College Baseball - Transfer Portal Tracker

Probably five or six years ago the city of Elizabethton had set aside over $1 million for renovation of a city owned building. Then it became apparent that they needed to upgrade the ballpark to keep the Twins there, so they shifted the money to Joe O’Brien Field. Then here comes minor league downsizing, so they lost the Twins affiliation which they had for probably 30 or more years. A crying shame.

Similarly, Wichita built a brand-new stadium for the move of the AAA New Orleans team. Then with the downsizing and realignment, instead they got a AA team. There’s probably a significant cost difference in building a new AAA park versus a new AA park.

There are plenty of other examples of cities and towns getting messed over by MLB. You don’t grow the game by eliminating teams.
I grew up going to watch games in the Appy League and have fond memories of the Kingsport Mets. In college I spent time watching the Tidewater Tides. Is MLB ultimately planning to leverage college baseball as more of their farm system moving forward? As an outsider, seeing the reduction in the draft and elimination of numerous minor league teams makes it seem like they are placing more emphasis on college players.

Last edited:
I don't get to follow as much as I would like, are we still after the catcher from AF? Does he have a timetable for his decision? And what about Tommy Tanks? Is there any info on if we're chasing other transfers?

Reactions: StarRaider
I don't get to follow as much as I would like, are we still after the catcher from AF? Does he have a timetable for his decision? And what about Tommy Tanks? Is there any info on if we're chasing other transfers?

Tanks is taking his time, but Tennessee is in it. FSU is the favorite. Haven’t heard if he will visit. Skenes’ visit went well, but he will reportedly take 5 OVs. Tennessee is considered the front runner.

Yes, we are still in it for both Skenes and White. Skenes is taking all five of his visits, so no timetable for a decision. We are hoping that White may visit at some point.

No word on other transfers yet.

Bradfield is the only surefire starter that will be back. Jones is probably gone in the draft. Keegan graduated. The rest of the team is up for grabs.

It will make it hard if their #1/2 class (depending on source) is again gutted by the draft. Only time will tell until the signing deadline.

I am also watching top ranked classes at Florida and LSU closely for draft attrition. The SEC next year will depend a lot on who signs and who doesn't. There are 11-15 legitimate, 1st round talents signed to Vandy, LSU, Florida.

Edit: MSU and Auburn are also going to be interesting. Several 1st round talents there too. MSU has a switch-pitcher who sits in the low 90s from both sides with 3 plus pitches on either side.
Saw a little brief on espn. That pitcher is amazing.

Reactions: nashvillepanther
Question is, do you want a guy that hits 30 homers but is a mediocre fielder that may make lots of errors……sometimes passing on a player is the best answer

It would depend on just how bad the defense is and if we think it is something that can be improved. Devers was a pretty awful defensive 3rd basemen his first few years with the Red Sox and he has made drastic improvements. I just don’t know what type of fielding prospect White is and if he is fixable or beyond saving.

Reactions: GenRRN
This is my thought as well. Denton probably means no Tommy Tanks. It also probably means Lawson is gone if we’re searching for a 3B. Denton would be a fine replacement. I always knew Tommy would be a long shot. But, Denton is solid.

Yes, he has solid offensive numbers, but not as good as Trey. Defensively, he only made four errors in 132 chances. For reference, Trey made 11 errors in 142 errors. So we would get better defense, and less offense than last year.

Yes, he has solid offensive numbers, but not as good as Trey. Defensively, he only made four errors in 132 chances. For reference, Trey made 11 errors in 142 errors. So we would get better defense, and less offense than last year.

It’s definitely a step down from what we had, but you would hope that Ahuna is a step up from Lawson, so the left side of the infield could still be better if you look at it like that.

It’s definitely a step down from what we had, but you would hope that Ahuna is a step up from Lawson, so the left side of the infield could still be better if you look at it like that.

Not a step down defensively. In fact a step up. And if I have to choose between offense and defense, I would usually choose defense. I like corner infielders to give us power. Denton hit 13 homers last year. That's probably equivalent to 17 in LNS, and I would take that. All in all, I would be happy with Denton. And as you say, Ahuna plus Denton = Lawson+Trey offensively, and likely better defensively also.

VN Store

Back