The Supreme Court of the United States Thread

Reactions: AM64
This is fine parsing. They removed a constitutional right that had belonged to women for 50 years.

Even RBG admitted that Roe was not a sound reading of the constitution. There's no other western country that covers the right to abortion in their constitution or their courts. This issue is settled legislatively, including Canada. It's nuts that this has been up to our SCOTUS for 50 yrs and has made our confirmation hearings a circus as well. It was never a constitutional right.

Having said all that, this is an issue that Congress should settle through laws that apply to the entire country. I am a Goldwater conservative who gets squirmy when gov't gets too involved so I do support a right to abortions in many but not all cases. We can't have a country where a woman in Ann Arbor has a right to an abortion but a woman in Toledo, OH does not. That's also nuts.

Reactions: TRUEFANVol
Even RBG admitted that Roe was not a sound reading of the constitution. There's no other western country that covers the right to abortion in their constitution or their courts. This issue is settled legislatively, including Canada. It's nuts that this has been up to our SCOTUS for 50 yrs and has made our confirmation hearings a circus as well. It was never a constitutional right.

Having said all that, this is an issue that Congress should settle through laws that apply to the entire country. I am a Goldwater conservative who gets squirmy when gov't gets too involved so I do support a right to abortions in many but not all cases. We can't have a country where a woman in Ann Arbor has a right to an abortion but a woman in Toledo, OH does not. That's also nuts.

She still believed it to be a constitutional issue.

That's absolutely nuts. What other subject do you apply the absurdity of federalism to? Guns, speed limits, alcohol, where's your line in the sand that the feds shouldn't be crossing?

That's absolutely nuts. What other subject do you apply the absurdity of federalism to? Guns, speed limits, alcohol, where's your line in the sand that the feds shouldn't be crossing?
Guns are a right in the Constitution. Alcohol consumption and speed limits are not rights

Reactions: SlipKidVol
This is fine parsing. They removed a constitutional right that had belonged to women for 50 years.
No such constitutional right ever existed and still doesn’t. SCOTUS wrote legislation from the bench that’s bad. And Congress never back filled with actual legislation which would have codified any such right OR privilege.

The ruling now is the correct ruling on how the Constitution and federal laws are written today. You’re a lawyer. If you feel strongly enough that this requires federal protections then get to work putting them in place via the proper frame work.

No such constitutional right ever existed and still doesn’t. SCOTUS wrote legislation from the bench that’s bad. And Congress never back filled with actual legislation which would have codified any such right OR privilege.

The ruling now is the correct ruling on how the Constitution and federal laws are written today. You’re a lawyer. If you feel strongly enough that this requires federal protections then get to work putting them in place via the proper frame work.
But then they would lose it as a wedge issue. Can't have that.

Why? Abortion isn't a federal issue.

Abortion is a right. Depending on which side you're on, it's either a right of the mother or a right of the unborn, but it is a right and should be spelled out in federal legislation like civil rights bills

I sure did. Rights should be a federal issue. Regulation should be a state thing

What? That makes no sense what so ever. Protection of individual liberty and rights should be the number 1 priority of government at all levels but abortion isn't a covered constitutional right nor IMO a natural right. We are too big of a country with a diverse population to have 1 size fits all laws (outside of what's addressed in the constitution).

Reactions: AM64 and davethevol
Abortion is a right. Depending on which side you're on, it's either a right of the mother or a right of the unborn, but it is a right and should be spelled out in federal legislation like civil rights bills

Then work to amend the constitution, otherwise it falls within the purview of the state.

From a musician that had an album called Dookie....and American Idiot

Green Day's Billie Joe Armstrong says he's renouncing his US citizenship: 'F--- America'

"F--- America, I’m f---ing renouncing my citizenship," Armstrong said. "I’m f---ing coming here." "There’s just too much f---ing stupid in the world to go back to that miserable f---ing excuse for a country," Armstrong added.

Armstrong lives in California, but says he's going to move to the UK in protest of the Dobbs decision. Even after the Dobbs decision, California still has much more liberal abortion laws than the UK.

Let’s be sure we’re using the correct terms then. Any “right” granted by any government legislative body isn’t a right it’s a privilege since they can legislatively take it back away also.

I don't understand why you'd make that distinction. As we just saw, the Judicial branch can also take back a right

VN Store

Back