Chandler Agrees to 4-Year, $7.1M Contract; $4.9M Guaranteed

The Grizz still had their mid level exception to use and they used it on KC. It’s a salary cap move and future roster construction move. What isn’t mentioned is that the final 3 years of his contract are actually for the league minimum.

Still a really good deal for him early and gives him some security, but also makes sense for the Grizz as they potentially lock up a solid role player (or more) for the league minimum when their other young guys start to get paid.

Additionally, I believe by signing him to at least a 3 year deal and keeping him, then the Grizzlies would retain KC's Bird rights when he becomes a free agent. They believe KC was better than him being a 38th pick.

Reactions: Volprofch05
does not hurt they (him and JA) have a very strong off-the-court relationship. That cant be taken for granted especially since both guys play the same position. Also Kennedy has shown how productive he can be in a guard-heavy rotation.

Yeah, I agree that it says a lot about Ja that he would vouch for someone who plays the same position.

Reactions: pimo1
Many questioned his decision to turn pro and felt he could use another year with NIL. Well ladies and gentlemen he just signed the highest paid guaranteed contract for a second round pick 4.9 million guaranteed on a 4 yr 7.1 million dollar contract.
Does this mean he gets the full $7.1 if he remains on the Grizzlies active roster for all 4 years as opposed to two way contracts or getting cut? Just curious how the guaranteed vs. non guaranteed works

Does this mean he gets the full $7.1 if he remains on the Grizzlies active roster for all 4 years as opposed to two way contracts or getting cut? Just curious how the guaranteed vs. non guaranteed works

My understanding is that players can only be on a two-way contract for two years with the same team. So, that would be the first two for KC, where he can only play in 50 games. After that, he is under contract unless they waive him.

Reactions: LeannaVol
It probably came out harsher than you meant, but i don't consider congratulating a former Vol and wishing him future success 'wasted time'.

No not harsher than I intended. My feelings on the "one and doners" is that they were "rented players only". Not ever intended to be "student athletes". The only reason for them being in the university environment was as/is a tryout or evaluation against really good competition for the pro leagues to see without spending much or any of their money. Now the "MONEY",, they will be payed, along with the endorsement money and public exposure that will help the pro team market them if they do make it. NO, to me they were not and never intended to be Vols for more than one, maybe two years let alone Vols for Life for us to follow along their career paths. Just footnotes in the record books of real student athletes as far as I am concerned.

Awful take. Placing you on fan probation effective immediately.

That is OK with me. I am not a fan of "one and doners" and feel they belittle the "playing for love of game and school and this type of BS that I have grown up and lived with for all my life.

No not harsher than I intended. My feelings on the "one and doners" is that they were "rented players only". Not ever intended to be "student athletes". The only reason for them being in the university environment was as/is a tryout or evaluation against really good competition for the pro leagues to see without spending much or any of their money. Now the "MONEY",, they will be payed, along with the endorsement money and public exposure that will help the pro team market them if they do make it. NO, to me they were not and never intended to be Vols for more than one, maybe two years let alone Vols for Life for us to follow along their career paths. Just footnotes in the record books of real student athletes as far as I am concerned.
That is OK with me. I am not a fan of "one and doners" and feel they belittle the "playing for love of game and school and this type of BS that I have grown up and lived with for all my life.
Is it lonely up there on your high horse of delusion and misery? How pathetic do you have to be to make the time and effort to come in a thread specifically about Chandler signing an NBA contract just to say he doesn't deserve the attention or praise?

Reactions: StarRaider
If you want to see people who play for the love of the game, go to the YMCA (in that case you can also participate, which is even better). We would never have offered scholarships to begin with if college basketball weren’t in some way transactional.

Would be pretty easy to make the case that they love the game much more than you. If they are getting paid to play in the NBA. They committed to the amount of work it takes to be the top 0.1% of players in the entire world. MOST people will never put it the amount of work it takes to do that in any profession. Especially Chandler whose height doesn’t help him. Takes quite a bit of love for something to commit to doing all that for most people.

Last edited:
Lmao what a take.

Enjoy the view from your high horse I guess. Imagine saying someone like Kennedy Chandler isn't a "real" Vol.

Couldn't be me. Not for a kid who cried literal tears when the season came to an end after he left everything out on the court.

Is it lonely up there on your high horse of delusion and misery? How pathetic do you have to be to make the time and effort to come in a thread specifically about Chandler signing an NBA contract just to say he doesn't deserve the attention or praise?

I am in no misery sitting on a high horse. I just feel that VOLNATION is for VOL in programs attention. Now and then an insight into a former VOL is alright for keeping up with former players. Chandler has done nothing as a pro yet. I will wait til he does and then comment to anyone in the conversation or thread on here, "yeah, he was a one and doner".

I am in no misery sitting on a high horse. I just feel that VOLNATION is for VOL in programs attention. Now and then an insight into a former VOL is alright for keeping up with former players. Chandler has done nothing as a pro yet. I will wait til he does and then comment to anyone in the conversation or thread on here, "yeah, he was a one and doner".

Would be pretty easy to make the case that they love the game much more than you. If they are getting paid to play in the NBA. They committed to the amount of work it takes to be the top 0.1% of players in the entire world. MOST people will never put it the amount of work it takes to do that in any profession. Especially Chandler whose height doesn’t help him. Takes quite a bit of love for something to commit to doing all that for most people.

I'am sure he does love the game more than I. But the players I love are the guys who know they have about as much chance playing as a pro as the do jumping over the moon, but play for the love of the game and competition.

I'am sure he does love the game more than I. But the players I love are the guys who know they have about as much chance playing as a pro as the do jumping over the moon, but play for the love of the game and competition.

My understanding is that players can only be on a two-way contract for two years with the same team. So, that would be the first two for KC, where he can only play in 50 games. After that, he is under contract unless they waive him.
He's not on a two way contract. He's on a standard NBA contract. He was just drafted in the 2nd round, big difference. The current two ways for the Grizzlies are Vince Williams (who was also picked in the second round) and Kenneth Lofton from LA tech.

I believe the first two years of KC's deal are fully guaranteed, partially guaranteed year 3, team option year 4. That's pretty much the same as a first round pick as far as guarantees and length. He'll be only making slightly less than what TyTy Washington makes who was drafted at 29.

You keep using the term “student athlete” like it exists in major college football and basketball. 90% of these guys haven’t been true student athletes in decades. I’ve always hated the one and done thing and criticized Kentucky for it for years for ruining college basketball. None of this is your father’s college sports anymore and it doesn’t matter if we like it or don’t like it. Watch it for what it is (paid professionals) or do something else. Maybe watch D3 sports if you want to watch student athletes. Those are the choices.

Reactions: savannahfan
You keep using the term “student athlete” like it exists in major college football and basketball. 90% of these guys haven’t been true student athletes in decades. I’ve always hated the one and done thing and criticized Kentucky for it for years for ruining college basketball. None of this is your father’s college sports anymore and it doesn’t matter if we like it or don’t like it. Watch it for what it is (paid professionals) or do something else. Maybe watch D3 sports if you want to watch student athletes. Those are the choices.
Oh by the way, all of these guys are “rented players” now whether they stay one year or 4 years. Doesn’t matter anymore.

Random thought, people like to try and blame Barnes for Chandler falling, what about Juwan Howard and Caleb Houstan? Both were projected lottery picks, both went in the second round.

Random thought, people like to try and blame Barnes for Chandler falling, what about Juwan Howard and Caleb Houstan? Both were projected lottery picks, both went in the second round.
People blaming Barnes for Kennedy falling to the second round don’t have a clue about basketball. Last I checked Barnes didn’t make KC 6 feet tall. He got exactly what he wanted at UT- tough coaching. And I am certain he would sign up for it again.

Those people are crazy. There are 30 human beings on planet earth selected in the first round of the NBA draft each year. It’s kind of tough competition, lol. Many more than that are “projected” as first rounders.

Reactions: MinisterofDef#92

I agree with you 99.99%! The bold underscored is in error though. IT's not my father's college sports so much as it is mine. My father's college sports was the mid 30's. His generation lost much of there young adult normal life to WW2 and many never seem to put much "stock" in college life after WW2 and the Korean police action. My college sports (UT) started on saturday afternoon radio from Jackson Tn. in the late 40's early 50's and in the Commercial Appeal (Memphis always did a better job covering Ole Miss than it did the far away UT.) The Nashville Tennessean was the best for UT coverage. I can't remember the when the first UT game TV game I saw was (think it was UT-Ala around 58). Likely saw one earlier but this one sticks out.

VN Store

Back