Roe vs Wade Overturned

I’m for defining a range of viability, so probably somewhere between 20 weeks on the early side and 26 weeks on the later side.
Fair enough.
For the record, I’m still in flux about what I think.
I object to the personal moral grounds But again I’m not my brothers keeper.
At the moment I’m leaning pill only before 10 weeks.

Not that anyone cares what I think

Reactions: OHvol40
Fair enough.

Not to harp on the same stats, but since 93% of abortions are prior to 13 weeks, I think that would be a great starting point for most state legislatures.

I believe that it is normal to feel protective of pregnant women and averse to abortions. When I voiced that many years ago to an older woman friend, she looked at me as if I did not know what it was to be a pregnant woman. She was a church lady and told me about a friend of hers who sang in the church choir and became pregnant by a man who also sang in the choir. Those were the days before abortions were legally protected. Long story short, my old church lady's friend committed suicide. When she told me that, there was no doubt in my mind that she felt from the marrow of her soul that an abortion would have saved her friend's life.

Some women kill themselves after abortions. It seems like a weak/emotional argument that doesn’t hold up.

You can say what you want, all holier than thou.
Yeah, how dare he force his moral views on you, particularly the ones where he believes murder is wrong.

how-dare-you-greta-thunberg.gif

@Bassmaster_Vol?

I do so love these high quality discussions.

It’s impossible to have high quality discussions with someone who randomly starts talking about suicide and then agrees it’s not actually relevant.

So why do you have to be a woman to have an opinion?

Do only rapists and rape victims get to decide rape laws? Do you have any real reasoning here or do you just like bumper stickers?

Reactions: Vol423
Does this logic work for Assault Weapons too?

Don’t believe in guns? That’s fine, don’t get one.
What do you mean "believe in guns" that doesn't make any sense

But yeah, I can hate guns and still be gunned down buying my milk and bread, if that answers your question.

Like most other things in life, it seems thoughts, feelings and opinions on this topic follow a traditional bell-shaped curve. There are likely 2.5% of the population that believe abortion of any kind after conception is wrong. There are likely 2.5% of the population that believe a woman should be able to have that choice right up to the moment of delivery. Then 95% of the population probably lies within those two extremes.

I like to look at data. Going back to 2019, there were 3.7 million live births and 630,000 abortions. Therefore 85% of pregnancies went on to child birth. 99% of abortions were performed before 21 weeks (93% before 13 weeks). Therefore 99.9% of pregnancies that were carried past 21 weeks went on to childbirth.

When I see it like that, it seems that the country’s actual behavior regarding pregnancy, childbirth and abortion could possibly provide a guidance for what is obviously a very heated subject.
Great post with data driven logic. You will now of course be punished mercilessly for rational thinking.

Reactions: newyorkvol
Fair enough.

What about mail order pills sanctioned by the Feds into states which would not allow that procedure at the time point in the pregnancy or no for pills at all ?

If I remember right you live in Oregon or Washington state? So you’ve likely got a chance with that dumbassery being accepted there.
I believe we will be better for it if one of those states does.

I’d like to see 2-3 states firmly anchor us on Both ends of the continuum (shoutout to Luther), and about 48 others mixed all along said continuum.

What a grand experiment that would be.

Reactions: MemphisVol77
I believe we will be better for it if one of those states does.

I’d like to see 2-3 states firmly anchor us on Both ends of the continuum (shoutout to Luther), and about 48 others mixed all along said continuum.

What a grand experiment that would be.
Eh I’m not sure extremism either way will make us better off but I agree it would be a grand experiment. And I’d like to see data from both extremes over a couple of years.

Ok understood. To understand further are you asking for the constitutional protection of the not a life/life timeline crossing or constitutional protections for pro-choice? In the end it’s likely a moot question since the result is the same just trying to understand where you’re coming from.

I’d submit today there are zero constitutional protections related to any medical procedures and such governance is left to state medical boards.

I guess I’m saying philosophically there is a point in the timeline where we have a real person that is more than just biological life. I believe there should be constitutional protection for that person to not be killed.

Before that point, there should be constitutional protection for a women to make a choice for what she wants.

Viability is a stupid standard. No baby on earth can survive outside the womb without complete and total care.

No baby below 21 weeks have ever survived outside of the womb with total and complete care, which is the point and why my standard is 20 weeks. Suggesting it's a stupid standard after misrepresenting the argument is stupid.

VN Store

Back