Starting weekend rotation for 2023

We’re not forgetting them, but Jucos tend to be a wild card, especially pitchers. You really don’t know what you’re gonna get. It’s likely a couple will have roles, but which ones and how big those roles are remains to be seen. As of right now, I’d project the following:

Weekend Starters

Chase Dollander-RHP
Chase Burns-RHP
Drew Beam-RHP

Midweek Starter

Zander Sechrist-LHP

Bullpen

Will Mabrey-LHP
Mark McLaughlin-RHP
Wyatt Evans-LHP
Dillon Orr-RHP
Hollis Fanning-RHP
Ethan Smith-RHP
Jake Fitzgibbons-LHP

Closer

Kirby Connell-LHP
Seth Halvorsen-RHP

The weekend starters and midweek starter are no-brainers. The question will be how the bullpen shakes out. I projected Orr in there because he’s such a highly thought of freshman. Which Jucos (and other freshmen, like maybe Hunter Sloop?) make the team and contribute, I don’t know, but one or two may replace Smith or Fitzgibbons in their roles…or one or both may develop under FA.
So is Halverson a closer or potential starter? Or is this an early season projection contingent on arm rehab? I had thought his role was to be more the latter if healthy. Also-how big of a drop-off do we see in the closing role with Redmond gone? Kirby seemed to progress nicely over the course of the season, so I’m really looking forward to seeing him and the other closers next year.

So is Halverson a closer or potential starter? Or is this an early season projection contingent on arm rehab? I had thought his role was to be more the latter if healthy. Also-how big of a drop-off do we see in the closing role with Redmond gone? Kirby seemed to progress nicely over the course of the season, so I’m really looking forward to seeing him and the other closers next year.

Big shoes to fill.

Didn't matter if they were batting right or left handed ....Redmond could get them out

Halverson has serious control issues. He is not guaranteed to do anything at this point. If he does anything it will be out of the bullpen. I could see him closing if he can throw strikes. The dude had 6+ ERA at Mizz. The starters are set in cement. No way Dollander, Burns, Beam are not the weekend guys. And Zander is mid week unless he is needed elsewhere.

Halverson has serious control issues. He is not guaranteed to do anything at this point. If he does anything it will be out of the bullpen. I could see him closing if he can throw strikes. The dude had 6+ ERA at Mizz. The starters are set in cement. No way Dollander, Burns, Beam are not the weekend guys. And Zander is mid week unless he is needed elsewhere.
Ya sound pretty sure and I would tend to agree. Ya never know what CFA has up his sleeve though…

Last edited:
Reactions: youcancallmeAl

I remember reading or hearing (perhaps from a Coach V interview) that Halverson was making great progress with Coach A prior to his initial injury.

Unless Dollander, Burns, or Beam is injured, he’s in the bullpen. I’m pegging him as a closer, but with his past starting experience, maybe he fills that Cam Sewell role next year as a utility guy who can be a spot starter or long relief if needed. It’ll be interesting to see how it shakes out.

VN Store

Back