Recruiting forum off topic thread (no politics, covid, or hot button issues)

The problem with those quality of life articles are that they are usually written by writers who find big city life attractive. I can only speak as a southern boy whose customer has many offices in LA so I spend many weeks a year there. If you want traffic everywhere you go all day, everything overpriced and higher crime/homeless on streets everywhere, then LA is probably for you. LA has beaches over Tennessee and pretty consistent weather if you can afford to live in those areas. So for me, I would take Tennessee for Quality of Life all day every day over LA, don't care what the articles say.

You're obviously entitled to your preference, and I don't intend to try to convince you otherwise. My family is from Tennessee and I enjoy visiting. Just pointing out your perception is LA isn't universally held, and there's a lot of data science showing people enjoy living there (people are into different stuff, after all). Beyond that, I just don't think that type of stuff really matters that much to 17 year olds that will be experiencing whichever city they end up in in such a different way than you or I would.

You're obviously entitled to your preference, and I don't intend to try to convince you otherwise. My family is from Tennessee and I enjoy visiting. Just pointing out your perception is LA isn't universally held, and there's a lot of data science showing people enjoy living there. And beyond that, I just don't think that type of stuff really matters that much to 17 year olds that will be experiencing whichever city they end up in in such a different way than you or I would.
In many (most) instances, the QoL of LA is determined by affordability. California, in general, has seen sharp declines in population over the past two years after seeing an increase every year before going back over 100 years. Covid and CA's obnoxious overreaching restrictions played a part in that, but so too, did the insane cost of living, especially for people financially impacted by Covid.

I have a family member that just moved from LA to Florida, and they said that the California people see on TV is not reality. Housing, gas, groceries...everything is unaffordable on an average salary, even by California standards.

So, yes, California and Los Angeles are beautiful places to live, and QoL is excellent there, probably better than Tennessee, but only for the disproportionately tiny fraction of people who can afford it.

I
Yep, I thought Kyler Kerbyson’s interview about Butch was interesting. He had four starting Oline about to quit the team bc no one had any idea who was favored to start, everyone was at each other’s throats. Butch did a great job stocking up talent, he just had no real leadership qualities and he never really had leadership in the lockerroom either bc of how he ran the team. Some coaches guys will run through a wall for; Butch had guys that wanted to physically stomp him.
Have it on good authority he flat out lied to Hurd about how he'd be used In the offense, and am sure thats only a small portion of all that went on under his time here. I don't like how Hurd left in the middle of the season but definitely don't blame him for leaving either.

Butch had the talent to make a run at the playoff in '15 and '16 and he completely screwed it up.

In many (most) instances, the QoL of LA is determined by affordability. California, in general, has seen sharp declines in population over the past two years after seeing an increase every year before going back over 100 years. Covid and CA's obnoxious overreaching restrictions played a part in that, but so too, did the insane cost of living, especially for people financially impacted by Covid.

I have a family member that just moved from LA to Florida, and they said that the California people see on TV is not reality. Housing, gas, groceries...everything is unaffordable on an average salary, even by California standards.

So, yes, California and Los Angeles are beautiful places to live, and QoL is excellent there, probably better than Tennessee, but only for the disproportionately tiny fraction of people who can afford it.

QoL is measured by a bit more than just affordability (healthcare, infrastructure, environment, economic opportunity, etc).

"Sharp declines" is doing a lot of work there. Over the last two years, the population of the state has decreased by about 300k, which is less than half a percent of the total population of 40million-ish.

Again, anecdotes don't tell the full story. I have friends that moved to LA from Louisiana and love it. Its an insignificant data point.

The "disproportionately tiny fraction of people" is still in the ballpark of 40million-ish.

But none of this matters because they're 17 and will live in a pampered, catered bubble their entire collegiate career because they are a star football player and then will be drafted to live somewhere else.

QoL is measured by a bit more than just affordability (healthcare, infrastructure, environment, economic opportunity, etc).

"Sharp declines" is doing a lot of work there. Over the last two years, the population of the state has decreased by about 300k, which is less than half a percent of the total population of 40million-ish.

Again, anecdotes don't tell the full story. I have friends that moved to LA from Louisiana and love it. Its an insignificant data point.

The "disproportionately tiny fraction of people" is still in the ballpark of 40million-ish.

But none of this matters because they're 17 and will live in a pampered, catered bubble their entire collegiate career because they are a star football player and then will be drafted to live somewhere else.
Let me qualify some of that...

All of the things you listed as pluses for CA's QoL are still predicated on your ability to afford to live there. So, intrinsically, affordability is at the bottom line of all those factors.

And the 300+ thousand people leaving there over a two-year period is a stark contrast to an annually increasing population that dates back over 100 years. 300k is a small percentage of 40 million, sure, but that wasn't the metric I was drawing a comparison to. Perhaps poor wording on my part to call it a sharp decline in population when I should have called it a sharp reversal in population trend. When for a hundred years you've seen nothing but 📈, and then suddenly for two straight years, it's 📉, that seems significant to me.

In the end, your last paragraph is where we'll find common ground. None of this matters to kids who are mostly thinking in a 3-4 year timeframe.

I would also say any list includes everything west of Nashville as part of the state, which all sucks.

I

Have it on good authority he flat out lied to Hurd about how he'd be used In the offense, and am sure thats only a small portion of all that went on under his time here. I don't like how Hurd left in the middle of the season but definitely don't blame him for leaving either.

Butch had the talent to make a run at the playoff in '15 and '16 and he completely screwed it up.

The 2016 team could have been a playoff team with competent coaching.

Reactions: InVOLuntary
KK had a whole podcast a couple weeks ago about the butch years. He covered the Mack Crowder incident and the Drae Bowles stuff. Also just the culture in general. It was a good listen. On YT if anyone is interested.

I know what you are talking about. It’s a good episode. Kind of beat hearing inside stuff from a former player.

The 15' team had Bama down in the 4th quarter and completely botched the UF and OU games.
why would you bring all those games up in one sentence? might as well bring up the Arkansas game implosion too......
giphy.gif

VN Store

Back