt they were charging significantly less than similarly-tiered hotels.

There are no available Airbnbs downtown that weekend for cheaper than the rates listed above, which is also pretty nuts. Available Airbnbs start getting cheaper the further out you get from downtown/Neyland, but I truly don't believe that the value proposition is there to make them a good choice relative to a non-downtown hotel (rates are pretty low for Airbnbs in South Knoxville, but the area is still pretty sketchy regardless of how many brewery patios and taco shops they open).

If money is no object, go for the Hyatt Place or Tennessean. I prefer the former before even considering the price break, as I like the location on the 500 block of Gay Street for its proximity to Market Square/the Old City plus the rooftop lounge is superior to the alternative, but the Tennesseean is a little nicer overall (the Hyatt Place is very nice in its own right, though) and a closer walk to Neyland.

Otherwise, a more reasonable approach is to go with a name brand hotel in West Knoxville or North Knoxville for significant savings. There's an Aloft for $189 per night out in Turkey Creek, a Hilton Garden Inn near Cedar Bluff for $249 per night and a Hampton Inn up around Merchants in North Knoxville for $229 per night. All of these allow you to check in on Friday night, grab some dinner at one of the myriad restaurants near your hotel, grab an Uber downtown at around 1:00 p.m. or 2:00 p.m. on Saturday to enjoy Market Square/Gay Street before walking over to campus and then play the waiting game for an Uber back after the game is over. Finding a parking pass might be nice since there are admittedly few places to go in the campus/downtown area with a 13-year-old at 10:30 p.m., but you can also get an Uber pretty quickly if you don't mind paying a surcharge.

Unfreaking real! I never thought I'd see a time when rates were like this in Knoxville, TN. I stayed in downtown San Diego one block from Petco Stadium recently for cheaper than these rates!

Unfreaking real! I never thought I'd see a time when rates were like this in Knoxville, TN. I stayed in downtown San Diego one block from Petco Stadium recently for cheaper than these rates!

That's ridiculous! I just stayed at a beachfront. 4 bedroom, 3 bathroom huge condo with a huge balcony overlooking the gulf and bay(it was that big), with 4 pools, a lazy river etc for $700/night. Save your money. You can have a hell of a football, party for $880.00.

A quick kayak search has the median downtown price at 500$ night. Most places have a call for price.

Reactions: 99grad
Which direction are you coming from and what connection are you hoping to make with her?
Most of downtown will be loud after the game and if she's on the timid side she might not get a good night's sleep.
With the prices that this thread has shared, I can see why the AirBNB are so popular, I might sleep in the shed and rent my place out. ;) From the time I leave the stadium, walk to my car a drive home it's usually about 35-40 minutes

Yeah Don, but you are required to have a concealed carry permit for San Diego.

VN Store

Back