Recruiting forum off topic thread (no politics, covid, or hot button issues)

Oh, Collegedale is a speed sinkhole pit with poison spikes in the bottom of it. lol

I just know every time I drive through Birchwood, one of the passengers invariably says, "You'd better drive the speed limit through here, man..." lol
I drive through downtown birchwood everyday twice a day and rarely is there a cop running radar. Now collegedale I got pulled over for running a yellow light. Not that it turned red while I was in the intersection I made it all the way through while it was yellow.

I drive through downtown birchwood everyday twice a day and rarely is there a cop running radar. Now collegedale I got pulled over for running a yellow light. Not that it turned red while I was in the intersection I made it all the way through while it was yellow.

You are correct. I've lived just off Birchwood Pike for decades and there is very little speed enforcement on that road. More than a few loud pipe speeders too.

Reactions: Orange_Crush
Can't stand Collegedale.

You're right about cost of living, but TN is 10-15 spots behind CA in every QoL list I've seen. Those types of things are also probably not super important to 17 year olds like these that are almost certainly only spending three years there before their next residence is determined by the draft.
Guess QOL is different for people. We have people moving here in droves from CA.

Guess QOL is different for people. We have people moving here in droves from CA.
Think what's about to happen in my county, Haywood, Blue Oval City is being built and is the largest electric car factory in the world. So yeah things about to change here from under 10,000 people my whole life to it about to at least double. Don't know how its going to affect everything around here.

The problem with those quality of life articles are that they are usually written by writers who find big city life attractive. I can only speak as a southern boy whose customer has many offices in LA so I spend many weeks a year there. If you want traffic everywhere you go all day, everything overpriced and higher crime/homeless on streets everywhere, then LA is probably for you. LA has beaches over Tennessee and pretty consistent weather if you can afford to live in those areas. So for me, I would take Tennessee for Quality of Life all day every day over LA, don't care what the articles say.

Most QoL metrics are objectively based. It isn't like "hey do you like mountains or beaches better" lol.

Actual QoL studies are scientifically and done worldwide. Based on things that tend to be universally desired such as Health, Education, Environmental Quality, Personal Security, Civic Engagement and Work-Life Balance.

Reactions: Geaux_Vols
It is definitely different for retirees I'd agree. TN gives them a tax haven and much cheaper housing, for nothing. Same reason some Americans move to Central or South America. Those people have played the system well. Make the best money out there, store value in expensive and rising houses in desirable locations, then move South when they no longer have to earn. Smart, I suppose. I'd rather we not become Florida 2.0 though.

Housing keeps rising across the south because of wealthy outside retirees and 2nd homes, while local economies and salaries can't support the same for locals. And so the wealth gap continues to grow.

Think what's about to happen in my county, Haywood, Blue Oval City is being built and is the largest electric car factory in the world. So yeah things about to change here from under 10,000 people my whole life to it about to at least double. Don't know how its going to affect everything around here.
Changing rapidly here.

Reactions: Allstate
It is definitely different for retirees I'd agree. TN gives them a tax haven and much cheaper housing, for nothing. Same reason some Americans move to Central or South America. Those people have played the system well. Make the best money out there, store value in expensive and rising houses in desirable locations, then move South when they no longer have to earn. Smart, I suppose. I'd rather we not become Florida 2.0 though.

Housing keeps rising across the south because of wealthy outside retirees and 2nd homes, while local economies and salaries can't support the same for locals. And so the wealth gap continues to grow.
Why are you assuming it’s retirees? Yeah, we have a lot of those, but they’re also bringing their children with grandkids. Have a lot of people who are working from home, people wanting to homestead, people wanting to homeschool on farms, people wanting to get out of cities, people wanting to leave states with high taxes and restrictions, etc. So basically those scientific tests about what people value as QOL may have to change because what people are wanting are changing.

Off topic but this reminded me of last Thursday’s Summer Reading program at a local homestead where they have bought up a lot of acres of old stripped out coal mines that was basically dirt and rocks like those desert pics y’all like. They have in a few years turned it into good pasture land and raise Scottish Highland cattle, Alpacas, etc. They have solar power and well water. Loved it

Why are you assuming it’s retirees? Yeah, we have a lot of those, but they’re also bringing their children with grandkids. Have a lot of people who are working from home, people wanting to homestead, people wanting to homeschool on farms, people wanting to get out of cities, people wanting to leave states with high taxes and restrictions, etc. So basically those scientific tests about what people value as QOL may have to change because what people are wanting are changing.

Off topic but this reminded me of last Thursday’s Summer Reading program at a local homestead where they have bought up a lot of acres of old stripped out coal mines that was basically dirt and rocks like those desert pics y’all like. They have in a few years turned it into good pasture land and raise Scottish Highland cattle, Alpacas, etc. They have solar power and well water. Loved it

Of course they have good pasture land, and Scottish Highland cattle, and Alpacas, and well water!

VN Store

Back