Your Memphis Grizzlies Basketball Thread III

You don't sign Konchar to that deal if you think you have something with Jake or Roddy.

6 million annually to a guy who couldn't really crack playoff rotation seems likes a waste

So you think they already know/admit they screwed up after one summer league game? Doubtful.

They may be overpaying, but I don’t believe it is for the reason you state. They just really like Konchar’s versatility and defense and saw that as market price would be my guess.

Reactions: tvolsfan and TBrown
Yikes.

If Jake L. or Roddy was the answer, this wouldn't be needed....

He was already locked in until 2024. Salary cap is going to spike with the new TV contract by 2025 and $6m in 2027 will feel like $3-4m did in 2021-22. There is a good chance this contract is a total steal, and the risk seems low.

Also, the extension gets Konchar off the same expiration year as Bane and Jones. It ensures they keep Konchar and then can use bird rights on Bane, no matter where their cap is.

Also, the extension gets Konchar off the same expiration year as Bane and Jones. It ensures they keep Konchar and then can use bird rights on Bane, no matter where their cap is.

Other side is you are paying $6M per year to a guy that couldn't crack the playoff rotation in a series where your 2s and 3s were atrocious on the offensive end of the court (Kyle, Dillon, DeAnthony) or were hurt (Bane). He scored 0 points in non garbage time during the GSW and MIN series...

Other side is you are paying $6M per year to a guy that couldn't crack the playoff rotation in a series where your 2s and 3s were atrocious on the offensive end of the court (Kyle, Dillon, DeAnthony) or were hurt (Bane). He scored 0 points in non garbage time during the GSW and MIN series...

If he were a bona fide playoff rotation guy, you'd be paying a lot more for him. He'll be making $6m in 2027. GPII is making $9m next year because he proved over about a dozen games that he can be a playoff rotation guy. Kyle Anderson left for $9m. Brooks will likely get more than both of them.

Reactions: 95 Vol Alum
Russillo just did 5 minutes about how impressed he is with the Grizzlies culture. He was at the same hotel as them at Summer League and he'd see them at the gym. He said they clearly all like each other, they push each other, the vibe is good, they take the trainers seriously trying to make the most of this limited gym, and he said they were so friendly with everybody.

Reactions: 95 Vol Alum
If he were a bona fide playoff rotation guy, you'd be paying a lot more for him. He'll be making $6m in 2027. GPII is making $9m next year because he proved over about a dozen games that he can be a playoff rotation guy. Kyle Anderson left for $9m. Brooks will likely get more than both of them.

Not sure I would want to model my F.O. decisions based on what Minny (especially after the Gobert deal) and Portland think are good ideas. GP3 was the 6th or 7th guy on a finals winning team. JK was warming the bench in the playoffs for a team that was desperate for anything offensively from the 2 and 3 after Bane's injury.

Once Bane gets paid for Ja becomes supermax eligible, those 2 + JJJ will equal 100 million against the cap. When you have a small market with 3 big salaries, you can't pay $6MM for the 11th or 12th man, especially after you traded up to draft 2 guys that play the same decision.

It might be a little bit of PTSD but we've seen this script in Memphis before. Overpay for a non difference maker will eventually mean a rotational piece will be too expensive for our financial situation...

Not sure I would want to model my F.O. decisions based on what Minny (especially after the Gobert deal) and Portland think are good ideas. GP3 was the 6th or 7th guy on a finals winning team. JK was warming the bench in the playoffs for a team that was desperate for anything offensively from the 2 and 3 after Bane's injury.

Once Bane gets paid for Ja becomes supermax eligible, those 2 + JJJ will equal 100 million against the cap. When you have a small market with 3 big salaries, you can't pay $6MM for the 11th or 12th man, especially after you traded up to draft 2 guys that play the same decision.

It might be a little bit of PTSD but we've seen this script in Memphis before. Overpay for a non difference maker will eventually mean a rotational piece will be too expensive for our financial situation...

I’m sure they don’t see him stagnating.

The Memphis financial situation is overplayed.

Memphis‘ owner is the 3rd “richest” in the league. He can afford the luxury tax IF he wants to win.

The Memphis financial situation is overplayed.

Memphis‘ owner is the 3rd “richest” in the league. He can afford the luxury tax IF he wants to win.

During the last period of contention under this owner (12-16), he focused more on the finances/cap than supplementing the roster (shooting, backup PG). Instead of trying to build a supporting cast, they signed bums like Nick Calathes.

Because the team had same bad end of the roster contracts during the Core 4 era, the same owner (during the peak of the Core 4) traded Rudy Gay for a washed Tayshaun Prince to save $$$ and then got fleeced by Danny Ainge for a guy with a heart condition.

Again, that's my fear here is that the money prohibits the team from extending BC or forcing them to get pennies on the dollar line G. Allen when they trade Dillon.

I hope I'm wrong but I've seen this movie before....

During the last period of contention under this owner (12-16), he focused more on the finances/cap than supplementing the roster (shooting, backup PG). Instead of trying to build a supporting cast, they signed bums like Nick Calathes.

Because the team had same bad end of the roster contracts during the Core 4 era, the same owner (during the peak of the Core 4) traded Rudy Gay for a washed Tayshaun Prince to save $$$ and then got fleeced by Danny Ainge for a guy with a heart condition.

Again, that's my fear here is that the money prohibits the team from extending BC or forcing them to get pennies on the dollar line G. Allen when they trade Dillon.

I hope I'm wrong but I've seen this movie before....
Not even close

Not even close

What's wrong?

How many times did Grizz pay luxury tax in that period? 0

How many times did Grizz find competent backup PG? 0

Was Calathes a bum? Yes

Was the Rudy deal done for financial reasons? Yes (I didn't love Rudy but they got pennies on the dollar back)

Was Tayshaun washed? Yes

Did Jeff Green have heart condition? Yes

Did Ainge fleece them? Yes

Was Grayson given away for pennies on the dollar? Yes

VN Store

Back