Tennessee Lady Vols Softball 2022.

Players would, but to stop the log jam of high school kids being overlooked or as it’s elevated to shady contacts of players/friends recruiting players to their team.
I feel like the latter is always going to be apart of the game. I’ve seen it happen in travel ball and with the portal being such easy access I am not surprised that type of stuff has happened in college.

I feel like the latter is always going to be apart of the game. I’ve seen it happen in travel ball and with the portal being such easy access I am not surprised that type of stuff has happened in college.

It was happening before the portal too (obviously not to this degree). There have been some high profile transfers in softball for many years before the portal, and I don’t recall any of them having to sit out at all. Not sure the circumstances for all, but they weren’t coaching changes. Maybe the schools always gave permission or the NCAA approved waivers/exemptions??

It was happening before the portal too (obviously not to this degree). There have been some high profile transfers in softball for many years before the portal, and I don’t recall any of them having to sit out at all. Not sure the circumstances for all, but they weren’t coaching changes. Maybe the schools always gave permission or the NCAA approved waivers/exemptions??
In the past they’ve used multiple reasons. To be closer to a ailing family member seemed to get expedited as not granting would put the school in a bad light. In all sports we’ve lost and benefitted by whatever the reason stated for immediate playing time. But this is open season open market. If you play well at lower D1 it can be parlayed into getting called up.

I’m afraid Pandora’s Box is open and will be hard to close, maybe tweak (sit out 2nd transfer) but not closed. For instance, Josie left UT for McNeese and started at SS now I read she’s entered the portal again? Never dreamed so many top program D1 kids would want to transfer. I don’t think it makes you recruit better just differently knowing you can pluck a couple out of the portal. In a nutshell, if you miss on a kid they can leave and if a kid was “under” recruited and played well at a mid-major they can leave, “ called up” as mentioned.

I’m afraid Pandora’s Box is open and will be hard to close, maybe tweak (sit out 2nd transfer) but not closed. For instance, Josie left UT for McNeese and started at SS now I read she’s entered the portal again? Never dreamed so many top program D1 kids would want to transfer. I don’t think it makes you recruit better just differently knowing you can pluck a couple out of the portal. In a nutshell, if you miss on a kid they can leave and if a kid was “under” recruited and played well at a mid-major they can leave, “ called up” as mentioned.
1100 softball players in the portal. Enough players to fill 50 teams.

A lot will transfer to get more scholly money. Until they raise the asinine low scholarship limit this will continue, along with kids today not accepting they have to pay their dues.

Seems I remember a thread here discussing softball players transferring before the portal and Deerpark answered that softball players were never required by the NCAA to sit out a season. This was some time back so my memory of it may not be the best so apologize if I spoke incorrectly for you Deerpark. Seems before the portal it was a grey area. Of course now its just full speed ahead and no rules.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Seems I remember a thread here discussing softball players transferring before the portal and Deerpark answered that softball players were never required by the NCAA to sit out a season. This was some time back so my memory of it may not be the best so apologize if I spoke incorrectly for you Deerpark. Seems before the portal it was a grey area. Of course now its just full speed ahead and no rules.

Before the portal, players in most sports did not have to sit out if they got a release from their previous school, which was granted in the vast majority of situations.

The only sports were you had to sit out a year, no matter what, were football, men’s and women’s basketball, and ice hockey.

Before the portal, players in most sports did not have to sit out if they got a release from their previous school, which was granted in the vast majority of situations.

The only sports were you had to sit out a year, no matter what, were football, men’s and women’s basketball, and ice hockey.

That is what I thought. I couldn’t recall anyone in softball having to sit out before.

Bailey signed with UNC, Maddie with Johnson, Anna with Michigan State, and Caliyah medically called it a career. Is that it so far with our eligible returning non-starters? I think that leaves Amanda C, Olivia, Katie, Shakara, and Gracie. Just trying to keep up.

It was the policy of the old women’s athletics department to not grant releases in any sport until around 2006.

It's definitely happened since then, as well. But not in recent years. Although the Weeklys gave Aldrete and Koenig a very small list of schools to which they were willing to give a release.

Last edited:
Bailey signed with UNC, Maddie with Johnson, Anna with Michigan State, and Caliyah medically called it a career. Is that it so far with our eligible returning non-starters? I think that leaves Amanda C, Olivia, Katie, Shakara, and Gracie. Just trying to keep up.
I think Gracie will be a starter given that she is over her injury? I am guessing that is what kept her out of the lineup same thing with Olivia. Katie has a shot at one of the outfield spots if she can start hitting. Shakara would be the #1 pinch runner option, & Curran can enter the DP conversation if she can be more consistent.

VN Store

Back