College Baseball - Transfer Portal Tracker

I just disagree with the premise that Vitello will automatically just turn the roster over every year to bring in top guys. People have said on here that there are very good players on our roster that haven't played and waiting in the wings. I know South Carolina and MSU's histories, but it isn't uncommon for schools like that to have a bunch of turnover in bad years. The coaches feel the heat and players are either told to leave or decide they don't want to play in a program that is not succeeding. I would guess the guy at South Carolina is on the hot seat. Lemonis is catching heat, too, as most fans think they should at least make the SECT.

Kingston is definitely on the hot seat. Lemonis is debatable. They had a tough year but are only a year removed from a national title.

I guess we will find out how the roster shapes up once Vitello starts filling up the class with talented HS studs top to bottom. There is always the possibility that he is able to find a way to do that without transfers where every other coaching staff hasn't.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Kingston is definitely on the hot seat. Lemonis is debatable. They had a tough year but are only a year removed from a national title.

I guess we will find out how the roster shapes up once Vitello starts filling up the class with talented HS studs top to bottom. There is always the possibility that he is able to find a way to do that without transfers where every other coaching staff hasn't.

I said earlier in the year that Lemonis has a lot of equity and is fine. But he has to correct it. They were embarrassed by our series, and they aren't happy with their pitching situation.

The problem is why would you want to bring in HS players who are unknown when you can bring in players that are proven. The Transfer Portal has made recruiting HS players and the recruiting class rankings obsolete. Right now you can go get top level fielders and pitchers for every position out of the transfer portal. If you had NIL money, it gets easier. You don't have to invest the time and energy to develop players when you can go get guys who are already strong, fast, skilled, and proven. No HS player comes in with those. The best HS teams and showcase teams cannot prepare you for the SEC. Just know that LSU has already lost players that have experience and there will be others leaving. Tommy Tanks has to play 3rd because 1st base is taken and he can't go anywhere else and play other than DH with his messed up arm. He can't throw the ball home most of the time from first. When you bring someone in someone leaves. Watch the Portal explode over the next 3 days as guys have to make choices. I'm interested to see who from UT puts themselves in it in the next 3 days.

It's frustrating because I know that we'll never support baseball the way we support football, and I have accepted that reality. It just means Vitello is going to have to continue to work magic and be a talent developer (as he has 100% shown already) in order to compete with the blue bloods that have donors who care about the sport. I have faith and trust Vitello can do it. I do think that we'll have to largely rely on high school talent and building that depth the "right" way because I have questions on whether or not we'll (i.e. Spyre) be willing to spend enough money on the baseball transfer portal to not let talent naturally collect itself at places like LSU.

I understand your frustration. Overall, I think college sports is currently going through a transition that everyone is attempting to navigate. In addition to NIL and the transfer portal, non-revenue sports such as baseball and softball will soon have the ability to have more scholarships and paid assistant coaches. The bluebloods with more financial resources will be at an advantage. As for Tennessee, like you, I have faith that Coach V and his staff will continue to be elite recruiters and talent developers. I also think that he has formed a great relationship with influential donors which I hope will continue to pay dividends (no pun intended) in the long term. He's already expressed support of NIL and its relationship to college baseball in relation to how Tennessee fans can support the program. While the level of support for baseball may not reach the level of football, Coach V and his staff have already shown that our program has the ability to compete at elite level in college baseball's toughest conference, and Tennessee fans have shown that we will turn out in droves to support our program. I believe there is long term staying power. It's fair to have questions about Spyre and its support of baseball. At the same time, I think they are savvy enough to recognize the potential that this here for baseball. In my opinion, it's up to the influential / big donors to open their wallets to support the program with regards to NIL, collectives, AND funding for additional scholarships and coaches once it's allowed.

I think how reliant we are on the transfer portal will depend on the depth and talent we have from season to season. The MLB draft will always be a factor. Like you, I trust that Coach V will continue to recruit well and develop depth.

Recruiting takes times and most of the top prospects are recruited and committed in the 8th grade to sophomore year of high school in baseball. These relationships and our success on the field probably won’t start to be seen till the 24 class which is ranked number 2.

Besides, you don’t want to be “too” highly ranked because that means you likely have a bunch of guys that are going to forego college anyway and go straight to the draft. It’s a balancing act.
Tn had the #2 class 2022 until most went pro instead or something like that? Seems like Moore and another player was the only ones who ended up signing here.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
The problem is why would you want to bring in HS players who are unknown when you can bring in players that are proven. The Transfer Portal has made recruiting HS players and the recruiting class rankings obsolete. Right now you can go get top level fielders and pitchers for every position out of the transfer portal. If you had NIL money, it gets easier. You don't have to invest the time and energy to develop players when you can go get guys who are already strong, fast, skilled, and proven. No HS player comes in with those. The best HS teams and showcase teams cannot prepare you for the SEC. Just know that LSU has already lost players that have experience and there will be others leaving. Tommy Tanks has to play 3rd because 1st base is taken and he can't go anywhere else and play other than DH with his messed up arm. He can't throw the ball home most of the time from first. When you bring someone in someone leaves. Watch the Portal explode over the next 3 days as guys have to make choices. I'm interested to see who from UT puts themselves in it in the next 3 days.

Definitely worried a bit about the next few days and what our attrition due to the transfer portal will look like. I will at least say that I am far less concerned than some fans of other schools might be because we do lose quite a bit of production in the lineup to the draft and to graduation so we have a TON of holes to fill next year. There will be a lot of opportunity for playing time available during Fall Camp and we have only brought in one sure fire starter in Ahuna and traction with other portal targets is unknown right now. I don’t think the portal and lack of opportunity will be a reason guys leave here but I could be wrong.

Disagree on the additional coaches and additional scholarships. Not going to happen. Too many small schools that cannot afford to add additional coaches or scholarships. Looking for the numbers but it was surprising the number of schools that did not have 2 full-time assistants and how many did not give the 11.7 scholarships they are allowed. They will never vote for it.
I think someone needs to look into the agreement between UT and Spyre overall. I've read multiple articles that talk about the low % of money that athletes actually get from NIL deals and what money goes to the companies like Spyre. I am in the process of looking at it from son's point. These companies, not putting Spyre in there yet because I don't know, are making millions off of the NIL deals and the players are getting very little when it ultimately comes down to it. One article said the players typically are only getting 7-9% of NIL deals. Other money is going to the companies at colleges across the US.

Disagree on the additional coaches and additional scholarships. Not going to happen. Too many small schools that cannot afford to add additional coaches or scholarships. Looking for the numbers but it was surprising the number of schools that did not have 2 full-time assistants and how many did not give the 11.7 scholarships they are allowed. They will never vote for it.
I think someone needs to look into the agreement between UT and Spyre overall. I've read multiple articles that talk about the low % of money that athletes actually get from NIL deals and what money goes to the companies like Spyre. I am in the process of looking at it from son's point. These companies, not putting Spyre in there yet because I don't know, are making millions off of the NIL deals and the players are getting very little when it ultimately comes down to it. One article said the players typically are only getting 7-9% of NIL deals. Other money is going to the companies at colleges across the US.

That number can't be correct. Spyre said 90% will go the athletes, and 10% will go to cover costs and overhead.

There is a rep from Spyre that now posts in the RF. I can tag him if interested. But, they are having a virtual Q&A tonight for all members.

Re: additional scholarships and coaches - I see your point about smaller schools being at a disadvantage. Unfortunately, mid major programs will take a hit. From a birdeye's view, I remember the stir and chatter the potential changes caused when the NCAA committee announced their recommendations. While it may or may not pass, this is something worth monitoring.

Agreed about the looking into the overall agreement between Tennessee and Spyre. It'll be interesting to see what details are within.

Also interesting and watching the impending exodus out of LSU.

That number can't be correct. Spyre said 90% will go the athletes, and 10% will go to cover costs and overhead.

There is a rep from Spyre that now posts in the RF. I can tag him if interested. But, they are having a virtual Q&A tonight for all members.

I hope so. If the NIL deals with volshop and alumni hall pay out 90% then that would be great. Where can I find the Q&A tonight?

That is how you build a program from nothing into prominence. Staying power requires you to get top guys year in and year out. Once you have a roster full of talented guys who come in with the notion of playing time>success>MLB draft, it is natural that "natural selection" (if you will) will cause transfers. This was also a thing (albeit to a lesser degree) before the transfer portal. It used to be D1>juco>draft/D1. Now it is D1>D1.

SC and MSU have been powerhouses for the last 3+ decades. Please don't tell me you forgot SC's run in the early 2010s and MSU has been an FSU-like figure for decades before finally getting over the hump last year against Vandy.

Edit: this is not a knock on any of those guys. Corbin/Vandy did the same thing with Pedro Alvarez and David Price among others. Every program has those transformational guys/class before the train starts rolling under its own momentum.

It is laughable (in my opinion) to think once Tennessee's classes get into the Top 25 (and especially Top 10 territory with LSU/Vandy/UF/etc.) that it won't have the same issues.

Second edit: Also a topic of interest going forward is Vitello's recruiting prowess. There are a plethora of reasons he is an outstanding recruiter at the moment. Will that continue once top kids chomp at the bit to commit to his program? UF/SC/Vandy all went through (or are still going through) issues relating to this.
Everyone of CTV’s classes have been top 25 and all but one have been in the top 10. We’re already there.

@WillAtSpyre - this is an athlete's father. He needs info about Spyre and about the Q&A tonight.

@preacherman20 we are having a Q&A for fans and members, but if your child is a student athlete at UT, happy to talk to you directly. You can email me will@spyresports.com and then we can exchange info and discuss whatever you need.

However, the overall answer for Spyre is yes, we take 10% of donations to cover overhead, the other 90% is used to pay athletes in various ways, but primarily the event series. That’s specifically the cut of membership/donation money. We don’t take any fees on any money from local businesses that reach out to us to connect them to athletes. We just help make that connection and make sure that any money from the local business is going directly to student athletes as they intended.

Glad to hear that Spyre is only taking 10% of all the deals they are doing. I know it costs money for you guys to do the deals but I'm so glad to hear that you are giving the money to the players. I've read so many articles that say that most companies are only giving the players a small % of the endorsement deals that they are doing along with things like the shirts and apparel that are being sold with the player's NIL. I will reach out but that is important for us as parents to hear that our players will be getting rewarded for their NIL's. Thanks again.

I came across another recruiting nugget on Skenes from the MSU 247 site. I think any of you with access to 247 can read it.

Baseball Bones 4.0

Essentially, don't expect a decision anytime soon. Skenes is waiting to make his decision until after playing with Team USA. Their last game is in the Netherlands on July 13th. After that, it sounds like he'll be taking additional visits including one to Arkansas. MSU is in the thick of it. The article also notes that Skenes is a cerebral person and is not prone to making an emotional decision.

Aside from MSU and Arkansas, the article does not mention other schools, but based on what's been mentioned other places, it seems like contenders are Tennessee, LSU, Arkansas and MSU.

I came across another recruiting nugget on Skenes from the MSU 247 site. I think any of you with access to 247 can read it.

Baseball Bones 4.0

Essentially, don't expect a decision anytime soon. Skenes is waiting to make his decision until after playing with Team USA. Their last game is in the Netherlands on July 13th. After that, it sounds like he'll be taking additional visits including one to Arkansas. MSU is in the thick of it. The article also notes that Skenes is a cerebral person and is not prone to making an emotional decision.

Aside from MSU and Arkansas, the article does not mention other schools, but based on what's been mentioned other places, it seems like contenders are Tennessee, LSU, Arkansas and MSU.

i'd sure like to have a cerebral catcher. I imagine so would all the coaches and pitchers.

VN Store

Back