Will the SEC seek to expand now?

Why would Notre Dame jump at the chance to be in our league? That’s first I’ve ever heard of that .

$$$ and prestige. While the Big 10 leads the SEC by a couple of million on payout per school, they are projected to be overtaken in the next few years. I don't know how USCw and UCLA will change that, but if the SEC added Clemson and Oregon, those payouts would be absurd.

Obviously, the Big 10 would make the most historical and geographic sense, but let's face it. Who would turn down an invitation if the money was right?

$$$ and prestige. While the Big 10 leads the SEC by a couple of million on payout per school, they are projected to be overtaken in the next few years. I don't know how USCw and UCLA will change that, but if the SEC added Clemson and Oregon, those payouts would be absurd.

Obviously, the Big 10 would make the most historical and geographic sense, but let's face it. Who would turn down an invitation if the money was right?
Notre Dame has and would again. I don’t think it’s that simple for Notre Dame to join a conference. Meaning it’s not easy for anyone, but it’s even more difficult for them. Not to mention they see themselves way above the SEC academically. They feel that they would be at a massive disadvantage due to their strict academic requirements. I think they view the Big 10 as a conference with more academically aligned universities. Personally, I want Notre Dame in the Big 10. I think it would be better for college football. They already have built in rivalries with a ton of schools . Michigan, Michigan State, Purdue, Chicago area Northwestern, now USC, probably a developing rivalry with Ohio State if they joined. That opening weekend game vs Ohio State will get a monster tv #. To me the Big 10 is the perfect landing spot for the Irish. I say this and would want us to destroy Notre Dame given every opportunity if they joined the SEC.

Notre Dame has and would again. I don’t think it’s that simple for Notre Dame to join a conference. Meaning it’s not easy for anyone, but it’s even more difficult for them. Not to mention they see themselves way above the SEC academically. They feel that they would be at a massive disadvantage due to their strict academic requirements. I think they view the Big 10 as a conference with more academically aligned universities. Personally, I want Notre Dame in the Big 10. I think it would be better for college football. They already have built in rivalries with a ton of schools . Michigan, Michigan State, Purdue, Chicago area Northwestern, now USC, probably a developing rivalry with Ohio State if they joined. That opening weekend game vs Ohio State will get a monster tv #. To me the Big 10 is the perfect landing spot for the Irish. I say this and would want us to destroy Notre Dame given every opportunity if they joined the SEC.

I get what you're saying about the academic thing...

But if Stanford, which I (and probably most people) consider a superior academic school to Notre Dame by all measures, can recruit and compete athletically, nobody has any excuse.

But again, it all comes down to the dollars. Rivalries or not, that's the bottom line.

But if Stanford, which I (and probably most people) consider a superior academic school to Notre Dame by all measures, can recruit and compete athletically, nobody has any excuse.

But again, it all comes down to the dollars. Rivalries or not, that's the bottom line.
It’s unfortunate that we’re even having this discussion. Fox and Disney are pulling all the strings here. I admit that I am intrigued by the idea of new matchups. USC playing at Ann Arbor or Penn State is very intriguing because I love college football. I love Tennessee football more, but I love college football. Hell, I like PAC12 after dark or even Tuesday MACtion, I just didn’t have a problem with the way things were. The $$ that has just avalanched on to the sport has changed everything. So many outside factors have contributed to it. Live sports are really the only thing that can’t be On demand or watched on your own time. You are forced to watch the ads and the networks know this.

Brian Kelly quote from 2015 regarding football player admission standards:

“I think we recognized that all of my football players are at-risk — all of them — really. Honestly, I don’t know that any of our players would get into the school by themselves right now with the academic standards the way they are. Maybe one or two of our players that are on scholarship.

So based on that public comment from the past ND Football coach, it appears it is easier to gain admission to ND if you play ball.

Brian Kelly quote from 2015 regarding football player admission standards:

“I think we recognized that all of my football players are at-risk — all of them — really. Honestly, I don’t know that any of our players would get into the school by themselves right now with the academic standards the way they are. Maybe one or two of our players that are on scholarship.

So based on that public comment from the past ND Football coach, it appears it is easier to gain admission to ND if you play ball.

So...

What's Vandy's excuse? Other than they suck.

Reactions: oz615

VN Store

Back