New Lindsey Nelson Stadium | Baseball Premium Seating Opportunities

That's a good discussion topic.

Apparently, TV said on the radio the other day that the new stadium will have ~ 6,500 permanent seats with ~ 2,000 more tickets that could be sold for big games in standing areas.

Thoughts on that potential seating capacity? More, less or just right?
They needed to extend the upper level seating on out past the dugouts. There’s no substitute for seats in that area for atmosphere. The upper level seating proposed looks limited and awkward to access. Should have also figured a way to have some balcony seating off the wall of the practice facility.

They needed to extend the upper level seating on out past the dugouts. There’s no substitute for seats in that area for atmosphere. The upper level seating proposed looks limited and awkward to access. Should have also figured a way to have some balcony seating off the wall of the practice facility.
Like both suggestions. the balcony seating off the practice field could be like Wrigley but just in a different location.

That's a good discussion topic.

Apparently, TV said on the radio the other day that the new stadium will have ~ 6,500 permanent seats with ~ 2,000 more tickets that could be sold for big games in standing areas.

Thoughts on that potential seating capacity? More, less or just right?

It seems to me it could be designed as proposed EXCEPT make the standing room areas used for more of the picnic type areas BUT designed to convert to bleacher type seating for SEC and post season. None of those sold as season tickets to maintain flexibility of when to add the seating. Some of those PGA type temps should be available most of the year. In the old days Stokely had that flexibility for track and field. Both would support more permanent concession and restroom areas. I am not sure what our usable footprint really is, but saw a bunch of on campus stadiums with too many berm areas. Maybe something cool like terraced risers with properly spaced center mounts for drop in picnic tables that when desired the mounts also supported solid and secure drop in bleachers. Have not figured out the storage of the changeable pieces, but we have an engineering school over there to work it out. Maybe every other row is fixed and the unfixed row converts from table height to the matching drop in seating. So a four top is side by side. I always noticed in Neyland that if they raised the row in front of me to the right height it would have worked for more than a foot rest.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Reactions: Jax_Vol
The most recent renderings previously shown didn't look like anywhere near 20K seats. Is this a new design they're coming up with?

Big Jim, Bill, and Jimmy are known to get most of their ideas from VolNation. So, I just doubled the estimates to plant the seed in the Pilot Flying J executive management office. If we can sell Baker Mayfield to someone, that should cover about three levels of seats all the way around.

Same approach we used to get Thompson Bowling Arena to be double the size of Stokley Athletic Center. :)

Last edited:
Thanks for the tip on the inside marketing plan! 😎

Yaw! Kinda like the stock market...maybe if we whisper 20k, we'll get 10-12k.

We need at least two layers down the sides. Need to keep patio areas in outfield, but weave some seats around, above, beyond without blocking the sunning co-eds. Maybe a big water slide in right center for Smokey to slide down after homers.

Unsure where to place the new Haslam fountains...

Yes the gaps over the “plazas”, while symmetrical in the early design, is an idiotic boneheaded waste of space and does nothing for atmosphere. Also, seating needs to be extended down to field and put real dugouts in. Frankly I don’t believe the preliminary design is very creative or generates an amazing atmosphere. The fences need to be pushed back, adding more outfield seats and ability for fans to loop the entire park with outfield party decks is a no-brainer, unless you’re a blue hair or admin.

I have sent my suggestions to UTAD and I hope you all will too!!! They need to know what fans like/dislike, expect, or want in the upgrades!!!

Yes the gaps over the “plazas”, while symmetrical in the early design, is an idiotic boneheaded waste of space and does nothing for atmosphere. Also, seating needs to be extended down to field and put real dugouts in. Frankly I don’t believe the preliminary design is very creative or generates an amazing atmosphere. The fences need to be pushed back, adding more outfield seats and ability for fans to loop the entire park with outfield party decks is a no-brainer, unless you’re a blue hair or admin.

I have sent my suggestions to UTAD and I hope you all will too!!! They need to know what fans like/dislike, expect, or want in the upgrades!!!
Genuinely asking not being contrarian, but why are you so hell bent on having “dugout“ dugouts? They have no bearing on the game or atmosphere. You also beat home “field-level” seats; the concrete at your feet on the bottom row can’t be more than 2 ft off the playing surface. Bama and UGA’s first rows are like 6-8 ft off the ground.

Genuinely asking not being contrarian, but why are you so hell bent on having “dugout“ dugouts? They have no bearing on the game or atmosphere. You also beat home “field-level” seats; the concrete at your feet on the bottom row can’t be more than 2 ft off the playing surface. Bama and UGA’s first rows are like 6-8 ft off the ground.
Actually they have a major impact on the atmosphere because fans are further away from field level! Have you ever watched the baseball game in the first five rows? They don’t exist in that stadium and is very noticeable!

Actually they have a major impact on the atmosphere because fans are further away from field level! Have you ever watched the baseball game in the first five rows? They don’t exist in that stadium and is very noticeable!
Yes I have watched from there, I was in row 3-4 in the LSU Supers and my season tickets were row 8 down the RF line. I don’t know what you mean by they don’t exist. The first row is 2-3 ft off the field, that’s damn near field level. I don’t want to watch a game from the 1st row where my head is on par with the players waist who’s standing in the on-deck circle. This is too high off the field?

Attachments

• B88777CF-6728-4640-901A-679BC3B3D395.jpeg
    B88777CF-6728-4640-901A-679BC3B3D395.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 21

I notice most professional baseball stadiums have dugouts that have their floor level a couple of feet or so below field level. Why is that?

Thanks. Looks to me like if everyone has a good view of home plate, we don't need to put the dugouts in holes. IF we're going to keep the same seats in the main seating bowl, it would make no sense to me to dig out the ground to place the dugouts into holes. That creates drainage problems with the need to pipe out water that may get into the dugout, and other problems. But if we're going to create a different seating bowl, then maybe it would be appropriate to dig them out.

I hope to get up to LNS after finishing my renovation project here at the house. Been awhile since LNS regular attendee back while studying engineering at The Hill. Some of my lessons learned from Braves stadium are; plenty of shade and cover, drinking water stations (free), give folks an inch or two extra width of seats, the protective screen keeping a 100 mph ball from hitting someone in the head is mandatory and may need to extend that screen to protect cars in the outfield. Put a big screen and food service for the folks who can’t get tickets in a tailgating area. Proud to be an Alum, love Vol sports, GBO!

The following was included in a recent campus construction update. The comment "The university plans to initiate the design phase for renovations... in fall 2022," doesn't exactly make it sound like updates are imminent. The extent of construction projects that are coming online soon is pretty impressive, though.

Projects Enhance UT Experience and Reach

Projects in the planning phase

Lindsey-Nelson-Stadium-renovations.jpg.jpeg

An artist rendering shows a bird’s-eye view of the new Lindsey Nelson Stadium. Upgrades include expanded seating for fans, updated team spaces, and infrastructure improvements.
The university plans to initiate the design phase for renovations to Lindsey Nelson Stadium, home of Tennessee baseball, in fall 2022. The project will include expanded seating and club spaces to enhance the fan experience, upgrades to team spaces, and infrastructure improvements.

This is funny. I would make it checkerboard around the walls and the green would be orange and brown white.
TBH, I don't care the color. Not an aesthetics guy as long as it is turf and you can play and practice almost every day.
Lmao. You and those damn checkerboards again.

eta…I’m way behind. Lol

The following was included in a recent campus construction update. The comment "The university plans to initiate the design phase for renovations... in fall 2022," doesn't exactly make it sound like updates are imminent. The extent of construction projects that are coming online soon is pretty impressive, though.

An artist rendering shows a bird’s-eye view of the new Lindsey Nelson Stadium. Upgrades include expanded seating for fans, updated team spaces, and infrastructure improvements.
The university plans to initiate the design phase for renovations to Lindsey Nelson Stadium, home of Tennessee baseball, in fall 2022. The project will include expanded seating and club spaces to enhance the fan experience, upgrades to team spaces, and infrastructure improvements.
Thanks for the update. I can’t wait to see the “new and improved” LNS but assume it will be 2024 before we see the changes. The 2 new dorms seem like they need to be fast tracked and while they’re at it, add about 2 more. Lol. I guess it’s a good problem to have. 👍🍊😀👊

Reactions: chuckiepoo and MAD

Looks like the same rendering we've seen before. The question is: What does it mean "the University plans to initiate the design phase ......"?

For most projects that is multi-stepped:

1) Concept Plans - 30% complete (looks like those are already done)
1A) ) Jurisdiction Review & approval
2) Design Documents - 65% complete
2A) Jurisdiction Review and Approval
3) Contract Documents - 100% complete
3A) Jurisdictional Review and Approval
4) Bonding (Probably waived here)
5) Bidding Phase and Contract Award
6) Construction Phase

Hopefully, for the sake of time, they have already received at least informal review and approval of the Concept Plans and are working on the DD's and will submit this fall. If they really fast track it, they might start some phases of construction in summer, 23, with the bulk to be built in summer 24. That's an "edcuated" guess at the earliest completion time, UNLESS they have been working behind the scences to submit the DD's and CD's for review already.

VN Store

Back