Spyre Questions

BlinghamptonVol

Well, it looks like college football is going the way of the biggest check for teams trying to get over the hump. With our less than respectable recent history, we’re gonna need to pony up some cash to attract good players.

I have some questions that hopefully everyone finds helpful:

For every dollar that goes to Spyre, what percentage gets to players? What goes towards promotions and marketing? Does someone get paid to run Spyre? If so, how much do they make?

What NIL opportunities does Spyre provide? Does a company contact Spyre and ask for merchandise/appearances?

As a contributor, do I receive anything other than helping the Vols?

Is there a board than oversees how everything operates?

How are players contracted through Spyre - yearly contracts, pay for play, etc?

What happens to a player that signs with Spyre but then goes to a different school? Either before enrolling or transferring at some point?

Does Spyre work for all student athletes at UT, male and female, all sports?

Do our athletes all receive a monthly base pay through Spyre, or is it only through contracts?

If a player enters the portal, but doesn’t immediately unenroll or go somewhere else (like TooToo for a while there), when does the money stop? What if they withdraw from the portal and continue to compete for the Vols?

If y’all think of more questions, feel free to add them!

And thanks for a reply from our friends associated with Spyre!

I'm not associated with Spyre in any way, but having paid attention the last couple of months, I can answer most of your questions. Here goes:

For every dollar that goes to Spyre, what percentage gets to players? What goes towards promotions and marketing? Does someone get paid to run Spyre? If so, how much do they make?

Spyre have said 90% of all contributions go to the athletes. The other 10% are for operating expenses of the collective. I'm sure that includes salaries for the folks who work there. How much they each make, that's kind of a personal question; don't think they'd tell you that.

What NIL opportunities does Spyre provide? Does a company contact Spyre and ask for merchandise/appearances?

Spyre is about providing opportunities to Vols fans who contribute to the cause, giving them the chance to meet our athletes and get merchandise (signed balls, jerseyes, etc.). The bigger your monthly contribution, the more often and more valuable the opportunities you will have as a fan, both socializing with the athletes and being given opportunities to buy signed gear and other merchandise.

Yes, see previous answer. More important, see Spyre's web site.

Don't know this one.

It's not pay for play; that would be against NCAA rules. The contracts are multi-year, with clauses that cover if the athlete ceases to be able to meet his performance requirements. Most specifically, each athlete's contract requires him to attend a certain number of fan-mingling, autograph-signing and other kinds of public events with Spyre contributors, but probably also non-public meetings, like maybe weekly operations meetings during the off-season, and Sunday merch-signing periods during the season. The athlete is not required to attend any particular university, but he will need to live in Knoxville to make all his work events. The contract does require him to be an active FBS football player.

What happens to a player that signs with Spyre but then goes to a different school? Either before enrolling or transferring at some point?

The player would no longer be able to make his work schedule events, in Knoxville, so he would be in breach of the contract. I'm sure there are detailed clauses laying out whether the player owes money back to Spyre, how immediately the contract's payouts stop, etc. Seems pretty likely it would be a major penalty for a player to breach the contract unilaterally.

I don't know this one for fact, but seriously doubt it. I think the AD could certainly ask Spyre to consider a particular athlete or group of athletes if they wanted, but Spyre is independent of the University. So Title IX does not apply. I would imagine Spyre is primarily focused on the $$ sports: football, men and women's basketball, and maybe baseball.

Do our athletes all receive a monthly base pay through Spyre, or is it only through contracts?

Only contracts. Each contract is a specific business relationship between Spyre and the athlete. There is no collective deal, at all.

If a player enters the portal, but doesn’t immediately unenroll or go somewhere else (like TooToo for a while there), when does the money stop? What if they withdraw from the portal and continue to compete for the Vols?

Good question, don't know.

~ ~ ~

Here's Spyre's web page. Spend 10-15 minutes browsing around it, and you'll see many of these answers for yourself, right from the horse's mouth. https://www.spyresports.com/

Last edited:
I'm not associated with Spyre in any way, but having paid attention the last couple of months, I can answer most of your questions. Here goes:

Spyre have said 90% of all contributions go to the athletes. The other 10% are for operating expenses of the collective. I'm sure that includes salaries for the folks who work there. How much they each make, that's kind of a personal question; don't think they'd tell you that.

I would think part of that 10% would go to the manufacturing/production of the shirts etc.. that have the players number/likeness on them to be sold.

Reactions: VFL-82-JP

Spyre is about providing opportunities to Vols fans who contribute to the cause, giving them the chance to meet our athletes and get merchandise (signed balls, jerseyes, etc.). The bigger your monthly contribution, the more often and more valuable the opportunities you will have as a fan, both socializing with the athletes and being given opportunities to buy signed gear and other merchandise.

Don't know this one.

It's not pay for play; that would be against NCAA rules. The contracts are multi-year, with clauses that cover if the athlete ceases to be able to meet his performance requirements. Most specifically, each athlete's contract requires him to attend a certain number of fan-mingling, autograph-signing and other kinds of public events with Spyre contributors, but probably also non-public meetings, like maybe weekly operations meetings during the off-season, and Sunday merch-signing periods during the season. The athlete is not required to attend any particular university, but he will need to live in Knoxville to make all his work events. The contract does require him to be an active FBS football player.

The player would no longer be able to make his work schedule events, in Knoxville, so he would be in breach of the contract. I'm sure there are detailed clauses laying out whether the player owes money back to Spyre, how immediately the contract's payouts stop, etc. Seems pretty likely it would be a major penalty for a player to breach the contract unilaterally.

I don't know this one for fact, but seriously doubt it. I think the AD could certainly ask Spyre to consider a particular athlete or group of athletes if they wanted, but Spyre is independent of the University. So Title IX does not apply. I would imagine Spyre is primarily focused on the $$ sports: football, men and women's basketball, and maybe baseball.

Only contracts. Each contract is a specific business relationship between Spyre and the athlete. There is no collective deal, at all.

~ ~ ~

Here's Spyre's web page. Spend 10-15 minutes browsing around it, and you'll see many of these answers for yourself, right from the horse's mouth. https://www.spyresports.com/
I donate $10 a month. Not a lot, Think about 80% goes to team functions & players in football, men & womens basketball, baseball & womens softball. Would like to see more transparency. If we’re going to buy players, let’s buy the best. You can contribute as little as $5 a month. Is that worth beating Bama & GA?

I would think part of that 10% would go to the manufacturing/production of the shirts etc.. that have the players number/likeness on them to be sold.
Would think that money comes from TV revenue. Not NIL. Not an insider so have no idea.

Would think that money comes from TV revenue. Not NIL. Not an insider so have no idea.
What TV revenue, Defcon?

TV contracts are between media and conferences/schools. That's one huge money cycle.

Spyre and the athletes are an entirely different money cycle: bringing fans/boosters and athletes together. Trading access and merch for contributions.

Two whole different pools of money.

That’s going to be separate through Alumni Hall or through a retailer. Spyre does provide shirts for members or maybe as signed merchandise, but they aren’t producing them. Spyre may help athletes get those deals, but based on my knowledge, Spyre is just the marketing side and does not itself offer retail deals.

What TV revenue, Defcon?

TV contracts are between media and conferences/schools. That's one huge money cycle.

Spyre and the athletes are an entirely different money cycle: bringing fans/boosters and athletes together. Trading access and merch for contributions.

Hey VFL-82-JP, thought TN was getting around $40m from tv revenue. Am I wrong. ESPN keeping all of it? Agree Spyre is separate. If they’re not paying money to play, we don’t stand a chance against tOSU, USC, Clemson, Bama, GA & A&M.

Hey VFL-82-JP, thought TN was getting around $40m from tv revenue. Am I wrong. ESPN keeping all of it? Agree Spyre is separate. If they’re not paying money to play, we don’t stand a chance against tOSU, USC, Clemson, Bama, GA & A&M.

The athletic department has nothing to do with paying for NIL. Any money they receive from tv revenue, ticket sales, merchandise sales, etc. go to the athletic department for their own expenses.

Yes, the University gets TV money each year (I think all through the SEC). But that's the University.

The University is not a business partner with Spyre. So there would be no way for TV money to get from the University to Spyre. See what I mean?

Edit: here, I drew a picture that might help explain how the two circles of money never touch each other, different groups involved in each loop:

1657068006313.png

I should probably have drawn these to scale...if I had, the loop on the right would be five to ten times bigger than the one on the left. Very roughly speaking, $50M-$60M is flowing through the right loop each year. Spyre hopes that eventually the left hand loop runs about $15M/year. So far, it's probably less than half that.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Let’s do everything to make TN the best program in the country. Who deserves it more than us???????
Then everyone need to put pressure on UTAD AND Chancellor to show some courage and free up the reigns on coaches AGAIN!

Don't know this one.

~ ~ ~

Thank you for this well thought out response. It is very helpful!

A separate NIL question: When ESPN promotes UT vs Bama and has Hooker highlighted on the screen, shouldn’t ESPN pay Hooker? Or at least some of the TV contract go specifically to Hooker instead of just the Athletic Department? Not trying to take money from our AD, just wanting our guys to get paid.

What TV revenue, Defcon?

A separate NIL question: When ESPN promotes UT vs Bama and has Hooker highlighted on the screen, shouldn’t ESPN pay Hooker? Or at least some of the TV contract go specifically to Hooker instead of just the Athletic Department? Not trying to take money from our AD, just wanting our guys to get paid.
Good point. But I think when Hooker is highlighted on ESPN, his brand becomes more relevant. Sure Jr Samples would want him to help sale used cars. Just call BR549. Young guys google it.

Reactions: BlinghamptonVol
I doubt 90% is going to athletic dept. Closer to 80%, Do believe Spyre is trying to help TN. I donate, but not a lot. I would like to see more transparency as to where the money goes.

Yeah, I think that's the shoe that has still yet to drop in NIL.

For all the progress that's been made, the players' names, images, and likenesses are still being used (to one extent or another) to generate TV revenue and excitement about the product being aired on Saturday, without the player being compensated personally.

Watch carefully how they're doing it, though. I bet you see very little advertising using player NIL these days. The networks can report on sports news by showing clips of players performing...but when they cut to a commercial about the Vols vs Tide game, Saturday at 2:30 pm...the advertisement will be entirely free of players' NIL. So, formally speaking, the players were not used in the advertisements.

As semi-public figures, the players can't expect to be compensated for their NIL being included in the news. No more than Biden or Trump can demand to be paid a dollar every time their face is used in a newspaper or on TV. As long as ESPN, CBS, and the like don't include the players NIL in the actual ads, I don't think the rest counts.

But we'll see how that plays out in coming years.

Yes, females get NIL money. There was an article recently about at least 5 of the lady’s on the basketball team getting SPYRE NIL deals. Plus they just recently got a couple very good players through the transfer portal. Don’t know for sure but I would be surprised if NIL didn’t have something to do with that.
Why not look at their website? If you search their website, you will see an article about the Lady Vols.

https://www.spyresports.com/

I doubt 90% is going to athletic dept. Closer to 80%, Do believe Spyre is trying to help TN. I donate, but not a lot. I would like to see more transparency as to where the money goes.

0% goes to the AD. If you mean athletes and not athletics, then @VFL-82-JP already mentioned that 90% of Spyre subscriptions goes to athletes. Your request for transparency is a pipe dream.

As for the question about merchandise, that's not what Spyre does. They broker licensing and partnerships (while were discussing financials, it is very likely they also get a cut of these proceeds like an agent typically would). They aren't a t-shirt printing business...

I would like to know about the following:

If we are going to pay 18-21 year olds to represent us, are they going to be held accountable if they get into trouble, more specifically is there a behavioral expectation clause in the contract?

I would also like these multi-million dollar contracts to be more transparent. Spell out how many engagements per year are expected.

How often are payments dispersed?

Is it bi-weekly/monthly/annually?

Is all the money guaranteed?

Is every contract unique or is it mostly boilerplate with only the amount of the contract malleable?

How about if the kid is a bust? Do we still owe them millions if they come here an don't contribute?

VN Store

Back