‘23 JUCO WR Malik Benson (Alabama commit)

The problem apparently with Kasper was that we made Tate a far bigger offer than we did with him, and he wanted more than what we offered. Then we lose Tate and Benson. I’d be willing to bet the staff wishes they could do that one over again
I wouldn't be surprised either. But it's recruiting and at the time you don't know what you don't know..🤷‍♂️

Reactions: Glitch
The problem apparently with Kasper was that we made Tate a far bigger offer than we did with him, and he wanted more than what we offered. Then we lose Tate and Benson. I’d be willing to bet the staff wishes they could do that one over again
If Kasper had waited, his offer might have gone up, but he decided to reclassify and go to Oregon.

The other side of all of this is that we will most likely see new offers after the high school football season. A new round of highlights for the coaches to pour over and evaluate and find kids that develop this season. Getting players committed early and signed during the ESP is nice, but the second season of recruiting could be just as important. Possibly more important at certain positions.

Reactions: Volstar65
Not an insider, but Kasper also wanted to reclassify to the class of '22. I don't know if our staff was on board with that having taken 4 WR in the class already.
Did he even broach reclassifying to our coaches? I really think it came down to NIL, and I think Oregon valued him more.

Reactions: BelieveTheHeup93
Did he even broach reclassifying to our coaches? I really think it came down to NIL, and I think Oregon valued him more.
Just throwing out another possibility that made sense in the Kasper saga. I know the rumor was that his dad was pissed about the offer made by Spyre, but that was never substantiated. He wasn't from Cali, so he would have had to reclassify to get any money this year.

I don't care about Kasper. Here is my theory; examine all cases going forward and let me know later what y'all think. Everyone raising the names of either Kasper or Tate at yhis point is s concern troll.
You know we haven't had a commitment in 2 whole days so it's time for VN to either freak out about every remaining recruit or rehash talk of those we lost.

This benson kid seems really good. Going to hate it if he announces bama.

Lol. He is no better than any of Bamas stud WRs they have had in the past 5 years or so. I will never understand why Vol fans say “it’s going to suck to have to face him.” We face the best of the best every single year.

WRs aren’t worth anything near what QBs are.
He wasn’t wanting QB money. He was just wanting something closer to what Tate was getting. I mean we’re apparently giving a corner that can’t cover with 3 SEC offers an NIL deal before he even steps foot on campus. I think bumping Kasper’s deal up by a couple 100k would’ve been worth it, but that’s just my opinion

He wasn’t wanting QB money. He was just wanting something closer to what Tate was getting. I mean we’re apparently giving a corner that can’t cover with 3 SEC offers an NIL deal before he even steps foot on campus. I think bumping Kasper’s deal up by a couple 100k would’ve been worth it, but that’s just my opinion

Lol. You claim Conyer can’t cover. Dude get real. This defensive staff feels otherwise. Also, seeings how we have no clue what the NiL deal is, if there even is one, it’s a moot point. Kasper also wanted to reclassify. That played into it as well.

You are talking to the wrong folks and complaining about the wrong folks. Spyre has to make decisions independent of the program. You may scoff but the NCAA would love to drop the hammer on UT over NIL and especially on the heels of Pruitt's Happy Meals.

Spyre apparently made a decision to offer these guys whatever they were offered... which none of us actually know to include the media that's speculating.

I really liked Kasper. I liked him and Mizell more than Tate. But ultimately you do all you can then recruits make their decisions. UT is shooting pretty high... but apparently not unreasonably high since these guys are giving the Vols strong consideration.

You are talking to the wrong folks and complaining about the wrong folks. Spyre has to make decisions independent of the program. You may scoff but the NCAA would love to drop the hammer on UT over NIL and especially on the heels of Pruitt's Happy Meals.

Spyre apparently made a decision to offer these guys whatever they were offered... which none of us actually know to include the media that's speculating.

I really liked Kasper. I liked him and Mizell more than Tate. But ultimately you do all you can then recruits make their decisions. UT is shooting pretty high... but apparently not unreasonably high since these guys are giving the Vols strong consideration.
Agree. No one knows for sure on these deals but supposedly Tate was offered more through Tennessee’s NIL than Ohio State. The offer just got close enough. Heupel needs another successful year before I think we really see the benefits of NIL here. Right now a lot of kids are just using Tennessee for leverage in getting better offers where they want to go.

Lol. You claim Conyer can’t cover. Dude get real. This defensive staff feels otherwise. Also, seeings how we have no clue what the NiL deal is, if there even is one, it’s a moot point. Kasper also wanted to reclassify. That played into it as well.
Yeah and coaches never make bad evaluations. Have you actually watched his “highlights” without orange colored glasses on? His jr highlights are 3:30 long and half of those are on offense. Nearly 90% of his defensive highlights are of him making tackles on slants he gave up and getting burnt but bailed out on poorly thrown balls that allow him to recover. Maybe the person that put them together didn’t think of putting in clips of him locking guys down and not getting thrown at, but if the minute and a half worth of defensive clips on his Hudl are his “highlights” which are usually the best 1/4-1/5 of a player’s season I’d hate to see what the rest looks like. There’s a reason why his only SEC offers are from the 2 worst teams in the SEC historically speaking and Tennessee. I hope I’m wrong, but I don’t understand why this fan base is so excited about him at the corner position especially early in his career. I could maybe see safety, but not on at corner in the SEC. A future starting corner in the SEC should be dominant at the HS level in Kentucky and he simply isn’t. That’s really not my point in the post though. I just don’t understand why we’re apparently getting in a bidding war against Kentucky for him. Seems like that money would be put to far better use on Jackson, Matthews, or Gibson

Yeah and coaches never make bad evaluations. Have you actually watched his “highlights” without orange colored glasses on? His jr highlights are 3:30 long and half of those are on offense. Nearly 90% of his defensive highlights are of him making tackles on slants he gave up and getting burnt but bailed out on poorly thrown balls that allow him to recover. Maybe the person that put them together didn’t think of putting in clips of him locking guys down and not getting thrown at, but if the minute and a half worth of defensive clips on his Hudl are his “highlights” which are usually the best 1/4-1/5 of a player’s season I’d hate to see what the rest looks like. There’s a reason why his only SEC offers are from the 2 worst teams in the SEC historically speaking and Tennessee. I hope I’m wrong, but I don’t understand why this fan base is so excited about him at the corner position especially early in his career. I could maybe see safety, but not on at corner in the SEC. A future starting corner in the SEC should be dominant at the HS level in Kentucky and he simply isn’t. That’s really not my point in the post though. I just don’t understand why we’re apparently getting in a bidding war against Kentucky for him. Seems like that money would be put to far better use on Jackson, Matthews, or Gibson

You’ve got to think that the coaches have given him a good evaluation in camp, and trust that they know what a good SEC corner looks like. Fine if you don’t, and you may be right, I was convinced that Burrell would be a solid corner and that hasn’t exactly worked out to this point.
But ultimately, it’s on the coaches to make an evaluation and then to make offers like their jobs depend on it, which they do.

Reactions: SweetasSoda

Can you show the proof we are getting in a huge bidding war for Conyer? See the thing is you are using your opinion. Which you are definitely entitled to no doubt. And while coaches definitely make mistakes in evaluations, which is more likely? A coach at a major D1 program, whom has put several guys into the NFL, or an anonymous poster in a message board who has never coached a day of football at the D1 level?

You’ve got to think that the coaches have given him a good evaluation in camp, and trust that they know what a good SEC corner looks like. Fine if you don’t, and you may be right, I was convinced that Burrell would be a solid corner and that hasn’t exactly worked out to this point.
But ultimately, it’s on the coaches to make an evaluation and then to make offers like their jobs depend on it, which they do.

Consider that Burrell was not recruited by Heupels staff. And sometimes guys for some reasons just don’t work out. The poster I responded to seems to think we are in a huge bidding war for Conyer. I haven’t seen that and I highly doubt it’s true.

Consider that Burrell was not recruited by Heupels staff. And sometimes guys for some reasons just don’t work out. The poster I responded to seems to think we are in a huge bidding war for Conyer. I haven’t seen that and I highly doubt it’s true.
Yeah, I knew that Burrell was a Pruitt signee, my point was simply that MY assumption is that the coaches have likely given him a fair evaluation in camp and that they know what an SEC athlete/corner looks like.
It’d be hard to project how any high school athlete projects into the SEC.

They’re going to hit on some and miss on some.

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain
I wouldn’t lose sleep over Kasper. He was likely valued as the 3rd or 4th WR on the board. Personally, I’d rather have Tate, Seldon, and Benson in that order. Normally I’d be more in favor of a position specific player, like Kasper, over a guy like Seldon, but I think this staff is creative enough to use Seldon like Deebo Samuel or Antonio Gibson.

VN Store

Back