The 2nd career adventures of Yankee

When this environment started, I wouldn't allow any of my people to sell anything over MSRP. In a very short time I discovered there were several people buying my hot product and immediately selling it to Carmax or other stores for more than they paid for it. I had to raise my prices to avoid it.
I can understand that. The only new inventory for sale at this dealership was stuff that had a lot of aftermarket add-ons (beefed up off road trucks) and a smattering of slow sellers. I asked a guy about some of the more popular models and was told all that stuff sells online before it hits the lot.

Between interest rates and awful supply, I am definitely holding off till mid 2023 before I try to get a new daily. Doesn’t help that the cars I am looking at would have a market adjustment pre-pandemic. 🥴

Reactions: malinoisvol
I can understand that. The only new inventory for sale at this dealership was stuff that had a lot of aftermarket add-ons (beefed up off road trucks) and a smattering of slow sellers. I asked a guy about some of the more popular models and was told all that stuff sells online before it hits the lot.
We got 8 vehicles in the other day. All but 2 were sold already. The other 2 are now gone as well

Reactions: VolunteerHillbilly
Money only gets you so far.

A whole hell of a lot less stress elsewhere
I stopped selling cars because of the hours and stress. Went to work for a credit union doing loan underwriting for the indirect lending department that handles loans from dealerships.

I’m not making quite as much money, but i have much more free time and much better benefits. This is actually the first year I’ve been able to get season tickets to football since i used to have to work every Saturday

Reactions: VolNExile
F&I certainly multiplies the stress level....and hours worked.

During the first 3-6 months of F&I, everyone is drowning. It’s not you. It’s the job. With good training and support it gets easier.
That said, It’s a tough tough road and I don’t fault anyone for tapping out.

Reactions: txbo
During the first 3-6 months of F&I, everyone is drowning. It’s not you. It’s the job. With good training and support it gets easier.
That said, It’s a tough tough road and I don’t fault anyone for tapping out.
It has nothing to do with the F&I part (its not that difficult, and not really all that different than being a salesman, except you can get in a lot more trouble). It’s the industry period. It doesn’t matter what position you hold, the hours suck. Period.

It has nothing to do with the F&I part (its not that difficult, and not really all that different than being a salesman, except you can get in a lot more trouble). It’s the industry period. It doesn’t matter what position you hold, the hours suck. Period.

The pay to suck ratio s rarely balanced. I got away from the in dealership part of the business 15/16 years ago and have worked with vendor partners or consulting ever since. I’m general, the in dealership culture of the business is terrible. Like I said, if you have another way to go, Godspeed and good luck

I can get you work. High pay. Short hours.
It requires a relaxed view of intimacy with strangers, though.

The pay to suck ratio s rarely balanced. I got away from the in dealership part of the business 15/16 years ago and have worked with vendor partners or consulting ever since. I’m general, the in dealership culture of the business is terrible. Like I said, if you have another way to go, Godspeed and good luck
Honestly it’s mostly due to my family in GA and me in TN. I’ve been going back and forth for a year already.

I can just about guarantee there isn’t a dealership that I’d have it as good at as the one I work at.

That may be very true. I don’t know your situation. There are great stores in GA and terrible ones. Sometimes it’s tough to tell the difference till you’re in it. Good luck, however you choose to go.

VN Store

Back